Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Discussion in 'Algae (including nuisance algae and bacteria)' started by NCreefguy, Jan 19, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

45.9%
  2. No

6.0%
  3. I'm treating my tank with it now.

33.1%
  4. I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

15.0%
  1. NCreefguy

NCreefguy Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Yeah like stevo01 said leave them in. As the algae starts to die off it will help remove it. Although it will clog up your canister filter quicker so you'll be cleaning it more often until the treatment is over.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    stevo01 likes this.

2. gfox

gfox Well-Known Member

Just received Reef HD Algae Buster are the directions right on the back of the bottle?1 capsule for every 20 gallons?

3. NCreefguy

Someone said their capsules were 200mg caps so at that rate it would be half of the dosage that we've used. I'm not sure why they chose that dosage. I was under the impression that it was pure Fluconazole and nothing else added so again I question why they chose to go with half. Maybe @ReefHD can chime in and answer that one.

stevo01 likes this.
  4. gfox

gfox Well-Known Member

My system is around 180 gallons i used 10 capsules on Monday haven't seen much progress yet.

NCreefguy likes this.
  5. stevo01

stevo01 R33F!N @DD!CT R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

I also dont understand why reefhd went half dose, when we saw from the early trials that half dosing was unsuccessful. GHA is more stubborn so I can't see this being good.

NCreefguy likes this.
  6. stevo01

221 pages! Pretty awesome so many people have been helped in this subject.

7. stevo01

What ever happened to twillard?

NCreefguy likes this.
  8. gfox

gfox Well-Known Member

I hope they do chime in.If what i dosed is half.
    Then i won't see any results and have to redose.

NCreefguy likes this.
  9. NCreefguy

Yeah we'll see what they say. For the most part from what we've seen it's going to take more than that if its gha. On the other hand though I'm running several different experiments using lower levels of flucon and I've seen lower levels keep hair algae from growing even in higher nutrient systems but not actually killing the gha if its already established in the tank(of course this is a very low level though).It will most likely take more to knock it out.

Tons of people are finally enjoying their tanks without dealing with bryopsis. It's great! It's definitely a treatment that's here to stay. :)

Haven't heard anything out of him in months.

stevo01 likes this.
  10. NCreefguy

Yeah you may have to but I would wait to see if they have anything else added to their caps before adding more or redoing it just in case.

stevo01 likes this.
  11. gfox

gfox Well-Known Member

Will do.Don't see much action on their site.

NCreefguy likes this.
  12. MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank Well-Known Member

I used the capsules on my 125g and I used 12.5 capsules. I am starting to see my gha lose color and thin out a bit. It will be a week this coming Wednesday.

13. Mengchhorn Chhun

Mengchhorn Chhun Well-Known Member

i have use 1,5 capsule for my 30g tank, just after 3 day i already see lot of change now. will get picture tonight when i get home

14. Mengchhorn Chhun

Mengchhorn Chhun Well-Known Member

ok here the change after 5days of using ReefHD Algae Buster to kill Bryopsis

6D64340A-BE7F-4C26-BA1C-A756C5F84831.jpeg

315C06EB-4AF2-4C6F-9148-4D98CAA16E23.jpeg

That pict i took these morning while everything still asleep so Bryopsis almost gone for me now.

DeepBlueSomething likes this.
  15. ReefHD

ReefHD products that work R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

First we want to note that Algae Buster has been preemptively discontinued for the time being due to inadvertently likely falling into an EPA loophole, and has been relabeled as Reef Flux, a fluconazole treatment intended for use on fish with certain fungal infections.

In regards to dosage of Algae Buster, which has been discontinued so I am replying only for informational purposes just this once to answer lingering questions, we had such great results at 10mg per gallon that we stuck to that dosage. It consistently nuked everything, as you can see by @Mengchhorn Chhun's results after 5 days. This is the reason we feel it is a good idea to avoid imported capsules that can have fillers or be expired. There really is no telling how old they are or the percentage of fillers in them or what those fillers even are, and when we tried those at 10mg per gallon it did not have great results.

We did note some things very recently that led us to believe 20mg per gallon may be a better dosage to prevent possible re-growth of certain Caulerpa species after over 6 months of having disappeared. It may have come in on other rocks but was possibly re-growth, so we would have doubled the dosage of Algae Buster or added notes for specific Caulerpa species after these Caulerpa tests had it not been discontinued.

We will most likely be doubling the dosage on Reef Flux labels due to reasons completely unrelated to the above after more experiments that are also completely unrelated to the above. To avoid any misconceptions on the intended use of Reef Flux we will be steering clear of this thread, but are happy to answer non-algaecide questions in our sponsor forum here on R2R. We sincerely apologize for the oversight that led to a necessity to relabel.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Mengchhorn Chhun likes this.
  16. Legal Reefer

Legal Reefer Well-Known Member

Where can you get fluconzole capsules without a prescription that don't cost an arm and a leg. I have seen some on line but seems most are tablet form. Can those just be pulverized? I am in NC and even what I am seeing online and in pet shops needs a prescription. Hopefully it doesn't go the way most things seem to go and get a drastic price increase because of its high demand.

17. Legal Reefer

Found the Reefhd for 14.99 really good price, but 9.99 shipping? I don't see their logic I that. You would think at that shipping price it would be next day delivery. Does each capsule weigh ten pounds? ....lol. While this price may not seem like anything to most people, I am on a very tight budget right now. I usually shop for best price and free shipping but it seems that only one company has this product available. If anyone knows of another source of fluconzole without a prescription please let me know. Really didn't want to chance ordering from overseas.

18. Legal Reefer

Just found it for 20 shipped. Not too bad anyway. Great deal if I get the results some others have with this product.

19. NCreefguy

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  20. NCreefguy

Yeah the AG industry uses tons of fluconazole each year on crops but they use it as an antifungal not an algaecide so you may have problems labeling or selling it as anything other than an antifungal.

stevo01 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted