Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not Dino's thank god it's just cyano from when I dropped half my afs into the tank a week before I started the flucon treatment
Good to hear! My Dino's are always threatening to come back -_- it's just a lonesome strand here and there or I'd be much more worried.

RobinsonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Tim.....I've battled bryopsis since last November. I gave up on my search for a cure right before Christmas and had literally tried everything I found on every forum about ways to kill it, peroxide dips, peroxide dosing, careful manual removal ( bad idea ), tech m. I stopped short of vibrant as I use nopox to help control nutrients effectively already and didn't want to change. Through getting rid of the rocks that were really bad and taking frags out and dipping them in coral rx and target blasting bryopisis with h202 I had gotten it at bay for a few months. 3-4 weeks ago it started popping its ugly head back up everywhere. So I was like here we go back to the drawing board I can't deal with this. Started searching again for bryopsis help and stumbled on this thread. Was instantly sucked in and read the entire thread in an hour or so. I ordered enough to dose my tank 3 times last night and can't wait to do my treatment and watch this crap DIE!! Thanks to all that have been documenting on this thread, and to all those that started this and helped with showing multiple results from this on lots of different tank setups. This is so huge to find out, finally....people will suffer no more to this devil weed.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RobinsonReef -- It's a good thing to pick up. Honestly, my Bryopsis is dying, my GHA is all but gone, and the algae death is inspiring my dinos slightly (they're still struggling. I'll take Bryopsis over Dinos every time).

So unless you have something like my dinos which are looking for a way to come back, you should have decent success.

I will say I think it takes much longer than people advise. The MO is keep everything off for 5 days, then turn skimmer back on. Other people have noted if they are heavily infested they benefitted from an increase. As for me, this time, I'm having success by leaving the skimmer OFF. Not for 5 days, just OFF. It's off for a month, and after 2 weeks I did a half dose, which started impacting what was still struggling to survive. And my bryo / GHA was very mild.

So keep with it, and use your intuition if things are adding up.

Aslam Abraham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guy's, firstly, thanks for informative thread. I have a few questions.
I am running zeovit, do I switch off my zeo reactor and stop dosing zeo products while treating with fluconazole?
Do I get the 200mg capsules.
Do I dose for 14 days.
Do I keep my lighting cycle as normal.
My net water volume is 250 litres, what is my daily dosage.
Sorry for all the questions, I will admit, just read the first and last page, want to get it right the first time.
Thanks in advance.

Aj.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My algae is about 90% gone it's day 14. I do have a breakout of cyano but none of my corals are affected by the treatment. I'm stuck deciding if I want to go another 7 days without a wc or just do the wc and treat again.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am getting ready to try this. I've been dosing Nopox, vibrant and bioptim and not much happens. Get a bit of die off, nitrates remain high and algae spreading like california wildfires. I think what I have is most bryopsis which might explain why nothing is working. My tank is going fallow due to marine velvet and ick for 76 days so I figure this is a good time to really try to get rid of the algae. It's in the DT and the display refugium. Here is a pic of the main tank and what I'm up against. Plan to keep up with the dosing as nitrates are always high. Still have to feed the sun coral colony and will be removing the scooter blenny to start the fallow period. Hope the stuff doesn't kill the copepods... I have some macro algae I put in for nutrient export. Will see how that does (razor, dragon breath, grac.)

Here are a few shots. I'll pick a couple to do for documenting my success! And yes, I pull, pull, and pull. Had to take rockwork down to catch fish to move to QT tank and got as much off each one as I could before putting back even. Tank is 7 months old
20170721_200124_resized.jpg

20170721_200137_resized.jpg
20170721_200143_resized.jpg
20170721_200157_resized.jpg
20170721_200228_resized.jpg

Aslam Abraham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guy's, firstly, thanks for informative thread. I have a few questions.
I am running zeovit, do I switch off my zeo reactor and stop dosing zeo products while treating with fluconazole?
Do I get the 200mg capsules.
Do I dose for 14 days.
Do I keep my lighting cycle as normal.
My net water volume is 250 litres, what is my daily dosage.
Sorry for all the questions, I will admit, just read the first and last page, want to get it right the first time.
Thanks in advance.

No worries, sorted.

RobinsonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RobinsonReef -- It's a good thing to pick up. Honestly, my Bryopsis is dying, my GHA is all but gone, and the algae death is inspiring my dinos slightly (they're still struggling. I'll take Bryopsis over Dinos every time).

So unless you have something like my dinos which are looking for a way to come back, you should have decent success.

I will say I think it takes much longer than people advise. The MO is keep everything off for 5 days, then turn skimmer back on. Other people have noted if they are heavily infested they benefitted from an increase. As for me, this time, I'm having success by leaving the skimmer OFF. Not for 5 days, just OFF. It's off for a month, and after 2 weeks I did a half dose, which started impacting what was still struggling to survive. And my bryo / GHA was very mild.

So keep with it, and use your intuition if things are adding up.
@Rakie that's good to know. Right now all I am battling is the bryopsis. I get some cyano from time to time but only in my low flow corners and it's easy to get rid of. Will start a thread documenting my treatment. Hopefully this won't cause Dino's or things I have not battled in this system before. I run pretty low nutrients successfully but have learned bryopsis doesn't care and will grow even in ULS.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULNS introduced my dinos, perosnally. Put in some bacteria that was a little stronger than I expected, and hit 0/0 no3 & po4. That's when dinos came in. Raising nutrients slowed my dinos but didn't kill them, like it has for others.

Anyways, that's too OT.

Follow the standard advice. If the standard advice does not solve your issue, think about altering your strategy. For me, it was skimmer off completely, and adding an additional 1/2 dose halfway through my nightmare.. Thankfully there's barely anything left at this point.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flucon has arrived! Water change and remove carbon and purigen happening tonight. Do I also have to remove my bags of phosphate beads?

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to update until I was 100% sure, but I am 3-months Bryopsis free in my tank. Can't believe this stuff was a miracle solution and it hasn't returned. I wanted to give it a number of months worth of water changes in case it went dormant and comes back as the ingredient is removed.

In short, my success was the correct dosage, and no other chemical filtration. Skimmer was left OFF for 2 weeks, then turned back on skimming only thickest skimmate.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine. I have approx 53 gals after rock and sand. I thought I read to dose 1000 mg, or 5 capsules. Directions say 1 cap per 2 gal. but that's way too much. It's 20 mg per gal? So 50 gal at 20 mg would be 1000 mg Not good at math....

Last edited:

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine. I have approx 53 gals after rock and sand. I thought I read to dose 1000 mg, or 5 capsules. Directions say 1 cap per 2 gal. but that's way too much. It's 20 mg per gal? So 50 gal at 20 mg would be 1000 mg Not good at math....

Any directions listed on the medication are for treating fungus on fish. the dosage we are using for nuisance algae is 1 200mg capsule per 10 gallons.

one dose one time - do not repeat doses unless algae is still hanging on after 2-3 weeks or bryopsis begins to regrow.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back