Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleaching is usually caused by nutrient deprived environment not nutirient rich. nutrient rich environment usually causes browning out of color not bleaching. are you confusing bleaching (loss of color) with RTN/STN?

I still have bryopsis in my sump after the treatment with skimmer off. I would say the bryopsis is about 75% dead. however, still there.

No I'm not confusing bleaching with RTN/STN. I'm saying that a stressed coral can expel their zooxanthellae (bleaching loss of color).

Heibel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1223171630a.jpg
Do you think I would have good luck with this treatment for this fun looking stuff?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleaching is usually caused by nutrient deprived environment not nutirient rich. nutrient rich environment usually causes browning out of color not bleaching. are you confusing bleaching (loss of color) with RTN/STN?

I still have bryopsis in my sump after the treatment with skimmer off. I would say the bryopsis is about 75% dead. however, still there.

I would say the main cause of bleaching is stress, normally heat, especially in nature. Over illumination is a frequent cause of bleaching in the hobby as coral shut off extra energy as heat. Flow does help this, as it reduces the coral boundary layer of water, and it would be nice if we as a hobby asked about flow more when someone bleaches their coral from over illumination.

Bleaching tends to be rapid, with low nutrients we sometimes see a gradual bleaching where the coral lose color, but it's not the rapid expulsion of zooxanthellae. I don't know if it's the same mechanism or not.

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NCreefguy bleaching is NOT present in all of my SPS. only a select few took the bullet right after dosing.

@hart24601 i took a look back at charts on my apex of the week when I dosed the flucon and it was consistent at 77-78 degrees. my ap700 kessils are set to 25% intensity at mid day. hardly what anyone would consider too intense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NCreefguy bleaching is NOT present in all of my SPS. only a select few took the bullet right after dosing.

I never said it was. I'm just saying that the raised nutrients all be it small for your tank may have stressed those corals that bleached. That's not saying that some of them won't come back though, sometimes they do,sometimes they don't.

Last edited:

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you were having issues with it before dosing. What was causing the bleaching/TN before dosing flucon?

no issues at all. the white you see was actually blue in color to the naked eye. the camera did not pick up on the true color in the video. it was as healthy as an acro can be.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1223171630a.jpg
Do you think I would have good luck with this treatment for this fun looking stuff?

I don't think that we've run across anyone who's mentioned trying it on Udotea yet. Maybe someone who has will chime in for you though.

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@puffy127 check out this thread... pic is about 6 months after I got the frag. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-is-this-beauty.264547/

its still not a perfect rendition as it did not have the blue growth tips when I took this picture but its close to what it looked like on the body of the coral. hope that helps with any doubts you might have.

Last edited:

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the first post updated with the current protocol or are there modifications throughout the thread that I should be looking for?

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the first post updated with the current protocol or are there modifications throughout the thread that I should be looking for?
Yeah it's still good just note like we've mentioned some people keep their skimmer going as normal instead of removing the skimmer cup but the results have varied.

Vlad79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi how many tablets i have to put in, for 150 gallons including sump and about 80kg live rock? Do i have to deduct rock or just mix 15 tabs? Thanks

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi how many tablets i have to put in, for 150 gallons including sump and about 80kg live rock? Do i have to deduct rock or just mix 15 tabs? Thanks

80 kg of live rock is about 10 gallons in volume; you can reduce the dose to 14 tablets (200 mg/tablet).

Best regards

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

from personal experience if you have sensitive corals you may want to leave skimmer on. the OP is testing ongoing dosage so there may be question of protocol. just my .02

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm doing my second round of flucanzole. Really really crossing my fingers I don't lose sps this time. I'm running rowa phos to deal with phosphates from die off and will be diligent in my testing for phosphate and nitrates this go around. What is the consensus on running a skimmer? Will it pull too much of the medication out or have people successfully run theirs during this time? I have mine currently off

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that video in its entirety months ago... No Jason does not fit the mold at all. His system is hundreds of gallons and more in par to commercial sized system.. well it is commercial sized.

Ok. What am I missing here besides your point? If he's using the same 20mg/g ratio that is listed for hobbiest tanks and he isn't experiencing problems how does the larger tank volume come into play?

Last edited:

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm doing my second round of flucanzole. Really really crossing my fingers I don't lose sps this time. I'm running rowa phos to deal with phosphates from die off and will be diligent in my testing for phosphate and nitrates this go around. What is the consensus on running a skimmer? Will it pull too much of the medication out or have people successfully run theirs during this time? I have mine currently off
ok you mentioned you lost SPS

Ok. What am I missing here besides your point? If he's using the same 20mg/g ratio that is listed for hobbiest tanks and he isn't experiencing problems how does the larger tank volume come into play?
the part you missed is... JF does not say the dosage he used? you also missed the fact that he stated in the vid he does very frequent water changes by which he would dilute anything in his tank.

I for one would like to hear more from JF on specific dosage he used and weather or not he chose to keep his skimmer on (i'm sure he had commercial grade equipment also which may be more effective in removing toxins). Having so much invested I would guess he took it much slower than the rec. dosage. Just a hunch.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back