Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Discussion in 'Algae (including nuisance algae and bacteria)' started by NCreefguy, Jan 19, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

46.3%
  2. No

5.9%
  3. I'm treating my tank with it now.

33.0%
  4. I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

14.8%
  1. roberthu526

roberthu526 Well-Known Member

I am actually on 1 and 2.
    First treatment showed results after 8 days and I did a water change and started the 2nd round according to the instruction on the bottle. Now the effects are very obvious and quick since this is a continuation of treatment.

NCreefguy likes this.

2. NCreefguy

NCreefguy Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I didn't have good luck with Vibrant. In the beginning it was said that you could use 2 doses per week to combat certain types of algae and it lowered my nitrates to 0 causing a Dino outbreak either from the imbalance of no3/po4 or something in Vibrant. I think since then uwc has mainly suggested once per week doses to help avoid that outcome. I know a ton of people just like you though has had great success with it killing all of their bubble algae and the folks at @UWC are nice people to deal with.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. NCreefguy

That's great news Susan! Thank you for giving us an update on your tank.

4. NCreefguy

Which bottle are you using?

5. Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey Well-Known Member

I did half the dosage with weekly water changes over what's described from the bottle itself. I got the Vibrant for Reef ..??? It has been several months & still no signs of the bubble algaes.

Now I wanna try out the Fluconazole to rid the nuisance and stubborn Dino and hair algae ... the never ending struggle with them annoying algaes!!

NCreefguy likes this.
  6. NCreefguy

Yeah that sounds about right. I tried Vibrant about a year ago when it first came out and they hadn't really seen the effects of the 2 times per week dosing yet on some systems but after having people report back of the imbalance I believe they now only suggest once per week but it's been a while since I've read anything about them so @UWC would have to confirm that. Like I said I know a bunch of people who have said it completely got rid of their bubble algae with no problems.

7. MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank Well-Known Member

I couldn't do priority because I am in Canada. It took a full week to get mine as it seemed to get held up at the border for a couple days.

8. roberthu526

roberthu526 Well-Known Member

The algae buster by reefhd. I bought six bottles from premium aquatics to avoid shipping charge...
    Hope I don’t need to use them all, ever.

9. NCreefguy

Oh okay. Yeah their dosages are half what everyone has been using so it may take longer for it to work(if it works at half the dose). They even said that in future releases of their product,they were going to increase the dosages on the bottles directions.If you're not seeing the algae die off you may have to up the dosage. If you are seeing results then I wouldn't add any more but I would definitely let the treatment run longer to make sure that it kills all of it.

10. Gaz uk

Gaz uk Member

It's been many months since i last used fluconazole and up to now bryopsis has not returned, it did take 3-4 doses to completly destroy, i now have the return of gha no surprise, vibrant is not working this time around for gha for some reason, if any it's got worse, so i think another does of fluconazole is on the cards on my next water change.

11. leahfiish

leahfiish Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

12. gfox

gfox Well-Known Member

Have another question for you if you don't mind.Just received the fluconazole from pay-less today.First time i used ReefHD Algae Buster and dosed it in a make shift filter sock in the basement sump.what is the advantage of dosing in the filter sock versus just dumping in the sump?First dose took care of about 90%.

13. leahfiish

leahfiish Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Sorry if you mentioned this elsewhere but what dose did you use for the ReefHD algae buster?

14. Willy315

Willy315 Well-Known Member

15. gfox

gfox Well-Known Member

No problem.1 capsule per 20 gallons

16. NCreefguy

I mixed mine in a cup and dumped it into the main display. Some people said that they were worried about the undissolved particles floating around the tank so they dumped theirs in a filter sock. I didnt have any problems at all dosing straight to the main tank.

17. gfox

gfox Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info

NCreefguy likes this.
  18. domgreenslade

domgreenslade Member

8 days down and here we have it:

83F5AE8D-A56A-44F3-82E4-B262EF2C3560.jpeg 9C8BAC57-7F74-46A2-8FA7-91EF70E59C9E.jpeg CF66CC4B-6B11-4A00-819F-36A370EB901B.jpeg A5CB8E1A-903B-423C-A313-63B15889DCF1.jpeg 0DDE992B-C6AC-446F-934C-14D798253131.jpeg BE4DCADE-8C2F-4F6B-9C27-044B104CC073.jpeg

As you can see, things are clearing up around my pavona and sand nicely, but on the rocks is not done anything, so now I’m questioning whether this is Bryopsis or not. Going to leave it the full 2 weeks before I reattach the skimmer cup by May leave it a final week after and see. Not sure what else it could be
    I also feel like the reason this stuff isn't shifting might be because i underdosed the tank.
    I had 3x150mg tablets, so 450mg total. 20mg per gallon, tank is 24 imperial gallons (29 US gallons). So probably underdosed by around 50-100mg. Either that, or the thicker stuff in those pictures above is not bryopsis

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 3:18 AM
  19. Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

You probably need the full dosage. I actually went one capsule over the recommended in both my tanks and it took 2 rounds. But as it hasn't even gone white, you def. need to add the full dose minimum.

20. domgreenslade

domgreenslade Member

Is it definitely Bryopsis what i've got then, from that image? Its 29gallons, so roughly 580mg needed...

I'm looking at dosing 4x150mg in next time, going to wait about 2 weeks, get nitrates and phosphates down a bit more and then go for the treatment again. Have there been any huge ill effects with slightly overdosing?

Draft saved Draft deleted