Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ReefManKen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and advice Rakie!

I’ve not had issue with phosphates in my tank at all and I’m lucky being I’m in Florida and we are basically living on top of a state of phosphate.
I’ve tried dosing hard with magnesium with no success. The bryopsis does show wilting but it always comes back with a vengeance and now it’s taken hold on every thing in my tank coral and rock alike.

My polyps are growing vines with algae grapes on them too now so it’s attempting to spread but I’ve been vigilant in plucking them with tweezers when I see them and rinsing them in RoDi water to make sure no spores remain to infect further.
I’m a heavy feeder when I feed my fish and coral but I’m not overboard.

One thing I wanted to ask is should I turn my protein skimmer on a few hours after I feed to help clean out waste from fish and such or should I leave it off with the duty of doing s good size water change after the 15 day mark? I’m not running any other reactors or mechanical items on my tank I’m a manual doser for supplements and what not. I’m just touchy about leaving my fish to swim in dirty water and don’t want them to be uncomfortable.

syemeni2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 600mg of Fluconazole in 33g tank(about 27g of water) on tuesday(11/21/2017). I see almost no change on the byropsis.. But I did a mistake. I continued on running my protein skimmer, uv and active carbon. Do you think if I dosed another 600mg -foyer removing the active carbon and turning of the up and protein skimmer, I would be risking an overdose?

Thanks

syemeni2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 600mg of Fluconazole in 33g tank(about 27g of water) on tuesday(11/21/2017). I see almost no change on the byropsis.. But I did a mistake. I continued on running my protein skimmer, uv and active carbon. Do you think if I dosed another 600mg without a water change after removing the active carbon and turning of the up and protein skimmer, I would be risking an overdose?

Thanks

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 600mg of Fluconazole in 33g tank(about 27g of water) on tuesday(11/21/2017). I see almost no change on the byropsis.. But I did a mistake. I continued on running my protein skimmer, uv and active carbon. Do you think if I dosed another 600mg -foyer removing the active carbon and turning of the up and protein skimmer, I would be risking an overdose?

Thanks

There hasn't been any evidence that i've seen that shows that doubling this recommended dose will do anything except for possibly killing the algae off more quickly. The UV and carbon are likely an issue in your setup/dosing. If I were you, I would take the UV and carbon offline and dose a 50-75% dose [~400mg] to the tank again.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manually removed as much bryopsis as I could, then did a water change.
I removed carbon and took the skimmer cup off but left it running for increased gas exchange.

I dosed 200mg/10gal and the remaining bryopsis was gone in 10 days.

That was 1 month ago and no bryopsis has returned so far.
Skimmer cup was replaced after 1 week and it took 3 days to stop overflowing.
Filter socks were removed after 2 weeks.
No carbon has been replaced back into the sump.

Nitrates stayed at 0.5ppm and PO4 has stayed at 0.03ppm.
No fish or inverts were harmed or even took notice of the treatment.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am going to give this a try to help with the green turf algae I have.

Can I continue to dose NOPOX or should I stop that for the 7 days? Also what about Prodibio Bioptim? Do I have to have the skimmer off for the whole 14 days or can I turn it on after a couple days, especially if I notice a majority of the algae gone?

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/reefhd-reef-flux.html

is this the same thing?

Last edited:

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like the same thing.

Check out the FAQ on page 1 of this thread and that should answer most of your questions.

IDAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I got some crazy green hair algae in my tank right now.
I decided to dose with Fluconazole hoping it'll fix my problem.
I dose 200mgX6 pills for my 60 gallon tank.
I remove the carbon, and have only Fluval Clearmax (phosphate remover) media. turn off uv,skimmer.
It had been 3 days already and I dont see any change in my tank. :(

should I dose again?
There is anyone here who try it on green hair algae and it didn't work?

thank you,
Idan.

syemeni2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There hasn't been any evidence that i've seen that shows that doubling this recommended dose will do anything except for possibly killing the algae off more quickly. The UV and carbon are likely an issue in your setup/dosing. If I were you, I would take the UV and carbon offline and dose a 50-75% dose [~400mg] to the tank again.
I actually exactly put 400mg of Fluconazole yesterday.(I couldn’t help my temptation). I removed carbon, turned off the uv, and removed the collection cup but left the protein skimmer on to maintain the o2 level.

I am happy to hear that the advice I received matched my intuition.

Thanks a lot.

syemeni2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually exactly put 400mg of Fluconazole yesterday.(I couldn’t help my temptation). I removed carbon, turned off the uv, and removed the collection cup but left the protein skimmer on to maintain the o2 level.

