OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I think the worst is over, and my remaining fish all seem to be doing well. My Thompsons tang got ich really bad, and then got pop eye when I started hypo, but its back to normal and he's looking much better. All the other fish seem to be doing well, and even my Adornatus male is seen courting for the females often.

As for the tank itself, it looks like crap right now since I've been busy and haven't put much effort into maintenance. Green cyano is covering most of the rocks, so I'm working on doing a bunch of water changes right now to help clean the water. Plus, I've reduced my lighting and will be feeding less to help get it back in control.

Nothing big in this update, just happy things seem to have stabilized. I did lose a bunch of wrasses (super male filamented, super male line spotted, both eightline flashers, blue flasher, spotfin butterfly). However, I do still have:

• Hooded Fairy male
  • longfin fairy
  • trio of adornatus
  • candy yellow hogfish
  • orange shoulder tang
  • thompsons tang
  • black/scopas tang
  • Lamarks angel
  • bellus angel
  • and my big blueface angel.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bout the losses man, glad things are getting better though.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brett. Just ordered some stuff to help out with cleaning the tank initially, like Rowaphos (first time trying) and a big bag of ChemiPure Elite (which works awesome).

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian, sorry to hear about the losses, but glad to hear your remaining fish are doing well. I'm sure you'll have the cyano knocked out in no time.

-Terry

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...the 8 weeks of hypo officially ends on Friday and I'm excited. The remaining fish look great and are doing well. Now comes water changes while bringing up the salinity. I have several weeks to get it up where it needs to be, so I'm in no hurry really. Next steps:

Going to Premium Aquatics this weekend to buy probably 50-75lbs of rock to replace all my rock. My rock was all dry to start with and I believe is the cause of my neverending green cyano. I've NEVER had cyano before....and I've never done an entire tank in dry rock either so I'm thinking thats the cause. I'm going to let the rock sit in the quarantine tank for a few weeks while doing water changes to ensure I keep ammonia down. I only have a single shrimp the quarantine tank so he should be ok.

Once the rock is ready, I'll start moving out the dry rock and put in the new rock. Probably wait a week in between switching out rock to ensure a semi-smooth transfer. I do plan to buy cured rock so it should be fine after a few weeks in my QT.

Really want to buy fish, haha, but I need to wait until all that new live rock is in the tank. Plus, I have to raise my salinity up before I put the dry rock in so it doesn't all just die off. So its at least another month or two before I can buy new fish. It'll be worth it in the end.

Remaining fish:
Large Blue Face Angel
Bellus Angel
Black/Scopas tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Thompsons Tang
Hooded Fairy Wrasse
Long Fin Fairy Wrasse
Adornatus Wrasse Trio

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like your ich battle is almost over,sorry to hear you lost some fish though...glad to hear the remaining fish have beat it,can't wait to new pics of the restocking process,you always seem to choose some of the most beautiful fish :D

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryan, how has your hooded wrasse been? Have you added any other wrasses after him? I just ask cause Ive heard mixed reviews about their aggressiveness.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, much apprecated. I can't wait to get back into it :)

Brett, my Hooded Fairy has been great...no aggression at all, even on new comers. My Long Fin Fairy is the aggressor in my tank, who has to pester every new wrasse for a day or two.

Last edited:

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that the survivors are doing well. Any thought to what new fish you'll be getting when the time comes?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that the survivors are doing well. Any thought to what new fish you'll be getting when the time comes?

I've been thinking about that as well, and have a few fish in mind. A Bluejaw trigger and a Mitriatus Butterfly are two that I definitely want. I also want to snag a pair of Eightline Flashers since I feel like I helped started the craze before they all came in :)

Other than that, probably some nice wrasses and another tang. I'm really digging that juvenile blonde Naso that LADD has right now.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to hear that your treatment is over and now you can get back to enjoying your tank!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see pic's of your fish happily swimming around in their home again! Makes me want some more Wrasses...

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Looking forward to the next few months and getting interested in the tank again....all the while Julie wants me to take it down, haha.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the trek to Premium today and picked up just over 50lbs of Mandano live rock. Its sitting in my quarantine tank now and will until I can get my salinity back up in the display, which I have water being made now to start. Once my salinity is up, I plan to take out ALL the rock in the display, since its likely all dead, and put in this new live rock.

Once that is done, I plan to do my dry rock with acid wash or that other chemical is (forget the name:))to pull out all the phosphates. Then I'll add that rock back into the tank so it'll be seeded as well. I'll probably try to get one more large order of live rock in before that as well.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was just checking out your system and noticed you plan to possibly add in a Blue Throat/Blue Jaw Trigger.... I would either add it as your last fish or skip it in general. Mine was excellent for 2 years, then went on a killing spree and took out 3 Bartlett Anthias, and went after several other smaller fish before I finally just broke down my tank and got rid of him. I would hate to hear about you losing some more sweet fish because a screw got loose in one of these guys head. FWIW, I fed 3-4 times daily and heavy feedings, hunger wasnt the issue he would bite them in the stomach shake like a pitbull until they died and then drop them and look for his next target! He left coral, hermits, cleaner shrimp, and snails alone tho LOL

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Chort55. I had one in a smaller tank and he was a very peaceful citizen, and would eat out of my hand. Many of these fish have different personalities just like us. I do appreciate you sharing your experience all the while I'm not trying to downplay your story at all. Sorry to hear that he went of a killing spree in your tank. Maybe its a difference in a male vs. female? Pretty sure I had a female in mine.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back