Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mengchhorn Chhun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok here the change after 5days of using ReefHD Algae Buster to kill Bryopsis

6D64340A-BE7F-4C26-BA1C-A756C5F84831.jpeg

315C06EB-4AF2-4C6F-9148-4D98CAA16E23.jpeg

That pict i took these morning while everything still asleep so Bryopsis almost gone for me now.

ReefHD

products that work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone said their capsules were 200mg caps so at that rate it would be half of the dosage that we've used. I'm not sure why they chose that dosage. I was under the impression that it was pure Fluconazole and nothing else added so again I question why they chose to go with half. Maybe @ReefHD can chime in and answer that one.

First we want to note that Algae Buster has been preemptively discontinued for the time being due to inadvertently likely falling into an EPA loophole, and has been relabeled as Reef Flux, a fluconazole treatment intended for use on fish with certain fungal infections.

In regards to dosage of Algae Buster, which has been discontinued so I am replying only for informational purposes just this once to answer lingering questions, we had such great results at 10mg per gallon that we stuck to that dosage. It consistently nuked everything, as you can see by @Mengchhorn Chhun's results after 5 days. This is the reason we feel it is a good idea to avoid imported capsules that can have fillers or be expired. There really is no telling how old they are or the percentage of fillers in them or what those fillers even are, and when we tried those at 10mg per gallon it did not have great results.

We did note some things very recently that led us to believe 20mg per gallon may be a better dosage to prevent possible re-growth of certain Caulerpa species after over 6 months of having disappeared. It may have come in on other rocks but was possibly re-growth, so we would have doubled the dosage of Algae Buster or added notes for specific Caulerpa species after these Caulerpa tests had it not been discontinued.

We will most likely be doubling the dosage on Reef Flux labels due to reasons completely unrelated to the above after more experiments that are also completely unrelated to the above. To avoid any misconceptions on the intended use of Reef Flux we will be steering clear of this thread, but are happy to answer non-algaecide questions in our sponsor forum here on R2R. We sincerely apologize for the oversight that led to a necessity to relabel.

Last edited:

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can you get fluconzole capsules without a prescription that don't cost an arm and a leg. I have seen some on line but seems most are tablet form. Can those just be pulverized? I am in NC and even what I am seeing online and in pet shops needs a prescription. Hopefully it doesn't go the way most things seem to go and get a drastic price increase because of its high demand.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the Reefhd for 14.99 really good price, but 9.99 shipping? I don't see their logic I that. You would think at that shipping price it would be next day delivery. Does each capsule weigh ten pounds? ....lol. While this price may not seem like anything to most people, I am on a very tight budget right now. I usually shop for best price and free shipping but it seems that only one company has this product available. If anyone knows of another source of fluconzole without a prescription please let me know. Really didn't want to chance ordering from overseas.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found it for 20 shipped. Not too bad anyway. Great deal if I get the results some others have with this product.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First we want to note that Algae Buster has been preemptively discontinued for the time being due to inadvertently likely falling into an EPA loophole, and has been relabeled as Reef Flux, a fluconazole treatment intended for use on fish with certain fungal infections.

In regards to dosage of Algae Buster, which has been discontinued so I am replying only for informational purposes just this once to answer lingering questions, we had such great results at 10mg per gallon that we stuck to that dosage. It consistently nuked everything, as you can see by @Mengchhorn Chhun's results after 5 days. This is the reason we feel it is a good idea to avoid imported capsules that can have fillers or be expired. There really is no telling how old they are or the percentage of fillers in them or what those fillers even are, and when we tried those at 10mg per gallon it did not have great results.

We did note some things very recently that led us to believe 20mg per gallon may be a better dosage to prevent possible re-growth of certain Caulerpa species after over 6 months of having disappeared. It may have come in on other rocks but was possibly re-growth, so we would have doubled the dosage of Algae Buster or added notes for specific Caulerpa species after these Caulerpa tests had it not been discontinued.

We will most likely be doubling the dosage on Reef Flux labels due to reasons completely unrelated to the above after more experiments that are also completely unrelated to the above. To avoid any misconceptions on the intended use of Reef Flux we will be steering clear of this thread, but are happy to answer non-algaecide questions in our sponsor forum here on R2R. We sincerely apologize for the oversight that led to a necessity to relabel.

Yeah the AG industry uses tons of fluconazole each year on crops but they use it as an antifungal not an algaecide so you may have problems labeling or selling it as anything other than an antifungal.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed my tank on October 25th for hair algae that I had no luck getting rid of. Once I turned off the blues in my tank and turned up the whites, I was stunned just how much of my rocks were covered. I can say without a doubt that this stuff works. I have been taking pictures every 3 days to document. Below is the pic of 1 area of rock from the day of dosing and the same area of rock today. I still have 5 more days of treatment to go. Depending on how it looks after the 14 days, I may let it go to 21 days. I haven't lost any livestock or corals. My corals actually seem to have grown a bit more than usual. It's nice to see how much coralline I really do have.
20171025_202837.jpg
20171103_164433.jpg

Thiper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my treatment at 31 October, so today is a day 4 and I know about the patience (chill) - just seeing no results make me thinking if having 500ml bag of Phosguard and adding SuperPSB (Super Red Photosynthetic Bacteria) - can delay or cancel the treatment process? The skimmer cup is off, the bubbles get back to the sump. Ain't got UV lights, ain't got carbon - just claer sump with those two.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my treatment at 31 October, so today is a day 4 and I know about the patience (chill) - just seeing no results make me thinking if having 500ml bag of Phosguard and adding SuperPSB (Super Red Photosynthetic Bacteria) - can delay or cancel the treatment process? The skimmer cup is off, the bubbles get back to the sump. Ain't got UV lights, ain't got carbon - just claer sump with those two.
I didn't really notice any difference until day 6. It has steadily been declining since then. Give it a couple more days to see if you notice anything. Taking pictures every few days helped me see that it was working.

Thiper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MamaLovesHerReefTank Thanks for a quick reply :) Today I found out that when I popped additional light (got 2 blue t5 54w and added 1 white 1 blue) - the diatoms got out and I think that bryopsis looked a bit... more healthier. Probbably need to get back to 2 blue's until the end of my treatment.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MamaLovesHerReefTank Thanks for a quick reply :) Today I found out that when I popped additional light (got 2 blue t5 54w and added 1 white 1 blue) - the diatoms got out and I think that bryopsis looked a bit... more healthier. Probbably need to get back to 2 blue's until the end of my treatment.

Post pics of your algae issue please.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are (dunno why images are not available there).

19.JPG

22.JPG

24.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG
Does it look like the bryopsis is lighter on the tips of it? My gha looked like it actually got fuller in the few days after dosing but it was lighter at the tips. It has been getting thinner by the day since then. How much did you dose your tank with?

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another success story for Flucanazole. I treated with Flucanazole to my tank for Bryopsis and it killed all of the Bryopsis with no apparent effect on my corals, fish or macro. My trumpet has actually grown/split during treatment. I left my skimmer and everything else running as usual, and haven't changed the water since [been a few weeks].

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back