Bryopsis algae

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So after reading the pinned guide to algae on here, I am 99% sure I have Bryopsis
F38FC90F-7677-46B1-8787-1489AB7AFAB2.jpeg

I also have bubble algae but that’s not a big concern at this point. I thought these algaes were due to my nitrates and phosphates which have been as high as 20 and 0.14. I’ve been plucking off as much bryopsis as I can but it continues to grow mainly in one spot on my SPS rock but there have been small patches popping up throughout. I’ve added NPX bioplastics to help reduce my values but the bryopsis kept growing. So I added some chaeto to the sump. The chaeto’s been growing nicely but so has this algae. I just tested my water and pho’s was at 0.01 and nitrates at 2. I just read the pinned guide and it’s telling me that the source of nutrients for the bryopsis are nitrites and ammonia! I didn’t know! I don’t normally test my nitrites and ammonia but I did now. Nitrites seem like 0.05. I’m not too sure about ammonia. Maybe 0? Maybe 0.4?
F36B0E07-A232-4E2B-8577-325543CF87DE.jpeg

4EA40650-F46F-4785-9FA6-550A095B7687.jpeg
Of note, I did have an electric scallop and a blue star leopard wrasse disappear within the last two months. I’ve never found either body. Could this be why my levels are elevated? Should I look for dead tank mates? Do I add microbacter? I want to get these levels normal (if they aren’t normal) mainly because I don’t like the algae!

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some flux rx or reef flux . This will take care of bryopsis.

I doubt you have ammonia or nitrite.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after reading the pinned guide to algae on here, I am 99% sure I have Bryopsis
F38FC90F-7677-46B1-8787-1489AB7AFAB2.jpeg

I also have bubble algae but that’s not a big concern at this point. I thought these algaes were due to my nitrates and phosphates which have been as high as 20 and 0.14. I’ve been plucking off as much bryopsis as I can but it continues to grow mainly in one spot on my SPS rock but there have been small patches popping up throughout. I’ve added NPX bioplastics to help reduce my values but the bryopsis kept growing. So I added some chaeto to the sump. The chaeto’s been growing nicely but so has this algae. I just tested my water and pho’s was at 0.01 and nitrates at 2. I just read the pinned guide and it’s telling me that the source of nutrients for the bryopsis are nitrites and ammonia! I didn’t know! I don’t normally test my nitrites and ammonia but I did now. Nitrites seem like 0.05. I’m not too sure about ammonia. Maybe 0? Maybe 0.4?
F36B0E07-A232-4E2B-8577-325543CF87DE.jpeg

4EA40650-F46F-4785-9FA6-550A095B7687.jpeg
Of note, I did have an electric scallop and a blue star leopard wrasse disappear within the last two months. I’ve never found either body. Could this be why my levels are elevated? Should I look for dead tank mates? Do I add microbacter? I want to get these levels normal (if they aren’t normal) mainly because I don’t like the algae!

You can use live phyto or macroalgae if you just want to control your nuisance algae types.

I treated my bryopsis with Reef Flux and I treated my bubble algae with Vibrant. I used Vibrant before, during and after Reef Flux (3 weeks with Reef Flux, but 3 months with Vibrant). Because it took so long and got worse before it got better, the overall experience got me to tighten up future coral QT & dip processes so they don't get reintroduced in future in my tank. BRS has a nice 2019 video on the three types I'm now going to be doing: 1)hydrogen peroxide, 2) iodine based, 3) natural based, and considering 4) Bayer (not in BRS video) as an insecticide for buggy pests because I wouldn't those introduced either!

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis is no fun, but not the worst. That would be dinos. Driving phosphate and nitrate to 0 will starve your corals as much as the bryopsis and would put you at risk for Dino’s. Sadly most CUC will not touch bryopsis and it’s removal from rock is difficult. If you rip it off and loose some on your way to your tab water container, it will propagate. If you can’t locally control then Fluconazole is the way to go, as pointed out above. Used correctly it will eliminate bryopsis. Must however not reintroduce.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis isn't really like your run of the mill gha etc... fluconazole is the most effective way of eradicating it. Use the pill form and dose it at or just a little less than what is recommended.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back