Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6

Bryopsis is dying quickly almost all white. Hair algae is also starting to fade and turning brown/white. Things are moving in the right direction.
Fish look good and healthy and so do the corals. No bad effects on my chaeto either.

20171207_171808.jpg

20171207_171815.jpg

20171207_171822.jpg

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for asking something that may have been said 100 times, but I am haivng problems finding where to buy fluconazole 200 MG capsule. If someone has a minute please direct me on how to get it and what the going cost is.

Thanks in advance

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for asking something that may have been said 100 times, but I am haivng problems finding where to buy fluconazole 200 MG capsule. If someone has a minute please direct me on how to get it and what the going cost is.

Thanks in advance

Got mine here, delivered in about 3 days.

https://www.fishlifeantibiotics.com

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give a quick update post in this thread. I have a 90g tank and my sump is probably about 15g. I purchased Reef HD's Reef Flux from premium aquatics to treat my algae. I had a few small patches of algae that were definitely bryopsis on my heater and my fighting conch and maybe 1-2 other places.
20171207_163638.jpg
I also had a lot of this which I wasn't 100% sure about but I was pretty sure it was bryopsis just a different kind. I started with 1 small patch but over the last few months especially it has spread everywhere 20171203_200434.jpg
I did a chemiclean treatment for 4 days then ran carbon overnight before doing a 20% water change and dosing all 10 of the dissolved capsules.
I'm currently on day 8 and almost all of the algae is gone. There are a few stray pieces left but they are mostly white. The algae on the heater is still there but I moved the heater today into a less shaded area so hopefully that clears up too. I'm very relieved because I wasn't sure if fluconazole would work for that 2nd algae pictured but I guess my hunch was right and it was bryopsis.

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treating my tank with Fluconazole for about a week now and the bryopsis has turned white on the tips and fades away. Still a few short patches here and there but they don't look healthy. Yay! Corals look great and seem really happy, especially the zoas which are now free from bryopsis.

I did notice that my alkalinity has spiked.. up from 8.5 to 10 in three days. I checked and recalibrated the doser and all seems well. I'm wondering if the coralline algae isn't sucking up Alk like it used to before the fluco treatment since the patches of coralline higher up in the tank have gone from purple to white. Beyond that, I'm at a loss as to what would cause an alk spike.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone check my math? Using for gha not bryopsis so 340mg per 10g i guess. I have 360g total. I'm getting about 12240mg needed then so I'm thinking a bottle of 60 pills at 200mg each should do it.

Also has anyone had success doing this in a generally higher than average nutrient tank? I've been running higher po4 and no3 forever generally with not much algae issues. But my macro in my fuge crashed a few months ago due to lighting issues and gha took its opportunity.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving this a shot, mostly to try and combat some GHA due to a fish that died while /sleeping hiding in a rock that spiked my nutrients. Def a few batches of bryopsis that snuck in somewhere in the past that I saw mixed in with the chaeto in my sump.

Hoping for the best, going to try the site that someone just posted a page or so back. Fingers crossed!!

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 10

Green Hair Algae still holding but slowly dying. Starting look like I may have to do one more treatment to fully eradicate it but we will see.

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago I did two treatments with fluconazole. It wiped out my Bryopsis, but did not help with my hair algae. It's been about 4 months, and the hair algae battle is finally tipping in my direction. However, suddenly the bryopsis is back.

It was a great treatment, but not a cure for me.

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsbull Did it help at all with your HA? Mine seems to definitley be going away but I think it will take two treatments.
Not even a bit. Vibrant has been helping. I was slow to use it because I have macro algae, but the vibrant doesn't seem to be hurting the macro. Or bryopsis for that matter.

ReefManKen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsbull Did it help at all with your HA? Mine seems to definitley be going away but I think it will take two treatments.
You’re only 9 days in. By day 14 you should see a total 180 in your tank. My tank was covered in bryopsis algae and I felt compelled to totally drain my tank and start over and I also had thoughts I would need to dose 2 times but it was almost like magic between day 12 and 14 it seemed to have totally vanished and I did my day 15 water change and my livestock is flourishing now and rocks look so much better! Heck my tank had coraline growing under all the hair algae and it’s nice to see all the new growth when the bryopsis disappeared. Be paitient if you did the dosing correctly and don’t run your skimmer and reactors you will be fine.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things can happen, with Fluconazole, that determine the success or failure of treatment:

- The drug should be of good origin and preferably of the same brand that someone has already used and was successful; "Modus faciendi" different, different result.

- The protocol should be followed and the prescribed dose should be complete, except when in the experiment, to determine the correct dose;

- Fear must be removed BEFORE initiating treatment, an underdose, for fear, may compromise the outcome and promote resistance;

- The ideal, whenever possible, is that the excipient used in the pharmaceutical form is innocuous for the purpose of use, which with the use of pills does not always happen.

Injectable Fluconazole exists, the vehicle of which is the 0.9% sodium chloride solution. This would be ideal for hobby use, if not for price. The correct dose for this form of presentation is not yet determined, but it should be much lower than that for capsules.

Best Regards

ReefManKen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good analysis and summary.

Totally correct about the quality of the medication used. Myself I used the human capsules from prescription Fluconazole 200mg.

Mixed with RODI water and added to tank after a very good mixing. I use a Hamilton beach milkshake mixer for mixing to maximize any powder to dissolve.

The biggest error I’ve read in the thread is people who don’t turn off their skimmer out of fear and not removing carbon or Shutting down reactors. U-\V doesn’t seem to affect the medication in the tank.

Light feeding for the 15 day period to minimize nitrite/nitrite spikes is wise.

And as stated if it’s done correctly you should have success and no future dosing should be required.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back