Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae (including bacteria)' started by NCreefguy, Jan 19, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

2. No

3. I'm treating my tank with it now.

4. I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

@mcarroll This is a great idea for a new thread. The intent of the OP for this thread (per my understanding) is that it is a place to help people with the process of treating their tanks with fluconazole. Any changes to the thread's poll in this thread would be something that the OP would need to request.

I can confirm that my tank only required 1 dose. I've been both GHA and bryopsis free now for a while thanks to fluconazole.

2. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

btw, I should also note that I am one who had originally voted in the poll as "still treating" bc I had just started treatment. I had success with the treatment, but then I forgot to come back and update my results to "Yes" (I just now made the update). My guess would be that a fair number of people who voted "still treating" are people who came to this thread for answers and voted back then. However, they got their answers and the treatment was successful, so they forgot (as many of us do) to come back and update their vote in the poll.

Not saying that's everyone's story, but I'd bet it's a fair percentage.

eatbreakfast, stevo01 and NCreefguy like this.
  3. NCreefguy

NCreefguy Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

This is the same thing that @stevo01 and myself have both said. We feel like a lot of people have just not come back and updated their results after treatment. There have been numerous people pming me saying they had success with the treatment but didn't vote on the poll. Voting isn't required,it was just something added to let others see that they were not alone in using the treatment. There is no question that the treatment works. It may not work on all species of gha but that wasn't the initial intent of the thread.Yes the thread has evolved into a thread of using Fluconazole for both Bryopsis and GHA because it was an added benefit that was observed during treatment.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    stevo01 likes this.
  4. NCreefguy

We will continue helping people with their treatments of Fluconazole in this thread. I've said it before but it doesn't seem to be sinking in so I'll say it again...If you don't agree with us using meds like fluconazole in our tanks you can start your own thread stating such.

We should all practice what we preach. If you are trying to save the world from using meds in our systems,you should take a look at what you use in your everyday life that impacts our earth in a negative manner. (gasoline,cars,tires,cleaning supplies etc) Don't bring selective ethics into this thread. Save the world from yourself first before worrying about everyone else.Start your own thread.

Also added to the first post of the thread...
    If someone from this forum sends you a PM and trys to persuade you to not use this med,you should PM a mod(or pm me and I'll forward it to a mod) and let them know that you are being harassed. Many of the biggest names in the saltwater industry are now using this treament or have used it and you don't deserve to be harassed just becaused someone doesn't agree with it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    eatbreakfast and stevo01 like this.
  5. NCreefguy

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

6. NCreefguy

Also I just want to add that over time after water changes removing the fluconazole from your your system,GHA will/can return. GHA will grow in your system without having something in there to kill/eat it. Some people are getting Bryopsis and GHA mixed up and thinking that the treatment doesn't work if the GHA comes back. GHA will more than likely return at some point when the conditions are right in your system for it's growth. This is NOT the case for Bryopsis. There is no such thing as spontaneous generation of bryopsis. Having high nutrients or not having a big enough clean up crew will not cause a return of Byopsis. Just wanted to clear that up so when someone gets GHA regrowing in their tanks after several weeks or months it's not because the fluconazole didn't kill their GHA,it's because they no longer have fluconazole in their system and the conditions were right for more GHA growth. You will have to reintroduce bryopsis into your tank or not having killed all of the bryopsis cells in the first place for it to return. As I've said in an early post,we have some experiments going on some lower level long term fluconazole usage for GHA that we'll talk about soon.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  7. stevo01

stevo01 R33F!N @DD!CT R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

I've been working with my LFS and some individuals on FB on the subject. I always reference this specific thread for anyone looking for answers. Its not only been a way to help people but I've been able to meet interesting people too. Most recently someone living in Trinidad.

NCreefguy likes this.
  8. swensos

swensos Active Member

I have some stubborn strain of bryopsis in my tank. It grows long, thick strands, up to at least six inches, and has the fern-like strands near the base.

I treated the normal dose for thirty days, thought it was gone, but it came back with a vengeance ten days after water changes. I'm treating again and will try 6 weeks. I will post a pic shortly.

