Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

dave9905

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely took care of my bryopsis and gha in less than three weeks, but immediately got a dino outbreak now

bklynreef123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the flucozanole disrupts the bacterial balance... I'm planning on going back to a prodibio regiment after I am done treating the tank. I got bad Dinos when using vibrant, but I was dosing more than the recommended dose. What are you doing to battle Dinos? Peroxide?

crankbait09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, looks like I am one of the few. I treated my tank and the bryopsis went away. 2 months later it came back. But this time around, it came back and grew very fast. When i had it before, it was in a small spot and grew very slow. This time, it came back in the same spot, but is 2-3x bigger than it ever was.

The only thing I have changed since the initial dosing, was dosing my tank to raise the alkalinity. im pushing high 8's, to low 9's at the moment. other than that, nothing has changed.

not sure why it came back again, let alone it growing fast

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Bryopsis is going a taking along time to eradicate. I can 100% positively say that Fluconazole stopped my Bryopsis growth and is slowly melting it away. My guess is two-three months for full effect. I'm on my second treatment.

dave9905

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the flucozanole disrupts the bacterial balance... I'm planning on going back to a prodibio regiment after I am done treating the tank. I got bad Dinos when using vibrant, but I was dosing more than the recommended dose. What are you doing to battle Dinos? Peroxide?
No peroxide yet. It's a very mild outbreak right now so I am siphoning it out into a filter sock returning water to try to avoid water change. Just added pods and chaeto to see if it will out compete dinos for any nutrients left over from all of the dead bryopsis even though I was manually removing a lot of it during treatment

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my 200 mixed Reef DT has never looked so beautiful. I have Zero GHA, bryopsis or Cayno. I finished my first dose about 6 weeks ago and all my corals and 2 large clams look beautiful. So my next move is to prevent this from ever coming back. I will be buying another order of Fluco to have on hand just in case. Now 3 weeks ago I purchased 15 new frags of several types of Zoas and mushrooms and most had some signs of GHA and Bryopsis. Couple plugs had the base covered with it. I set up a 40 gallon frag tank and added 2 capsules and by day 8 they are all clean and looking great. I will be leaving my frag tank up and running and will QT ALL new frags and put them thru a treatment of Fluco. I am taking them off the plugs they came with but to see all white plugs I'm beyond sold that this just became a MuST for all future purchases to avoid introducing Bryopsis in my tank.

Dendros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm new to the forum.
Trying to get some fluconazole in europe with no luck so far.
Does anybody have an idea where to get it?

tonymacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to report back, its been, what 2months? Bryopsis is re-emerging again.

I'm going to be doing another full dose now.
Here too, w/c today and a fresh batch of flucon going in tomorrow. I've noticed a few bits sprouting today and on closer inspection a couple of frag plugs have it and a few stems on the back of my hammer.

Up till now I would have said 100% success, but obviously not.

bklynreef123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my initial dose in for a day now. I'm noticing my skimmer is foaming like crazy and the foam is adhering to the skimmer body. I don't see a difference in the algae yet, I'm wondering if I should remove the foam or push it back into the water in the sump. Not sure if the foam has the flucozanole in it...
d7c78afa11bfa0258b15f8cdfd6544f1.jpg

Maplehillreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 6 days and about 75% of it is gone! I added the recommended dose. After running my skimmer for three days I have turned it off and decide I will leave it off till I see it all melt away or after 21 days or so. It such a great thing to see. So happy I saw this thread and read all 173 pages... good job with the thread and page thumbs up I will post pics soon

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy to be done with 14 day treatment, tank looked abused, did a 25% WC and fired up skimmer. Thru in a carbon sock hope tank comes back.

Sharkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my initial dose in for a day now. I'm noticing my skimmer is foaming like crazy and the foam is adhering to the skimmer body. I don't see a difference in the algae yet, I'm wondering if I should remove the foam or push it back into the water in the sump. Not sure if the foam has the flucozanole in it...
d7c78afa11bfa0258b15f8cdfd6544f1.jpg

I turned my skimmer completely off for 5 days when I dosed. I believe others have left theirs off even longer.

Gal_Hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm new to the forum.
Trying to get some fluconazole in europe with no luck so far.
Does anybody have an idea where to get it?

Order it off eBay. I'm in the UK and ordered mine from there which came from russia. There aren't any listings yet but keep checking everyday as new ones eventually get put up

tonymacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting my 2nd course this evening, odd that I didn't actually have a massive outbreak of Bryopsis like some I've seen on here and that I need a 2nd dose of Flucon. And I left the 1st dose in for 3 weeks.

jgonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to share my experience:

I dossed 5 mg per lt , 2000 mg for my 420 lts, at the beginining i was afraid and skeptical but i dossed anyway and here are the results after 10 days.

Parameters where 15 ppm no3 salifert (i added kno3 trying to balance my nutrients.....)
0 ppm PO4 with hanna checker

Turned off GAC reactor and take out the skimmer cup for the first 3 days, after that i put in place again for the rest of the treatment,

Day 1:
455759-37517c62e7db96fbad51297781590c9e.jpg
455757-91d41538a12a56f8e7cd30e97d65dd00.jpg

Day 5:

455760-7e8974997a92fe2ab91bac1f6b7916a9.jpg
455761-b42aa950aff29974a965ace81d6eef23.jpg

Day 10:

455762-badb568ebe8e732d6d6f4fa89376ab58.jpg
455763-6f92998b2b5b4bb6da3ddf5d1569d572.jpg

The bryopsys were killed in just 10 days, now at day 14 there is not a single outbreak..... and even som GHA its starting to die....

Today i will perfom a 20% water change and put online a fresh GAC load.

I never were able to kill bryopsis even with perfect parameters i mean 0 ppm po4 and 0 no3.

Sorry for the crapy pictures but I was disapointed of how the tank looked with the bryopsis , that I didn't want to clean the glass.

455794-8a9bd82d1aaf0ed49294d1f71b161831.jpg

Thks for the post... my tank started to look like before the bryopsis outbreak.

inicio2.jpg

inicio.jpg

media.jpg

media2.jpg

final.jpg

final2.jpg

fts.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back