Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That research seems to contradict my experience. When we pull bryopsis patches, we pull from the base. There is limited damage to the plumosa filaments in this fashion. Also not uncommon for a water change to take place after extraction.

That research was linked to me in a PM by mccarrol months ago when he was trying to find something to prove his belief of spontaneous generation of Bryopsis. What it showed though was the Bryopsis regenerated from an existing Bryopsis cell,not spontaneously. Pruning or pulling or picking Bryopsis does not remove all of the existing Bryopsis cells. Performing a water change afterward doesn't remove all the cells either. Imagine cutting your lawn and dumping the clippings into your tank. Now perform a water change and see if that removed all of the clippings,or much less things on a cellular level.

Last edited:

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That research was linked to me in a PM by mccarrol months ago when he was trying to find something to prove his belief of spontaneous generation of Bryopsis. What it showed though was the Bryopsis regenerated from an existing Bryopsis cell,not spontaneously. Pruning or pulling or picking Bryopsis does not remove all of the existing Bryopsis cells. Performing a water change afterward doesn't remove all the cells either. Imagine cutting your lawn and dumping the clippings into your tank. Now perform a water change and see if that removed all of the clippings,or much less things on a cellular level.
I guess you guys are under the assumption that it was impossible to eradicate bryopsis prior to flucon? That manual remove (that doesnt include clippings or trimmings) has never worked in the history of reef keeping?

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you guys are under the assumption that it was impossible to eradicate bryopsis prior to flucon? That manual remove (that doesnt include clippings or trimmings) has never worked in the history of reef keeping?

Actually prior to Flucon years ago I killed Bryopsis with Tech M.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, I had a bleaching event in my tank where 6-7 colonies turned white in a matter of 1-2 days about 6-7 days after I medicated the tank. I can not attribute the bleaching 100% to the meds used but all of my params were stable and as others suggested to continue to dose vodka, i did but i turned off the skimmer and stopped all water changes for the perscribed time.
I am just wondering if anyone had this occur in their tank?

I've dosed yesterday (sps heavy) & whilst reading thru this thread i saw your posts about the above.
Did you maybe consider that after 6-7 days with your skimmer off that the ph was that low that there may have been the cause?

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jose Mayo, so my 14 days are up. I did a 10g water change. I have a 65g. All looks good. I only have placed a very small bag of Purigen in the tetra filter I have for chemical media and replenished the Phosguard bag that I used the whole time treating with fluconazole. Now I have 2x200mg capsules left. Should I pull the Purigen out and dose 1 capsule per week to help make sure it does not come back? I left the collection cup off the whole time. It is back on now, but dry skimming.
Looking at what is already known, the best course of action would be to store the extra medication and only use it if it is needed again.

Regards

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That research seems to contradict my experience. When we pull bryopsis patches, we pull from the base. There is limited damage to the plumosa filaments in this fashion. Also not uncommon for a water change to take place after extraction.
Well, if I have a plan to solve the problem, and it works for me, I would stay in it until I needed the change ...

The proposal to use Fluconazole has never been to control the need to clean the panes of the aquarium frequently, but to control algae hitherto considered difficult enough for most reefers, to the point of having expelled some of the hobby ... Today, I see many reefers put photos of their algae problem, for identification, wishing ardently that they are Bryopsis. Less than two years ago their prayers were the opposite, because they knew they would have great difficulty controlling Bryopsis.

If manual control was done? Of course. Did it work well every time? Of course. But in the last two years it has been much easier and predictable to control this and other difficult algae with the help of Fluconazole and, with more time and more experimentation, more efficient protocols can be achieved and perhaps the scope of indication of this treatment combined or not with other methods or other medications, not only to control some strains of GHA, which has resisted their action, but also to treat other algae, such as Chrysophytes sp, for example, which are also rich in ergosterol.

Regards

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed a long time ago. Fluconazole killed the Byropsis but it came back. There’s just remnants now but I’d really like to kill it for good. What’s the recommended dose these days? What would be considered to be a strong dose vs. normal dose? I’d like to crank up the heat so to speak.

Conscept

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed carbon .. can I keep phosguard running?

Il take skimmer cup off

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed carbon .. can I keep phosguard running?

Il take skimmer cup off

There is no reason to think that Phosguard or Rowaphos has any interaction with Fluconazole. The evidence seems to demonstrate the opposite and it seems useful to maintain a phosphate remover in the line to help keep this parameter more stable during the use of Fluconazole.

Regards

Conscept

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason to think that Phosguard or Rowaphos has any interaction with Fluconazole. The evidence seems to demonstrate the opposite and it seems useful to maintain a phosphate remover in the line to help keep this parameter more stable during the use of Fluconazole.

Regards

Thats good news. Thank you :)

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed yesterday (sps heavy) & whilst reading thru this thread i saw your posts about the above.
Did you maybe consider that after 6-7 days with your skimmer off that the ph was that low that there may have been the cause?
@2una, seen any negative effects w your sps since the dose? About to dose my sps tank.

SeaWorthyKC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed a long time ago. Fluconazole killed the Byropsis but it came back. There’s just remnants now but I’d really like to kill it for good. What’s the recommended dose these days? What would be considered to be a strong dose vs. normal dose? I’d like to crank up the heat so to speak.
I had the same thing after about a month if started to show up again so thinking of doing it again while there isn't very much

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing after about a month if started to show up again so thinking of doing it again while there isn't very much
No problem to repeat the treatment and the same dosage as the first may be employed. In my experiments I used a dose of 9 mg / gallon (33 mg / gallon) for the treatment of Derbesia and did not go beyond because it was not necessary, but ideally when using medicines in the aquarium, it is to work with the lowest dose effective.

Regards

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@2una, seen any negative effects w your sps since the dose? About to dose my sps tank.

99% ok - i do have 1 piece that's losing colour from the base but that very well may be unrelated.
For sps tanks i think it might be important to remember about the ph going to low if you turn your skimmer off especially if your running a calcium reactor.
I just turned mine down so it wasn't putting skimmate to the cup for 3 days & then put it back on normal.
I wasn't heavy amount of bryopsis - dosed 200mg/10 gal - day 6 & my bryopsis is close to finished.
I left GFO running - have not seen any nutrient spikes from either no3 or po4 BUT i didn't have a ton of bryopsis to start with.

I'm thinking what issues @coralcruze had could possibly be like what you can see sign of in this article, where higher co2/low ph & strong lighting are showing bleaching tendencies.
http://www.pnas.org/content/105/45/17442

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to start a dose of flucanzole tomorrow to see if will kill this chrysophtes pest algae I have taking over my tank !

I have 400 litter system and I will use 5mg/L

Is this the dose for my tank

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back