Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second dose failed as well as my first. Both times all bryopsis and hair algae died within a couple of weeks, then 3 weeks later it all makes a reappearance.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thats great Jose. Although I think thats not available in the United States without a prescription. Bummer!:( I think here in the states I might be relegated to buying the cheap Chinese-Philippines stuff that I bought last time for my fish. I'd love to get pharmaceutical grade made here in Illinois but it probably won't be an option. I think all of this stuff is the same for me just re-formulated into different brands and coming from the same un-regulated source.;Nailbiting
You try this??

https://www.fishlifeantibiotics.com

Nacltdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I never post, well almost never.
20mg per gal worked great for me. The Bryopsis and hair algae are gone! I don’t do water changes, after 3 months nothing has come back. Cheato still grows. Clams and corals and shrimps are fine. I got my drugs from a source in Thailand. Way cheaper than anywhere in the states. Since I used them for my “fish tank” I guess no US laws were broken.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My day one pics, added the night of the 27th. Pics from Dec 28...

20171228_100949.jpg
20171228_101002.jpg
20171228_101019.jpg

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does all Bryopsis have the small fern like structures ?

I have an algae that I have been fighting for awhile that I now think is bryopsis but it doesn’t have the small fern like ends that everyone describes ?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read your notice about people being PM'd to not try it, how strange anyone cares that much lol! its a cure tool among cure tools. ABout twenty seven thousand bryopsis growers now love this stuff, id for sure keep caps on hand if I had a large tank too. Fluc earned placement in our permanent arsenal options really quick, much faster than peroxide did for sure. no fluc shaming heh. That doesn't mean in posts out in public I don't try and persuade nano reefers focus on hand grazing vs any chems as the initial approach, but then again there are some times we have them use Fluc as well... depends on the situation. Fluc might be the single best bryopsis cure ive ever seen if a hands off method is warranted. Vibrant gets the award for best valonia treatment ever discovered, kudos to treatment options via the water there is a massive massive demand for that option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been super busy during the holidays. Trying to catch up on reading through the thread now.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read your notice about people being PM'd to not try it, how strange anyone cares that much lol! its a cure tool among cure tools. ABout twenty seven thousand bryopsis growers now love this stuff, id for sure keep caps on hand if I had a large tank too. Fluc earned placement in our permanent arsenal options really quick, much faster than peroxide did for sure. no fluc shaming heh. That doesn't mean in posts out in public I don't try and persuade nano reefers focus on hand grazing vs any chems as the initial approach, but then again there are some times we have them use Fluc as well... depends on the situation. Fluc might be the single best bryopsis cure ive ever seen if a hands off method is warranted. Vibrant gets the award for best valonia treatment ever discovered, kudos to treatment options via the water there is a massive massive demand for that option.

Yeah there are always at least one of those people around who think that they are saving the world from each other without caring about the destruction they themselves do to the earth on a daily basis.

We've got tanks now that haven't had a water change in almost a year after treatment without any algae what so ever growing in them. We aren't seeing any ill effects so far from long term, low dose continuous usage either so things are going great.Using Flucon is definitely here to stay.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed

One reason I push for rasping and forcing out invasions as the first go habit, surely in smaller tanks if not all, is because it’s a pan-generic universal invasion prevention trait. It’s good old fashioned gardening. Safe back pocket habit and skill to have for whatever the invader, majanos to aiptasia to bryopsis to asparagopsis.

Nothing beats knifing out an invasion on removed rocks...outside of tank, rinsed in a sink using clean saltwater so bits don’t recirculate, but that’s only easy for small tanks and keepers have to merge through the gentle toothbrush phase to ever get to the phase that works.

They will never start with a knife, that’s too barbaric. By the time a few toothbrushings didn’t unroot a set-in invader, they lose faith in external work and we lose them to the invasion (they start over)

Our manual scraping/knife tip debriding option trades off caloric/repeated human work for a given space in an aquarium to be invader free. It trains being commanding, at least for one spot.

High effort, good reliable outcome, but markets always shift towards efficiency over time it’s not just after pics. Most people wait till deep into an invasion to get serious, fluc is ideal in that mode for it’s indicated species because it saves work and is the best bet out there for bryopsis catch up, which is 97% of bryopsis challenges.

**we had some tanks so bad of bryopsis, peroxide wasn’t working, fluc did, that means fluc beats peroxide within its niche... and I’m clearly slanted towards peroxide. The specific case example for that claim is poster pjanssen’s build thread on nano-reef.com. Even rasping was challenging her tank bc the plants were rooted deep, and her rock exceptionally porous. Fluc saved her tank.

Fluc is restricted to a very tight range of susceptibles, for example I can’t cure red gelidium tanks with it, so I always push that new keepers develop the duality of being able to both force control a given rock while they also employ the newest methods of the day, have a multi tool approach to reefing. Why can’t all dissensions be written that nicely heh

That this thread is +200 pages remarks on amazing momentum. I see reefcentral fluc threads showing similar outcomes as we do here, Brian D is directly humble and thankful for that I’m positive. He secretly wants to thank you all for helping his own tank, and the sharing of info between the two sites has made him reflect kindly on the benefits of information sharing, without asterisks.

Nano reef.com has fluc success, the chem cannot be debated in its niche. Peroxide is a niche, I’d never use it on cyano or aiptasia etc but where it shines it shines. If I had a large tank and bryopsis showed up at the very bottom after I took careful time guiding in a scape before I stacked it like a skyscraper, I would for sure 110% dose a lot of fluc to that system, bryopsis is ebil.

Last edited:

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed about 1.5 weeks ago for GHA, absolutely getting the job done. Been dosing vibrant before and during 2x a week and my nutrients still don't register on my API kits. I do have diatoms showing up, so they are definitely still there. Question remains on if this treatment holds if I keep the nutrients down, or if it all pops back up. Only time will tell.

Palluk33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is crazy expensive, if I'm Calculating right for 50gl I would need 70 x 200mg for 15 days treatment capsules is this correct? Someone double check please

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back