Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks, Its been a while but I figured I would check back in and give you all a update. It has been a hair over two months since I completed treatment. I am pleased to say there is not a hint of anything algae related in my tank, except coralline. It is growing on everything. I had a bout of dino's after the bryopsis was all dead and the dinos took over as my new plague. 3 days of darkness, I stopped all vodka dosing, no water changes, and I dosed H2O2 (i do not remember the dose but I think it was the recommended amount from one of Randy's threads) I need to be really clear here, THE FLUCONAZOL DID NOT CREATE MY DINOFLAGELLATE ISSUE. The dinos were already there and the lack of bryopsis allowed them to flourish. anyway, I have a happy tank except for this danged golden head goby who is intent on making a daily sand storm in my display. (if any of you are in Jacksonville FL and have the appropriate substrate and would enjoy a healthy active golden head goby, I encourage you to pm me. I will try and catch him so that you may have a free golden head goby)
After I killed off the mild algae problem I had with flucanozole, and I restarted a good water change regimen. About 2 months of good aquarium care and Neomeris bloomed again! Now I believe my tank had a dino outbreak in the last two weeks. I removed all the fish and dosed HP. The soft corals and BTA look much better now. I just thought I would share. A well balanced ecosystem is challenging to achieve.
I am still thinking about bleaching my aquarium to get rid of the neo...

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! I'm glad the treatment worked for you. It's nice to be able to enjoy our tanks and not worry about bryopsis anymore. :)
can you find a cure for neomeris please? :) or...hey, could you all please visit my thread to help me as I debate how to move forward next week with a possible restart on a 11 year old softy tank?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you find a cure for neomeris please? :) or...hey, could you all please visit my thread to help me as I debate how to move forward next week with a possible restart on a 11 year old softy tank?
Post the link to your thread [emoji6]

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a few pieces of it years ago but it didn't really stick around in my tank that long. I don't remember anything specific that I did to kill it. I'll check out your thread.

Woolleson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be one for vibrant to tackle?

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm battling this PITA Bryopsis for last 2 to 3 months. I was about to take out all the rocks and bleach them. Thanks to @prsnlty and few others, I've added Fluconazole 4 days ago. Nothing has changed so far. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping it'll cure eventually.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm battling this PITA Bryopsis for last 2 to 3 months. I was about to take out all the rocks and bleach them. Thanks to @prsnlty and few others, I've added Fluconazole 4 days ago. Nothing has changed so far. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping it'll cure eventually.
Crossing my fingers right along with you! I know what you're going through

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I will give a quick update as well, as established before I have little if any bryopsis but plenty of other nasties (algae wise) in the tank. As the Flucon was in I decided to let it run its course. Now 10 days in and no miracle disappearance of all algae and sparkling clean rocks but if anything the growth certainly looks stunted. Hard to judge but it does look ever so slightly thinner in places and a lot more 'loose' on the rocks. I have left it alone but my water also appears to have more than normal 'floating stuff' in it. Definite colour change in some as well. Of course this is all highly technical terms and scientific analysis being more loose, floating stuff and different colours!!! What is sure is that one of my rocks which was in a shady spot and moved up into the bright light has not shown any new growth which in itself is a positive. Sunday will be 14 days and I will test to see then if it really is more loose or just wishful thinking. If it is I will leave it in another week or else do a water change and take it from there. No new photos but may take a few snaps on the weekend and post here if major changes noted...

tonymacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to report that after 2 treatments i have some bryopsis growing from one of my frags, nothing new has entered my tank for months.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to report that after 2 treatments i have some bryopsis growing from one of my frags, nothing new has entered my tank for months.

Sorry to hear that Tony,how long did you run the treatments? I looked back at your pics and was wondering if it came back on the bottom side of those plugs that are shaded? Refresh my memory, how much did you dose and what is your total water volume?

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my first dose of the Fluconazole 200mg. Lets keep fingers crossed and see if it works for my system.

Ok, i have bryo in my dt and I just dose 30 pills, for my 300g tank. Day 1 (200mg)
Thanks for sharing

Keep us updated on how things go with your treatments. Good luck and I hope it wipes out your algae!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2: Woke up to see many pieces of bryopsis missing. It seems to have detached from it's anchors in some area. The strongholds are still there and kicking, but the little sprouts that kicked up here and there have disappeared.

The larger area's of bryopsis seem just a teeny bit withered. I may just be looking too hard, we shall see. But so far, it looks like a step in the right direction.

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1 all good in the morning (12 hours lataer), the tank looks the same, no corals, specially Euphillia garden, have any contraction. So far so good...
I remove de GAC reactor, and add that reactor with GFO (now I have 2 gfo reactors), I Remove the Skimmer head, I did low the vinegar dosing (90% less, no skimmer, no point to dose vinegar), biopellets working as usual. I did make my nitrates goes down from 15 to 1 in 1 month (prior treatment) so they will go back to normal probably whitout skimmer. I will cut the manual feeding (treats) and left only the auto feeding for fishes, the auto feeding for corals (ReefFrenzy, etc) is also out for the moment.

DIE BRYO DIE!!!

Now sit and wait

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the same issues. Looking online I see the price for the Fluco varies wildly. There is fish fluke and then theres the vet variety. Not sure if its been answered in the 196 pages on this but, where can I get Fluco?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back