NCreefguy likes this.
  9. swensos

swensos Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank Well-Known Member

I myself am still treating and that is how I voted. Once my treatment is done, I will change my vote accordingly which based on my results after 11 days in, will more than likely be yes.

mdbannister and NCreefguy like this.
  11. domgreenslade

domgreenslade Member

I’ve just signed up to say I put Fluconazole in my tank yesterday. Worked out at 450mg in my 110litre. Could only get 3 tablets in a short space of time.
    Will update along the way, but here are the before photos
    One thing, I removed my bag of carbon and took the slimmer cup off, but the bag of carbon had previously split so there are some carbon granules in the sump. Should I get rid ASAP? And I assume Refugium light is ok as normal?

Finally, I have a small CUC, one hermit, 2 peppermints and a emerald crab. All my snails previously died. Should I get some snails in there ASAP?

F0FD6663-2639-4DD9-B3D2-6D522207388F.jpeg D18CE734-ABD1-4C5E-A72A-ACB53E98330E.jpeg 686D01EE-74E5-4BC5-BD93-3D4C9F0F1A31.jpeg B92C4732-B0D9-4577-9C68-4CAADD846DB7.jpeg 2B377CE8-5887-47CC-A6A1-3DBAD0DBECB9.jpeg F9D1F1F1-E696-4D01-8D52-097B74F21591.jpeg 4F1B19FF-AC24-4FFB-8366-068A94992E62.jpeg 6402DC0C-D3AD-46FB-8F18-019D17594812.jpeg F0FD6663-2639-4DD9-B3D2-6D522207388F.jpeg F0FD6663-2639-4DD9-B3D2-6D522207388F.jpeg

109A8F47-44B9-492B-8046-F318E29AFBBC.jpeg

NCreefguy and stevo01 like this.
  12. NCreefguy

Hello and welcome to R2R!
    I wouldn't worry about that little bit of carbon in your sump and your fuge light is fine. I would definitely get more snails in there. They won't eat Bryopsis but they'll help keep your glass and rocks cleaner to help deter GHA growth.

13. Maggie321

Maggie321 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I called my vets office and talked to them about getting 8 200mg capsules of fluconazole to treat my 40 gallon tank... they kept calling it some other kind of zole...at first told me I could come get it then when I got there said "no, we don't understand why you are treating an algae with an antifungal medication". I tried explaining that sometimes meds have side effects that work for other purposes...and the EPA is never going to say that a medication that farmers dump on their crops every year, kills some forms of algae. Well anyway, now I'm just going to order it off the web. EBay has everything. I did tell them that I would much rather treat my tank with medication from a trustworthy source, rather that some unknown off eBay. I wish veterinarians were required to know more than just dogs and cats.

stevo01 likes this.
  14. stevo01

“The azole antifungal agents in clinical use contain either two or three nitrogens in the azole ring and are thereby classified as imidazoles (e.g., ketoconazole and miconazole, clotrimazole) or triazoles (e.g., itraconazole and fluconazole), respectively.”

Yes their is a family of “azole”. Fluconazole is used in the hobby to treat fungus infections in fish, more common in fresh water.

15. Maggie321

Maggie321 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

She kept calling it ketoconazole, I did tell her also, I am not a pharmacist and I am not sure if they are the same thing. I wouldn't want to risk it.

16. stevo01

Yeah thats the wrong one. See my quote I posted.

Maggie321 likes this.
  17. stevo01

Fluconazole is a Triazole and uses 3 nitrogen’s I believe.

18. Legal Reefer

Legal Reefer Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Just got my algae buster today, but I'm going to save it for backup. I am trying to find what started the outbreak as suggested, as it looks like changing from the primo RO water to distilled for changes and top off is starting to pay off. The algae is getting thin enough to see some rock again finally. Screenshot_20171106-212622.png Screenshot_20171106-212525.png Screenshot_20171106-212509.png Screenshot_20171106-212255.png Screenshot_20171106-212313.png

NCreefguy likes this.
  19. gfox

gfox Valuable Member

How is the shipping going thru pay-less for time?

20. NCreefguy

I chose the Priority Mail when I ordered mine and received it in 2 or 3 days.

Draft saved Draft deleted