Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone said their capsules were 200mg caps so at that rate it would be half of the dosage that we've used. I'm not sure why they chose that dosage. I was under the impression that it was pure Fluconazole and nothing else added so again I question why they chose to go with half. Maybe @ReefHD can chime in and answer that one.
I could use your advice on another dose.It is coming up on 2 weeks on Monday that i dosed Reef HD Algae buster using their dosage on the bottle of 1 capsule for every 20 gallons,which you thought was only a half dose.I still have some hair algae and bryopis left in the tank it is better the last couple of days i have been using a toothbrush on the rocks and letting the filter sock get the loose pieces floating around.My question to you is should i wait to dose again and also the dosage i would need for around 170 gallons.I think i would need 20 capsules from pay=less.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are (dunno why images are not available there).

19.JPG

22.JPG

24.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG
Bryopsis it'll die with proper fluconazole treatment. White tips then turning clear will mean its death.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another success story for Flucanazole. I treated with Flucanazole to my tank for Bryopsis and it killed all of the Bryopsis with no apparent effect on my corals, fish or macro. My trumpet has actually grown/split during treatment. I left my skimmer and everything else running as usual, and haven't changed the water since [been a few weeks].
Thats awesome!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my treatment at 31 October, so today is a day 4 and I know about the patience (chill) - just seeing no results make me thinking if having 500ml bag of Phosguard and adding SuperPSB (Super Red Photosynthetic Bacteria) - can delay or cancel the treatment process? The skimmer cup is off, the bubbles get back to the sump. Ain't got UV lights, ain't got carbon - just claer sump with those two.

At proper dosing it will work. Takes a week for signs.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use your advice on another dose.It is coming up on 2 weeks on Monday that i dosed Reef HD Algae buster using their dosage on the bottle of 1 capsule for every 20 gallons,which you thought was only a half dose.I still have some hair algae and bryopis left in the tank it is better the last couple of days i have been using a toothbrush on the rocks and letting the filter sock get the loose pieces floating around.My question to you is should i wait to dose again and also the dosage i would need for around 170 gallons.I think i would need 20 capsules from pay=less.

I would go ahead with the second treatment if your nutrient levels aren't too high. If they are then do a water change and then start the second treatment. 17 capsules for your treatment.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#mods (or whoever)

I'm not sure if it's possible, but can we get some poll options added for those folks who have required 2 doses, 3 doses, 4 doses, etc?

It seems like there's a large backlog of folks in the "still treating" section....and from the ~dozen of those folks I actually checked with nearly all could be multimple treatment tanks.

Since the FAQ indicates this should be a one-treatment solution (which is consistent with proper antibiotics usage) it seems like the folks using this thread could use a better poll.

"Yes it worked" "No it didn't" "Still treating" and "I like Bryopsis" doesn't seem to show the whole picture.

Something like this would be more useful:
  1. Yes it worked.
  2. On 2nd treatment.
  3. On 3rd treatment.
  4. On 4th treatment.
  5. No it didn't work.
  6. I like Bryopsis.

Last edited:

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#mods (or whoever)

I'm not sure if it's possible, but can we get some poll options added for those folks who have required 2 doses, 3 doses, 4 doses, etc?

It seems like there's a large backlog of folks in the "still treating" section....and from the ~dozen of those folks I actually checked with nearly all could be multimple treatment tanks.

Since the FAQ indicates this should be a one-treatment solution (which is consistent with proper antibiotics usage) it seems like the folks using this thread could use a better poll.

"Yes it worked" "No it didn't" "Still treating" and "I like Bryopsis" doesn't seem to show the whole picture.

Something like this would be more useful:
  1. Yes it worked.
  2. On 2nd treatment.
  3. On 3rd treatment.
  4. On 4th treatment.
  5. No it didn't work.
  6. I like Bryopsis.
That's a great idea. I'm about to be on my 3rd treatment. Roughly 3-4 months later, I started seeing it regrow again the other 2 times.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea. I'm about to be on my 3rd treatment. Roughly 3-4 months later, I started seeing it regrow again the other 2 times.

