Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not at the moment. I suffer from crappy camera syndrome, so frankly it would mostly be a blurry green splotch. But I have two typical bryopsis types (Yep, two visually different strains)

B. Pennata -- The fern-like bryopsis
bryop_pen.jpg

And what looks like B. Rhizophora
GBHKcXyHaq3N.jpg

Oh, and also -- It looks like my dinos are coming back once I took my fuge light down.
I had both of these myself. You found some great reference pictures! [emoji12]

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad that this thread was started and will hopefully it will continue to help others that are able to fight their tanks with bryopsis. It's worked well in most cases.
However, I've been keeping myself, for the most part, from things that distract from the purpose of this thread and the ongoing experiment.
China....
It's been pointed out that this specific variety of fluconazole is not from China.
The red letters on the packaging are those of the manufacturer, TO (T.O. Group Pharmaceutical) who does have certification from the National Food and Drug Organization. They are also a major drug manufacturer throughout Asia. They are headquartered in Thailand and have been around since 1979.
http://www.togroupthailand.com/index.php/en/
Also as NCReef mentioned, payless petmeds are bases in California. Payless Pet Meds have been a registered business on Amazon since 2008.
https://www.marketplacepulse.com/amazon/usa/payless-pet-products
I know there are some who don't do any research whatsoever about what they are using for their tanks and only care about rather or not something works but I've done an extensive amount even before beginning this treatment.
At this point I think it's careless to continue to group symbols and products made in Asia as being made in China for cheap or illegally. I would assume that if there was an uncertainty about Payless-pet-products, Amazon would not allow them to continue doing business with them.
I'm hoping that this thread will continue to move forward the way it started. This is still an experiment that we are all learning from that still needs research.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had both of these myself. You found some great reference pictures! [emoji12]

Sucks huh?! I've never really had any crazy algae issues -- I once had Bryopsis in my old tank for like a month, killed it off, and it never came back. This new tank was going perfectly then suddenly BOOM. Bryopsis, Dino's, Bryopsis 2 -- Killed off Dino's/plucked bryopsis and it didn't grow back, then BOOM, round 2 -_-

I can deal, but getting hit with 3 invasive algae at once, and when it's all said and done getting a second round... I can see why people tear down, or even walk away for awhile..

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad that this thread was started and will hopefully it will continue to help others that are able to fight their tanks with bryopsis. It's worked well in most cases.
However, I've been keeping myself, for the most part, from things that distract from the purpose of this thread and the ongoing experiment.
China....
It's been pointed out that this specific variety of fluconazole is not from China.
The red letters on the packaging are those of the manufacturer, TO (T.O. Group Pharmaceutical) who does have certification from the National Food and Drug Organization. They are also a major drug manufacturer throughout Asia. They are headquartered in Thailand and have been around since 1979.
http://www.togroupthailand.com/index.php/en/
Also as NCReef mentioned, payless petmeds are bases in California. Payless Pet Meds have been a registered business on Amazon since 2008.
https://www.marketplacepulse.com/amazon/usa/payless-pet-products
I know there are some who don't do any research whatsoever about what they are using for their tanks and only care about rather or not something works but I've done an extensive amount even before beginning this treatment.
At this point I think it's careless to continue to group symbols and products made in Asia as being made in China for cheap or illegally. I would assume that if there was an uncertainty about Payless-pet-products, Amazon would not allow them to continue doing business with them.
I'm hoping that this thread will continue to move forward the way it started. This is still an experiment that we are all learning from that still needs research.

I agree....This is still in the experimental stages and people like Twillard are still working on it and running tests. There may be some better ways to utilize these azole meds and It may even end up being that we change from Fluconazole to one of the other azole meds when their results and findings come out. We don't really know if Flucon works better than the other azole meds on bryopsis or even gha but this was a starting point for having something that actually works(for most) in a reef tank and not having to break everything down.

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologise in advance as I am sure I have read it way back when in this thread but can't remember the answer...anyone using Vibrant at the same time as the Flucon?

Just as a side note, I have never used Vibrant as it is not freely available down under. However decided to buy a bottle from the US at about the same time a shop had the same idea and we can get it here now albeit at a little inflated price...long and short I have a bottle on the way. I also managed to obtain the right amount of Fluconazole for my tank, another effort as it is only available on prescription or one at a time over the counter! This was added to the tank yesterday and I will track progress over the next couple of weeks. So the real question, once I receive the Vibrant should I wait till I do a water change down the track or can I start dosing it now?

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologise in advance as I am sure I have read it way back when in this thread but can't remember the answer...anyone using Vibrant at the same time as the Flucon?

