Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sharkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day four for me and my Algae actually looks to be flourishing and growing :mad:. I'm taking pictures and documenting along the way and will post everything when the cycle period is over. I know this Hair Algae comes from Phosphates. I'm running High Capacity GFO from BRS. Change it out every 3 weeks. Cut feeding way back Only feed every other day now, once per day. The rock is one year old Pukani from BRS. Algae has been there going on about 2 months now. Just exploded. I first thought it was the T5 bulbs. Changed them out 2 weeks ago. And cut back the photoperiod. Changed all my RODI filters so I'm at zero. Was at 1 TDS for a week. Now I just ordered some PhosRX to try after this cycle is over. I just don't think its a good idea to mix the two together.

Weird part is I do see lots more algae floating in the water column and in my filter socks. So something has to be working right! I'm just too dang stubborn to give up. I shall prevail! Let the cycle continue.

:)

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting today. 500mg into 100L.

58f28f9f45b603fef407e1e5dfcb32e8.jpg

e26a223138918bb248259ee82deca8ce.jpg

Day 5
50d667da49b655eaebc2cba39c2e18ab.jpg

Day 10
35c832efeaf7ea9970667817dab44fed.jpg

Progressing well. No losses in my zeovit system. A bit more cyano and bubble algae from the skimmer being off and reducing carbon dosing but will sort those later.

Gaz uk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a little bit of grow back from the little tufts that were not killed after two doses in the shaded areas, on Wednesday gone into the cabinet to do some maintenance and I noticed that my deltec skimmer was not working, it was ok the day before, had a look at it seems dead so I thought perfect opportunity to start my third dose to try and clear up the remaining algea.
I have a new skimmer coming today a Nyos 120 so when realistically should I start using it as it's a new toy I would like to use as soon as possible lol, only about 3% algea left, would breaking the skimmer in take out less meds because it's new.

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also couldn't find anything specific to seahorses. But the bryopsis was getting out of control in my tank, so I treated at 200mg/10g as suggested. My seahorses weren't in perfect health to begin with (obviously phosphates were increased since the bryopsis was thriving!) but all were eating well and swimming around as usual.

I can't say it was the fluconazole specifically that caused problems, but I lost all 4 of my seahorses within the first week of treatment.

I had no other losses for fish, inverts, corals, etc - and I treated 3 tanks.

Thank you for your feedback . I'm sorry you lost your horses! So sad. I ended up treating my tank to see if it would rid my GHA. Same dose as you. Bonnie and Clyde did well. I did lose 3 peppermint shrimp. 1 committed suicide (he jumped) and the other two died in the tank. Coral did fine and my pair of ocellaris.
Results were fair but its back. I'm going to try again. 2 h20 changes biweekly before dosing again.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering this treatment for GHA. I have a question for those of you who have successfully completed this treatment. After treatment do your corals look worse, same or better than before treatment? Is there a noticeable different reaction between SPS and LPS if any? I tried reading through the entire thread to see if this was asked. I apologize if this is a repeat question.

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to look but I am at about day 45 with 2 doses. Waiting for the last little spots of gha to disappear before I declare it all gone. Have not been skimming or anything else except flow with the exception of a water change and 1 day of skimming and carbon before 2nd dose. Gha dies a stubborn death.
Ugh.....I feel your pain. I'm about to dose for the second time to rid GHA!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering this treatment for GHA. I have a question for those of you who have successfully completed this treatment. After treatment do your corals look worse, same or better than before treatment? Is there a noticeable different reaction between SPS and LPS if any? I tried reading through the entire thread to see if this was asked. I apologize if this is a repeat question.
All my softies and lps were fluffier and nearly all sps had better color and PE.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 15 and I haven't skimmed at all. If anything all my coral look happier since my nutrients have risen to detectable before treatment. Other than more colorful coral I've seen no ill effects.

grayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the skimmer is not collecting then it's not going to remove anything, I started skimming on day 4, the algae continued to die
I do believe you must have low nitrates and phosphate before you treat, and keep them low so no grow back, otherwise I think it's only a bandaid, and will grow back because of higher levels no3/phos
I would keep carbon dosing on during treatment, only lower skimmer for first few days

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - not sure if I did not treat long enough or what my deal is but it came back and came back strong! I also had some GHA appear in the DT which I NEVER have had before. So last night I commensed round #2 I dosed 30 capsuls in about 260-270 total water volume tank. Skimmer empties back into the sump - I am keeping it on for the O2 exchange and UV is off. I am going to go to 4/1 before a water change.

10 days in on dose #2. looks like most Bryopsis is gone. still have some GHA im gonna try 14 more days before wc

AccordSiRH22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone used the tablets vs the capsules? i ended up getting a solid tablet from the vet, and want to see if anyone has used it before i grind it up and drop it in. its listed as 100% fluconazole on the label

Junwei38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the tablets. Its the same. Just as effective. Just make sure u grind it up very finely or else it wont dissolve properly and underdose. I slightly overdosed as i had a hunch the tablets will be harder to dissolve than the powder, even after grinding it up. If it helps.

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have we worked out a new effective minimum dose?
or is it still 20mg/gal.?
only reason i ask is because it didnt completely rid my 40g of the bryopsis, and some nems started looking sad after 14 days. like pretty bad.
i want to do another round but dont want to put them through that again.

Junwei38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of people have grossly overdosed this medication to no ill effects. I would say 20mg/gallon is considered conservative.

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am needing to do a second dose. Do I need to do anything special (water change, run carbon etc ect) or just dose again? Do I dose the same amount or less since there is some in there?
Thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back