Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae (including bacteria)' started by NCreefguy, Jan 19, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

2. No

3. I'm treating my tank with it now.

4. I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gfox

gfox Valuable Member

I went with free shipping.Where is this place located at?

2. Willy315

Willy315 Member

Minesotta.

I ordered mine Friday and received it Monday

NCreefguy likes this.
  3. NCreefguy

NCreefguy Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

They are located in Minnesota.

4. NCreefguy

@Willy315 beat me to it. :)

Yeah I think most people get theirs in a few days but there was someone in the thread I think it took a little over a week or so with the free shipping method.

5. Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey Valuable Member

It's true as I got rid of the entire bubble algae using Vibrant ... other algaes not so much

NCreefguy likes this.
  6. roberthu526

roberthu526 Well-Known Member

It took a good 8-10 days before I noticed any change. After that everything died off quicker and quicker. I am now at the third of the 2nd round and 70% of the hair algae I had are gone. Hopefully by the end of next week I will have a clean tank.

NCreefguy and mdbannister like this.
  7. Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thought I'd give an update. I did 2 rounds of fluconazle to both the main tank and the display refugium. The 2nd round was end of aug/1st of sept. I had 2 patches left under 2 rocks in the main display. They are gone and there is no algae in my tank except for a bit that gets on the glass. Very pleased with the results.

NCreefguy likes this.
  8. roberthu526

I am actually on 1 and 2.
    First treatment showed results after 8 days and I did a water change and started the 2nd round according to the instruction on the bottle. Now the effects are very obvious and quick since this is a continuation of treatment.

NCreefguy likes this.
  9. NCreefguy

I didn't have good luck with Vibrant. In the beginning it was said that you could use 2 doses per week to combat certain types of algae and it lowered my nitrates to 0 causing a Dino outbreak either from the imbalance of no3/po4 or something in Vibrant. I think since then uwc has mainly suggested once per week doses to help avoid that outcome. I know a ton of people just like you though has had great success with it killing all of their bubble algae and the folks at @UWC are nice people to deal with.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  10. NCreefguy

That's great news Susan! Thank you for giving us an update on your tank.

11. NCreefguy

Which bottle are you using?

12. Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey Valuable Member

I did half the dosage with weekly water changes over what's described from the bottle itself. I got the Vibrant for Reef ..??? It has been several months & still no signs of the bubble algaes.

Now I wanna try out the Fluconazole to rid the nuisance and stubborn Dino and hair algae ... the never ending struggle with them annoying algaes!!

NCreefguy likes this.
  13. NCreefguy

Yeah that sounds about right. I tried Vibrant about a year ago when it first came out and they hadn't really seen the effects of the 2 times per week dosing yet on some systems but after having people report back of the imbalance I believe they now only suggest once per week but it's been a while since I've read anything about them so @UWC would have to confirm that. Like I said I know a bunch of people who have said it completely got rid of their bubble algae with no problems.

14. MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank Active Member

I couldn't do priority because I am in Canada. It took a full week to get mine as it seemed to get held up at the border for a couple days.

15. roberthu526

The algae buster by reefhd. I bought six bottles from premium aquatics to avoid shipping charge...
    Hope I don’t need to use them all, ever.

16. NCreefguy

Oh okay. Yeah their dosages are half what everyone has been using so it may take longer for it to work(if it works at half the dose). They even said that in future releases of their product,they were going to increase the dosages on the bottles directions.If you're not seeing the algae die off you may have to up the dosage. If you are seeing results then I wouldn't add any more but I would definitely let the treatment run longer to make sure that it kills all of it.

17. Gaz uk

Gaz uk Member

It's been many months since i last used fluconazole and up to now bryopsis has not returned, it did take 3-4 doses to completly destroy, i now have the return of gha no surprise, vibrant is not working this time around for gha for some reason, if any it's got worse, so i think another does of fluconazole is on the cards on my next water change.

18. leahfiish

leahfiish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

19. gfox

gfox Valuable Member

Have another question for you if you don't mind.Just received the fluconazole from pay-less today.First time i used ReefHD Algae Buster and dosed it in a make shift filter sock in the basement sump.what is the advantage of dosing in the filter sock versus just dumping in the sump?First dose took care of about 90%.

20. leahfiish

leahfiish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Sorry if you mentioned this elsewhere but what dose did you use for the ReefHD algae buster?

Draft saved Draft deleted