You are treating your tank for gha algae correct? GHA will/can come back except for when Fluconazole is used long term(more on that later). Bryopsis won't come back unless you didn't kill all of it the first go around or you reintroduce it into your system. I noticed you added a bunch of frags. Your tank looks great by the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to update the thread with recent pics in a day or so to show what the area looks like in my tank that had bryopsis back nine months ago.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are treating your tank for gha algae correct? GHA will come back except for when Fluconazole is used long term(more on that later). Bryopsis won't come back unless you didn't kill all of it the first go around or you reintroduce it into your system. I noticed you added a bunch of frags. Your tank looks great by the way.
Thank you! It was for bryopsis unfortunately. Its on its second comeback. I treated at the dosage recommended. I might follow up this next treatment with another a month afterwards. All visible evidence of bryopsis was gone but it still came back for me at least. I hope I'm a anomaly and that it doesn't come back for everyone else.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It was for bryopsis unfortunately. Its on its second comeback. I treated at the dosage recommended. I might follow up this next treatment with another a month afterwards. All visible evidence of bryopsis was gone but it still came back for me at least. I hope I'm a anomaly and that it doesn't come back for everyone else.

Yeah I hope it kills all of it for you this time.(of course you have to watch bringing in new frags) You may need to let the treatment go longer to make sure that it's all gone.(maybe 4-6 weeks instead of 3) I've got several different systems set up in our shop and I've got some experiments going with long term usage and I'm not seeing any negative results from letting the treatment go on for months. There are a few others trying this as well and seeing the same results. As with anything in our hobby though,not every tank is the same and I would keep an eye on everything and check your nutrient levels regularly if you don't already.

Last edited:

Jd250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reef 2 reef guys and girls first post on here ! After reading this thread a month ago I used the treatment and I had 100% success with no coral or fish loss .
My tank is 99% sps and I've never had it looking so good so many thanks for the help

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reef 2 reef guys and girls first post on here ! After reading this thread a month ago I used the treatment and I had 100% success with no coral or fish loss .
My tank is 99% sps and I've never had it looking so good so many thanks for the help

Hello and welcome to R2R! I'm glad the treatment worked for you. My main tank is mostly sps as well. Post some pics of your tank if you would like. Got any before and after pics?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hope it kills all of it for you this time.(of course you have to watch bringing in new frags) You may need to let the treatment go longer to make sure that it's all gone.(maybe 4-6 weeks instead of 3) I've got several different systems set up in our shop and I've got some experiments going with long term usage and I'm not seeing any negative results from letting the treatment go on for months. There are a few others trying this as well and seeing the same results. As with anything in our hobby though,not every tank is the same and I would keep an eye on everything and check your nutrient levels regularly if you don't already.
Thanks! I'll give it a run for a hair longer but I'm always afraid to depart from my set maintenance routine for too long. It sprouted in the same spots as where it died prior so I feel pretty confident it just grew back instead of being reintroduced through another source.

I'm curious about your results so I'll stay tuned for some updates.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll give it a run for a hair longer but I'm always afraid to depart from my set maintenance routine for too long. It sprouted in the same spots as where it died prior so I feel pretty confident it just grew back instead of being reintroduced through another source.

I'm curious about your results so I'll stay tuned for some updates.

Yeah stick to what you are comfortable with. Just wanted you to know that you can run it longer if you need to.

I posted an updated pic in the first post to show the same area now after 8 months. We are putting together some things about long term usage but we want to wait until it's been at least a year to make any real posts about it.

Last edited:

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah stick to what you are comfortable with. Just wanted you to know that you can run it longer if you need to.

I posted an updated pic in the first post to show the same area now after 8 months. We are putting together some things about long term usage but we want to wait until it's been at least a year to make any real posts about.
Pretty sound logic there for waiting for the 1-year report. I appreciate you letting me know that I can run it longer! I appreciate you sharing!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1D35FF5D-16CF-4CDB-A510-75FF80D92339.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back