Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love those fish!

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on water changes, but getting close :) One plus on all these water changes is that my cyano seems to had almost completely dissipated.

This is my tank below...yup...looks like crap, haha. A few other pics below of my Blueface and then my Hooded Fairy that is still in hiding but getting braver.

2012-04-30_19-46-16_388.jpg

2012-04-30_19-49-55_79.jpg

2012-04-30_19-49-39_298.jpg

2012-04-30_19-49-53_574.jpg

2012-04-30_19-50-06_254.jpg

Brian,that blue face is awesome...looks like you're about back to where you need to be...the tank don't look too bad

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Willie. I've been looking closely at my fish the last few days and noticed a few white specks on them...hopefully its just debris or something. Its very tiny, so I hope I'm just seeing things, haha.

If ich came back after all this work, it would likely be the end of this hobby for me.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully it is just sand particles and not ich...

my PB tang has had what I assume is ich for a several months now but it doesn't seem to be bothering him,I've been feeding him well and he seems to be getting better,hopefully he will over come it whatever it is,'cause theres noway I can catch him in my tank and QT him and with coral,I can't medicate the tank or do the hyposalinity treatment either...

something else I do and you can try too,if you haven't already and PaulB does it for his fish,is add the Omega 3 fish oil to their food,I get the fish oil pills from Wally world,I just cut the capsule open and squeeze the oil out into some flake food and pellets and let it soak in the oil and feed it 3 or 4 times a week....

according to PaulB,the omega 3 fish oil helps keep the fish immune system in top notch shape and helps them to fight off ich and any other illness they may have...that's all I've been doing for mine and the PB tang has already lived much longer than any other fish I've had that had ich and not been in a medicated QT,his color and appetite are both still great,he just has the little bumps still and some days they are completely gone but in a day or 2 I notice 'em back again

I had gone for over 3 years and not seen any signs of ich in my tank,my mistake was to add a B/W clownfish from a LFS without QTing it,I hadn't noticed until the next day that it had ich but after a few days or rolling around in the RBTA,it had cleared up,but after that,my PB tang had the little bumps...I have always had issues with LFS fish purchases but never had any issues from on-line vendors

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I have been soaking their food in Selcon and stuff when I get time, but thats not very often. I do feed nori once or twice a day though, which is supposed to be infused with garlic as well.

I'll try the Omega 3 fish oil thing as well....I also need to put my big UV back online to kill things in the water and help keep the tank clear.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I have been soaking their food in Selcon and stuff when I get time, but thats not very often. I do feed nori once or twice a day though, which is supposed to be infused with garlic as well.

I'll try the Omega 3 fish oil thing as well....I also need to put my big UV back online to kill things in the water and help keep the tank clear.

good idea on the UV,I need to reconnect mine as well,that may be why I can't seen to get rid of it...what puzzles me is that it is only on my PB tang,my yellow tang doesn't have any signs at all,nor any other of my fish,but the PB tang is fat and seems to be very healthy otherwise

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is odd. I do see those spots on just two of my fish, but not on the black tang. Hopefully it is just sand or debris, haha.

Good luck, keep us posted :)

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its done. Operation rock swap had been completed. Not 100% sure I love the aquascape, but I think it'll suffice for now. I build three islands again, the middle is actually two HUGE pieces of rock where the two sides are small pieces, built up to create two large caves inside for my bigger fish. I do plan to put more rock in there eventually to give my wrasses and smaller fish a good place to sleep at night :)

As for fish, I took out all my wrasses and they are in my QT. My Hooded Fairy is in the sump for now, but will go back into the QT to try to beef him up a bit before going back into the DT. I need to give away those other wrasses first, haha.

Pics to come later.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a new pic: Doesn't look very good in the picture, but you get the idea. Not really loving the 'scape much, but I'll likely leave it for a while. At least it looks better than my last picture, haha, so progress has been made :)

2012-05-04_17-23-39_615.jpg

2012-05-04_17-24-18_889.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I'm back in this thing now. Tank looks awesome and fish are great. Taking a closer look at my Thompsons tang reviled that the small white spots were just a few scales pulled back. He still has a bunch of scratches and stuff on him from the ich breakout, so I feel I'm home free in regards to ich. I've been soaking their food in garlic elixir and am planning to try Omega 3 fish oil as suggested by another member.

As for fish, I'm working on a few surprises right now that I'm really excited about. Also working on obtaining some 'uncommon' clowns as well (growing tired of the designer clowns). If I can get a hold of the fish I'm trying to get there will be fish envy around here, haha :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
according to PaulB,the omega 3 fish oil helps keep the fish immune system in top notch shape and helps them to fight off ich and any other illness they may have..

Actually I said to do that before the fish gets sick to keep them in good shape. After they are sick is too late.
Besides the oil, feeding live blackworms is also great, even much better than Selcon.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Paul. I couldn't remember what thread it was that you talked about that....low and behold it was just a page back, haha. I meant to get Julie to pick some up today while she was out but forgot. My fish are healthy once again so I might try to add this to their food.

In regards to live Blackworms, do you know anywhere online to pick some up? Do you culture these yourself?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I'll update this in hopes that people will enjoy it more now that I'm finally buying fish again, haha.

First, a few new additions (all from Divers Den):

Mitritus Butterflyfish
DSC_3970.jpg

Blue Stripe Akindynos Clownfish
DSC_3985.jpg

Tiny female Blonse Naso
DSC_4001.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll end my posting tonight with a tease in saying I've ordered two more fish. (likely my last fish for a little bit)

They should be here Friday and I'm very excited about them.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful selection of fish Bryan! Any chance of a FTS with everyone back in their home?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Scott. I'm really enjoying these fish already and look forward to them all being in the DT. As for a FTS, I can get a new one, but with only 6 fish in a 220, its not that impressive, haha. My Blueface and tangs like to claim both of the big caves, so its hard to get a pic where you can see all of them out and about.

The fish coming in tomorrow will give the tank a splash of red.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they Wrasses?

Yes sir. Funny the title of my build thread says Wrasses and more, yet I don't have a single wrasse in there right now. haha.

Landing tomorrow is a large male Eightline Flasher and a beautiful Jewel Leopard :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back