Just as a side note, I have never used Vibrant as it is not freely available down under. However decided to buy a bottle from the US at about the same time a shop had the same idea and we can get it here now albeit at a little inflated price...long and short I have a bottle on the way. I also managed to obtain the right amount of Fluconazole for my tank, another effort as it is only available on prescription or one at a time over the counter! This was added to the tank yesterday and I will track progress over the next couple of weeks. So the real question, once I receive the Vibrant should I wait till I do a water change down the track or can I start dosing it now?

There are people using Vibrant at the same time. Vibrant didn't agree with my system for some reason but there are plenty of people who use and like it. Be careful not to drop your nitrates too low while running this treatment(using Vibrant) though as you may have raised po4 levels and you don't want to bottom out your no3.

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people using Vibrant at the same time. Vibrant didn't agree with my system for some reason but there are plenty of people who use and like it. Be careful not to drop your nitrates too low while running this treatment(using Vibrant) though as you may have raised po4 levels and you don't want to bottom out your no3.

Appreciate the reply NCR, I will keep an eye on it. Probably a week before I will get the Vibrant so may just see how the tank is going at that point in time. I mean reality is that I have been struggling with a virtual encyclopedia of algae for many months now so no need to rush and try and get it clean in double quick time!

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the reply NCR, I will keep an eye on it. Probably a week before I will get the Vibrant so may just see how the tank is going at that point in time. I mean reality is that I have been struggling with a virtual encyclopedia of algae for many months now so no need to rush and try and get it clean in double quick time!

That sounds good. Go slow. Keep us updated on how the treatment goes.

Last edited:

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds good. Go slow. Keep us updated on how the treatment goes.

Will do, I also have some poor photos of the pre-treatment which I will upload at some point in time. Would not mind help with identification of some of the growth as I am not overly convinced it is Bryopsis. Oh and just got an email that the Vibrant is on its way so I may get it much quicker than expected i.e. tomorrow or Wednesday!

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, I also have some poor photos of the pre-treatment which I will upload at some point in time. Would not mind help with identification of some of the growth as I am not overly convinced it is Bryopsis. Oh and just got an email that the Vibrant is on its way so I may get it much quicker than expected i.e. tomorrow or Wednesday!

Yeah post the pics when you get a chance and we'll see if we can tell what kind of algae you have. Sometimes it's hard to tell but we'll give it a shot.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, never posted a comment with the photos but that is some of the ugliness currently growing in my tank. One day in and no obvious changes to anything yet. Yes I know, patience is a virtue....

I don't really see any bryopsis in your mixture of algae but the treatment may still work for you. Keep us updated.

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really see any bryopsis in your mixture of algae but the treatment may still work for you. Keep us updated.

Thanks NCR, I thought that much as I looked hard for fern like leaves but can't really see any. I was just not sure how small these leaves may be and how hard it is to identify it. As the Flucon is in now I thought I will go a good 21 days and see what happens, after that will revert to Vibrant and see how that goes.

As a matter of interest, any idea what the tree like structure is in the last photo? I had it on a rock before where it was very fast growing . That rock is now clean but this sprung up and has not grown as fast but appears to be the same. It is very hard/tough and not easily pulled out. It generally just breaks off when I pull on it.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks NCR, I thought that much as I looked hard for fern like leaves but can't really see any. I was just not sure how small these leaves may be and how hard it is to identify it. As the Flucon is in now I thought I will go a good 21 days and see what happens, after that will revert to Vibrant and see how that goes.

As a matter of interest, any idea what the tree like structure is in the last photo? I had it on a rock before where it was very fast growing . That rock is now clean but this sprung up and has not grown as fast but appears to be the same. It is very hard/tough and not easily pulled out. It generally just breaks off when I pull on it.
It looks like a gorgonian of sorts or maybe a type of sea fan or macro. Is it a red/maroon in color? Hard to tell under blue. It looks very similar to a macro that I just lost due to hungry Mexican turbos.
5b4a583d4a86dbd77c92d0be03765d67.jpg

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It almost looks like some sort of Caulepra like the stalks on grape caulerpa. I'll do some digging and see if I can find anything.

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a gorgonian of sorts or maybe a type of sea fan or macro. Is it a red/maroon in color? Hard to tell under blue. It looks very similar to a macro that I just lost due to hungry Mexican turbos.
5b4a583d4a86dbd77c92d0be03765d67.jpg
I belong to the colour blind society so will have to confirm the colour with my wife first ;-) However your picture looks a lot more dense than mine but that may just be because I keep on pulling at it every clean. It came with a piece of rock with the initial set-up and was growing wild after the cycle process. this one seems to grow much slower.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I belong to the colour blind society so will have to confirm the colour with my wife first ;-) However your picture looks a lot more dense than mine but that may just be because I keep on pulling at it every clean. It came with a piece of rock with the initial set-up and was growing wild after the cycle process. this one seems to grow much slower.
This was slow to grow also. Could be less dense than mine due to the algae in it also. Unless all the fluffy stuff is part of it?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back