I am happy to hear that the advice I received matched my intuition.

Thanks a lot.
Btw byropsis looks a little whiter today. So it seems like it reached the critical point anda the corals and fish look fine.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I got some crazy green hair algae in my tank right now.
I decided to dose with Fluconazole hoping it'll fix my problem.
I dose 200mgX6 pills for my 60 gallon tank.
I remove the carbon, and have only Fluval Clearmax (phosphate remover) media. turn off uv,skimmer.
It had been 3 days already and I dont see any change in my tank. :(

should I dose again?
There is anyone here who try it on green hair algae and it didn't work?

thank you,
Idan.

GHA has taken longer to get rid of using Fluconazole for those that have successfully used it. It may also take two treatments of 20 or so days. The GHA won't start to die off within the first week like bryopsis does, instead it will start to weaken and die off in the 15-20 day range. I would recommend manual removal of as much of the GHA as you can. This would help the Fluconazole kill off the GHA more quickly.

ReefManKen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
That carbon stripped it the UV doesn’t affect it. You can safely dose again I believe. So far I’ve had fantastic results and it’s been 5 days and noticably a huge improvement.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA has taken longer to get rid of using Fluconazole for those that have successfully used it. It may also take two treatments of 20 or so days. The GHA won't start to die off within the first week like bryopsis does, instead it will start to weaken and die off in the 15-20 day range. I would recommend manual removal of as much of the GHA as you can. This would help the Fluconazole kill off the GHA more quickly.
I actually used fluconazole for GHA. Around day 4 or 5, I started to see some of the GHA decreasing. I did the full 21 days to make sure I got it all. I would recommend this to anyone battling bryopsis or gha. I went from thinking about tearing my tank apart and starting over, to loving my tank again.

Redseamax650led

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve been reading this tread, and honestly still trying to read it all, only half way done but i already ordered mine and expecting to get it on thursday...my question is, what it is i’m battling, its mostly brownish green in color, is it bryopsis or some type of hair algae!
IMG_1614.JPG
b565c027712c15d794d636dd531e144c.jpg

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you turn your blues down or off and re-take those pics please?

It is very hard to see what you see.

IDAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, guys.
I'll keep you update about any change and soon will order 10 more to have in stock

ReefManKen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis should not be pruned:

Life without a cell membrane: regeneration of protoplasts from disintegrated cells of the marine green alga Bryopsis plumosa.
Kim GH1, Klotchkova TA, Kang YM.
Author information

Abstract
When the multi-nucleate giant cells of the green alga Bryopsis plumosa (Huds.) Ag. are injured, the protoplasm is extruded from the cells and can generate spontaneously numerous new cells. The cell organelles aggregate rapidly in seawater and become covered with a gelatinous envelope within 15 minutes. A lipid cell membrane is formed inside the envelope within 9 to 12 hours and about 15% of the original cell membrane is recycled to make the membrane of new protoplasts. Cytochemical studies using Nile Red and various enzymes revealed that the primary envelope is initially composed of polysaccharides, and then transformed into a polysaccharide-lipid complex. Fluorescein diacetate staining showed that the primary envelope has some characteristics of a cell membrane including semi-permeability and selective transport of materials. The aggregation of cell organelles appears to be mediated by two kinds of materials, one present in vacuolar sap and the other on the surface of the cell organelles. About a thousand new cells were generated from a single disintegrated branch and 40% of them eventually developed into mature plants.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11493637

Best regards
That would explain the flat red algae in the tank in places. It isn’t cyno and has a color close to the deep burgundy coraline algae that develops. Since dosing I’ve noticed a few spots where the rocks have developed a spider web coating much like necrosis developing. I’m curious if this has something to do with the infection of the fungus on the rock and parts of the coral it seems to like to attack.

This Algae being as tedious as it is to remove I’ve noticed it likes to attach and grow right at the base point of growth on corals such as torches and what not. I’ve got an elegance that keeps getting it back right at the meat and rock part of the coral like it’s trying to stunt it and kill the coral. All the way around this is a nasty problem to have and I’m so happy to have found this very effective solution to rid my tank of it. Usually it’s a losing battle with algae but Fluncomide is a miracle pill for sure when it comes to dealing with this very disgusting predator.

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a 20 gallon tank and 20 gallon sump Should I dose 1 pill or 2?

The sump has a lot of rock. Probably only has 10 gallons in it. Any harm in dosing more than 200mg?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back