Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the same issues. Looking online I see the price for the Fluco varies wildly. There is fish fluke and then theres the vet variety. Not sure if its been answered in the 196 pages on this but, where can I get Fluco?
I ordered mine from the below link. I know lots of other people did as well. This link is also somewhere on this forum. [emoji3]

http://payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day two: water have more debris due skimmer not working. Looking some colour change on bryo (bleaching). Nitrates on 5, tomorrow i will add the skimmer cup again.

tonymacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that Tony,how long did you run the treatments? I looked back at your pics and was wondering if it came back on the bottom side of those plugs that are shaded? Refresh my memory, how much did you dose and what is your total water volume?
1400mg into 220 litres for 2 weeks, first treatment was 1200mg. One thing to note though is the bryopsis is growing from tbe top of the plug and was sat higher than most.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1400mg into 220 litres for 2 weeks, first treatment was 1200mg. One thing to note though is the bryopsis is growing from tbe top of the plug and was sat higher than most.

It's possible that you may have to run another treatment and let it go longer. Some people have waited three weeks or even a month before their water changes just to make sure that all of the roots were dead. If it's only on one plug though, I would take that plug out and frag whatever coral is on it and throw that plug away. Then watch for any other signs of bryopsis anywhere else in the tank before running another treatment. You may get away with just taking that one out if it hasn't spread already.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5: Things still improving. It seems to be following the timeline on page one @NCreefguy so that's nice news. It may be a hair behind..

Skimmer still off, Carbon offline too. I'll sterilize the carbon reactor before putting it back on.

I have some Siporax keeping things in check, so I can be without skimmer for the full 21 days -- which I plan to do. I'd like to make sure dose 1 = cure.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first treatment didn't seem to be working. Bryopsis turned little white but that's about it. After 8 days of waiting, added a 2nd dose. Let's see if this yields any good result.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought u did not have to stop skimmer?

You don't have to stop your skimmer but some people have skimmed out too much of the meds before it had a chance to work on the algae. The treatment still worked for some who skimmed the entire time so everyone's tank is different. We generally just say to not run your skimmer or at least remove the skimmer cup for the first few days just in case.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to stop your skimmer but some people have skimmed out too much of the meds before it had a chance to work on the algae. The treatment still worked for some who skimmed the entire time so everyone's tank is different. We generally just say to not run your skimmer or at least remove the skimmer cup for the first few days just in case.

I've left mine off for about 5 days now. I'm thinking of turning it on and turning the pump to 1/10 (DC skimmers are sweet).

If I do not see any results after another day or two, I will consider adding one additional 200mg dose. DO you have any thoughts on this @NCreefguy ?

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5: Things still improving. It seems to be following the timeline on page one @NCreefguy so that's nice news. It may be a hair behind..

Skimmer still off, Carbon offline too. I'll sterilize the carbon reactor before putting it back on.

I have some Siporax keeping things in check, so I can be without skimmer for the full 21 days -- which I plan to do. I'd like to make sure dose 1 = cure.

I've left mine off for about 5 days now. I'm thinking of turning it on and turning the pump to 1/10 (DC skimmers are sweet).

If I do not see any results after another day or two, I will consider adding one additional 200mg dose. DO you have any thoughts on this @NCreefguy ?

I would still wait it out since it's working and not add any more. As long as it's working,I wouldn't change anything except for maybe turning your skimmer back on to help remove some of the waste. Adding another capsule may not hurt anything but it might not be needed either.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still wait it out since it's working and not add any more. As long as it's working,I wouldn't change anything except for maybe turning your skimmer back on to help remove some of the waste. Adding another capsule may not hurt anything but it might not be needed either.

I am on day 4. I haven't I cried too much change as far as die off. It does look weaker then normal. My glass is starting to clear up also towards the botttom where it had recently started to cake and be harder to remove. I hope this is a sign. Is manual removal as it weakens its bond suggested?

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on day 4. I haven't I cried too much change as far as die off. It does look weaker then normal. My glass is starting to clear up also towards the bottom where it had recently started to cake and be harder to remove. I hope this is a sign. Is manual removal as it weakens its bond suggested?

Mixed reviews on manual removal during treatment. Most of the time if it's starting to weaken it will let go and break up and you'll see pieces of it floating around your tank. It's still fairly early in your treatment so I would see how things go over the next few days.

Last edited:

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to kill bryo with boiling water (in a large syringe), works great in small ptches! After cooking the bryo it takes 4 days to clear up. But it will regrowth.
So if after boil the bryo takes 3 to 4 days, I imagine that fluco will "boil" the bryo in 1 week and the other will clear up.
Also I have to mention, I started with problems when I remove some of my cleaning crew from the tank, so I will restock snails mainly.

Slevin007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the gurus. I'm in my second treatment (my fault, 1st worked amazingly well and then I added 20 frags and saw the small marking of bryopsis to late) I also have hundreds of colonial hydroids. Can I do flucanazol and fish Bendazole at the same time? @Twillard

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the gurus. I'm in my second treatment (my fault, 1st worked amazingly well and then I added 20 frags and saw the small marking of bryopsis to late) I also have hundreds of colonial hydroids. Can I do flucanazol and fish Bendazole at the same time? @Twillard

I believe most people are running the treatments separately to lessen the stress on the tank inhabitants.I've got a bunch of hydroids too but haven't ran a bendzole treatment yet because I've got 300+ snails that I don't want to kill.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back