Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Discussion in 'Algae (including nuisance algae and bacteria)' started by NCreefguy, Jan 19, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

45.9%
  2. No

6.0%
  3. I'm treating my tank with it now.

33.0%
  4. I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

15.1%
  1. mcarroll

mcarroll Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I saw a thread on the other site where they were having a fluconazole giveaway.

2. Legal Reefer

Legal Reefer Well-Known Member

stevo01 and NCreefguy like this.
  3. Legal Reefer

Legal Reefer Well-Known Member

Is this green hair algae? Not a good pic but all I have with me right now. Screenshot_20171102-171330.png

stevo01 likes this.
  4. stevo01

stevo01 R33F!N @DD!CT R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

Debersia, and fluconazole will kill it.

5. MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank Well-Known Member

I dosed my tank on October 25th for hair algae that I had no luck getting rid of. Once I turned off the blues in my tank and turned up the whites, I was stunned just how much of my rocks were covered. I can say without a doubt that this stuff works. I have been taking pictures every 3 days to document. Below is the pic of 1 area of rock from the day of dosing and the same area of rock today. I still have 5 more days of treatment to go. Depending on how it looks after the 14 days, I may let it go to 21 days. I haven't lost any livestock or corals. My corals actually seem to have grown a bit more than usual. It's nice to see how much coralline I really do have. 20171025_202837.jpg 20171103_164433.jpg

NCreefguy and stevo01 like this.
  6. Thiper

Thiper Member

I started my treatment at 31 October, so today is a day 4 and I know about the patience (chill) - just seeing no results make me thinking if having 500ml bag of Phosguard and adding SuperPSB (Super Red Photosynthetic Bacteria) - can delay or cancel the treatment process? The skimmer cup is off, the bubbles get back to the sump. Ain't got UV lights, ain't got carbon - just claer sump with those two.

MamaLovesHerReefTank likes this.
  7. MamaLovesHerReefTank

I didn't really notice any difference until day 6. It has steadily been declining since then. Give it a couple more days to see if you notice anything. Taking pictures every few days helped me see that it was working.

stevo01 likes this.
  8. Thiper

Thiper Member

@MamaLovesHerReefTank Thanks for a quick reply :) Today I found out that when I popped additional light (got 2 blue t5 54w and added 1 white 1 blue) - the diatoms got out and I think that bryopsis looked a bit... more healthier. Probbably need to get back to 2 blue's until the end of my treatment.

9. stevo01

Post pics of your algae issue please.

10. Thiper

Thiper Member

11. Thiper

Thiper Member

Here they are (dunno why images are not available there).

19.JPG

22.JPG

24.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

stevo01 likes this.
  12. MamaLovesHerReefTank

Does it look like the bryopsis is lighter on the tips of it? My gha looked like it actually got fuller in the few days after dosing but it was lighter at the tips. It has been getting thinner by the day since then. How much did you dose your tank with?

13. Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory Well-Known Member

Another success story for Flucanazole. I treated with Flucanazole to my tank for Bryopsis and it killed all of the Bryopsis with no apparent effect on my corals, fish or macro. My trumpet has actually grown/split during treatment. I left my skimmer and everything else running as usual, and haven't changed the water since [been a few weeks].

NCreefguy and stevo01 like this.
  14. gfox

gfox Well-Known Member

I could use your advice on another dose.It is coming up on 2 weeks on Monday that i dosed Reef HD Algae buster using their dosage on the bottle of 1 capsule for every 20 gallons,which you thought was only a half dose.I still have some hair algae and bryopis left in the tank it is better the last couple of days i have been using a toothbrush on the rocks and letting the filter sock get the loose pieces floating around.My question to you is should i wait to dose again and also the dosage i would need for around 170 gallons.I think i would need 20 capsules from pay=less.

15. stevo01

Bryopsis it'll die with proper fluconazole treatment. White tips then turning clear will mean its death.

16. stevo01

Thats awesome!

17. stevo01

At proper dosing it will work. Takes a week for signs.

18. ludnix

ludnix Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I started my dosing on October 25th as well. I'm seeing some great results on both the bryopsis on and GHA. I have a 50g cube with a small sump and used 6x 200mg caps.
    1.jpg

2.jpg

19. NCreefguy

NCreefguy Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I would go ahead with the second treatment if your nutrient levels aren't too high. If they are then do a water change and then start the second treatment. 17 capsules for your treatment.

stevo01 likes this.
  20. mcarroll

mcarroll Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

#mods (or whoever)

I'm not sure if it's possible, but can we get some poll options added for those folks who have required 2 doses, 3 doses, 4 doses, etc?

It seems like there's a large backlog of folks in the "still treating" section....and from the ~dozen of those folks I actually checked with nearly all could be multimple treatment tanks.

Since the FAQ indicates this should be a one-treatment solution (which is consistent with proper antibiotics usage) it seems like the folks using this thread could use a better poll.

"Yes it worked" "No it didn't" "Still treating" and "I like Bryopsis" doesn't seem to show the whole picture.

Something like this would be more useful:
    1. Yes it worked.
    2. On 2nd treatment.
    3. On 3rd treatment.
    4. On 4th treatment.
    5. No it didn't work.
    6. I like Bryopsis.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    chefjpaul likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted