Bryopsis Algae?

Sallycarle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this bryopsis algae or maybe hair algae? My tank has been set up for almost a month. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!
20210927_120140.jpg
20210927_120002.jpg
20210927_120055.jpg
20210927_115817.jpg
20210927_115807.jpg

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning towards bryopsis based on the few pictures I’ve seen but I’m no expert. Hopefully an expert will come along soon and give you a better answer. Although where it’s thick and bushy it looks more like gha.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m leaning towards bryopsis based on the few pictures I’ve seen but I’m no expert. Hopefully an expert will come along soon and give you a better answer. Although where it’s thick and bushy it looks more like gha.
Looks like flagellates, not to be confused with algae that has an air bubble that has landed on it known as dinos. Not all species of flagllates are bad. Try blowing loose with a turkey baster and net the loose stuff anddiscard. Can also be manually scraped off. Scrubbing off any on rocks will be effective, Also increase skimming,
Bryopsis has a distinct root system which im not seeing in pics.

Upvote 0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like flagellates, not to be confused with algae that has an air bubble that has landed on it known as dinos. Not all species of flagllates are bad. Try blowing loose with a turkey baster and net the loose stuff anddiscard. Can also be manually scraped off. Scrubbing off any on rocks will be effective, Also increase skimming,
Bryopsis has a distinct root system which im not seeing in pics.

So flagellates look like these with a fern leaf appearance?

1632790387630.png

1632790483718.png

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its one type

Upvote 0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be surprised if vetteguy is correct (the guy is a SW wiz), however my money is on bryopsis, because of the branching ends commonly seen with bryopsis.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sallycarle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. I appreciate it. So does it make sense that is grows mostly on the glass and the dry rock but not the live rock?

Upvote 0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. I appreciate it. So does it make sense that is grows mostly on the glass and the dry rock but not the live rock?
It does because the live rock has most likely gone through this stage. Probably encrusted with some type of coraline already

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It does because the live rock has most likely gone through this stage. Probably encrusted with some type of coraline already
Thats my concern, bryopsis rarely grows on glass as it needs to root itself, and im not seeing roots.
reduction of white light intensity will also slow either down.
By chance is your tank at or near a window ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sallycarle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats my concern, bryopsis rarely grows on glass as it needs to root itself, and im not seeing roots.
reduction of white light intensity will also slow either down.
By chance is your tank at or near a window ?
I have a lot of windows but it is not right next to a window. I try to keep the curtains closed until the sun passes in the morning. I have turned the lights off and skimmer is working good but that's all I've tried so far until I got more info on what it is. I didn't want to start adding stuff that would make things worse.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a lot of windows but it is not right next to a window. I try to keep the curtains closed until the sun passes in the morning. I have turned the lights off and skimmer is working good but that's all I've tried so far until I got more info on what it is. I didn't want to start adding stuff that would make things worse.
Youd be surprised of the power of UV and its effects. I suspected a nearby window, Even with blinds and curtains, UV will penertrate and cause algae issues. Black construction paper from walmart does filter out well

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sallycarle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youd be surprised of the power of UV and its effects. I suspected a nearby window, Even with blinds and curtains, UV will penertrate and cause algae issues. Black construction paper from walmart does filter out well
So I tried blowing off with turkey baster nothing came off. It's stuck on there really good. I had a saltwater tank 8 years ago but just started up a new one a month ago now that I have more time. I never had any of these issues with my old tank. So this is all new and confusing to me. Is there a good place to go to to try to understand all of this dinoflagellates/flagellates? I'm so confused are they different the same? You said not all are bad. How do I find out what I have and how to treat it? Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it.....

Upvote 0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have not done it yet, look up some pictures of Bryopsis and Bryopsis on glass..

OP said this stuff on the glass was killed with reef flux:
1633033029450.png

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I tried blowing off with turkey baster nothing came off. It's stuck on there really good. I had a saltwater tank 8 years ago but just started up a new one a month ago now that I have more time. I never had any of these issues with my old tank. So this is all new and confusing to me. Is there a good place to go to to try to understand all of this dinoflagellates/flagellates? I'm so confused are they different the same? You said not all are bad. How do I find out what I have and how to treat it? Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it.....
If it has roots- theyre bad. You must get rid of roots to get rid of problem

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back