Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sharkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing it varies. I am about to start my 3 rd treatment and I only waited 12 days. No water change. The GHA is really hanging on. :mad:

mjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing it varies. I am about to start my 3 rd treatment and I only waited 12 days. No water change. The GHA is really hanging on. :mad:
What are your lighting conditions? As other posters mentioned, i noticed the only areas that gha did melt away were shaded from direct light.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the treatment and it's been about 6 weeks. I see the bryopsis reduced by 1/2, but still have. Have you had to run a second treatment

I ran a second treatment to get rid of some remaining GHA but my bryopsis was all gone from the first treatment in two weeks.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, looks like I am one of the few. I treated my tank and the bryopsis went away. 2 months later it came back. But this time around, it came back and grew very fast. When i had it before, it was in a small spot and grew very slow. This time, it came back in the same spot, but is 2-3x bigger than it ever was.

The only thing I have changed since the initial dosing, was dosing my tank to raise the alkalinity. im pushing high 8's, to low 9's at the moment. other than that, nothing has changed.

not sure why it came back again, let alone it growing fast
What are your no3 and po4 parameters? I myself have roots that were left behind. All in the low/no light areas. If po4 and/or no3 is high it'll come back. This is happening in my case. I did a 15% (26.5g) wc yesterday and doing 33% (53g) today and 33% tonight/tomorrow (when it's ready). I also turned the freshly vinegar soaked skimmer and 4x gfo and gac reactors back on last night. I found residue from the meds in the skimmer also on a side note. Before wc yesterday no3 had climbed to about 40ppm and I am barely feeding 2x per week. My plan is to reduce no3 drastically in 2-3 days and begin h202. If no change in a week then I will stop, let the tank rest and allow the root to grow fronds/hair and target them with fluconazole. I will also remove all my sump cfl lights (I have 4) and shine them at the shadowed/low light areas for up to a week.

Everywhere there were no roots it has not returned, where roots were left it has. ALL of it is in low light locations. I will say that all of the instability in my system however has taken a toll on many of my corals at this point. Not the fluconazole. So I am concentrating on getting my system stable again before treating for a third time as described above. My second treatment did not put a dent in it because I feel that no.3, low light and having no fronds on the root played a big factor in it not working.

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large tank about 1000 gallons of water volume, just ordered 100 of the 200mg capsules and im not sure if this question was asked here yet ( too many pages to go through )
Do you shut your Ozone reactor and when can you turn the UV back on?

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also just making sure if i have 1,000 gallons and at 20mg per gallondosage, i would dose how many of these 200mg capsules? according to my figures it would 100 capsules.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large tank about 1000 gallons of water volume, just ordered 100 of the 200mg capsules and im not sure if this question was asked here yet ( too many pages to go through )
Do you shut your Ozone reactor and when can you turn the UV back on?
That's correct 1 200mg capsule per 10g. Uv-It shouldn't matter as this is not bacteria based. I also don't think it'll hurt to run your ozone. Skimmer, carbon and purigen should not be run. Gfo is ok

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its 200 mg pill per 100 gallons ( if the calculation is 20mg per gal.)
so 1000 gallons would 50 200mg pills.
my first calculation was wrong, it should not be 100 pills. that would calculate to 2000 gallons.
its the end of the day just want to make sure this is correct.

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure others have posted, but where can I buy this without having to have a prescription for a certain pet?

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned my skimmer back on, but turned it down so that nothing collects in the cup. I also starting dosing NoPox so I need my skimmer. My GHA is slowly going away (28 days second round ). I need to lower my nitrates.

Winschuc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow is day 23 and will conclude my fluconazole treatment (went to 23 as Saturday's are my normal water change schedule). Every scrap of green algae is gone from my tank, which is awesome as my overflow was starting to compete with joe dirt's haircut. The only negative's I've seen through the entire process were a little cyano and I lost one tenius. I have a fox flame that is starting STN, but hopefully I can get it to reverse a bit with some steady water changes.

Thanks to the folks who figured this out and shared. Definitely a life saver in the bryopsis battle.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished treatment either dome gha left or it starting to come back, how do people handle excess nutrients from die off?. I did a 25% WC can continue that but sometimes it foes not help the export

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back