Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% ok - i do have 1 piece that's losing colour from the base but that very well may be unrelated.

Just an update as i'm finished after day 7 - all sps fine that 1 colony i mentioned above that was losing colour i caught a Scutus (elephant slug) munching on it.

Thank you @Jose Mayo @NCreefguy & contributors for making this so easy

Last edited:

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update as i'm finished after day 7 - all sps fine that 1 colony i mentioned above that was losing colour i caught a Scutus (elephant slug) munching on it.

Thank you @Jose Mayo @NCreefguy & contributors for making this so easy
Thanks for the update... I'm on my 3rd day with sps and I haven't seen any adverse effect so far.

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do have 1 piece that's losing color from the base...

I'm thinking what issues @coralcruze had could possibly be like what you can see sign of in this article, where higher co2/low ph & strong lighting are showing bleaching tendencies.
http://www.pnas.org/content/105/45/17442

Sorry but although you or others might want to point towards anything other than the medication that caused the bleaching in my tank and others here... i still feel it was attributed to the addition of the medicatiin itself and I provided articles to prove the possability.

Sorry but i run apex on an automated system... my ph remained at 8.1 - 8.3 range during the whole medication process.

Sorry lighting is normally run at 35% intensity and was reduced to 25%... so this is unlikly the issue here IMHO. If lighting was the issue than it would have been so for more of the corals or only corals closer to the light sourse which wasnot the case for all of the sps that bleached.

The corals that bleached are still for the most part severly bleached but have not died and i attribute that to the super stable system that I run. actually one of the corals a hawkins echinada has actually shown color returning to the tissue. also all other corals including new aquisitions AFTER major water changes... dilution and running GAC and GFO thankfully have not shown any signs of bleaching.

I PERSONALLY WOULD NOT USE THE MED. AGAIN. I dont feel that its a necessary risk in my case as i was trying to be proactive in riding a small stubborn spot of bryopsis that unfortunately still exists and so does the hair algae. In my tank i can tell you that fouconozole was a complete failure. people can make thier own minds and determine the risks vs reward. to me not worth the risk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought will the dose change with diffeent nutrient levels ! For example UNLS system! would the dose from 5mg/L be a lower dose ? Or may be a higher dose ?

I'll be updating this thread soon (still waiting on some info from others)but for now here is what we have going on...

We've got systems that are running on a continuous 5-20%(depending on nutrient levels) of the original dosage of Fluconazole. These systems were treated with the orginal dose(20mg/gal) for the first 3-6 weeks(depending on amount/type of algae). There were a few tanks(out of over 30 tanks)that were treated twice from being covered in GHA. Bryopsis died in the first few weeks in each system that had it(or at least all that we could visually see).
After the 3-6 weeks we performed a 20% water change with an additional 20% water change the following week. We then dosed most of the tanks with 10%(2mg/gal) of the original dosage except for some higher nutrient systems that we dosed 20%(4mg/gal).We did have a couple ULNS that we dosed with .5mg/gal with varying results. (it's hard to match every single factor in these tanks)So what we decided was to go with 1-2mg/gal for the ULNS.Once a month we perform a 20% water change and replace the 10% flucon dose.As I've said,we have some systems that haven't had a water change in months.We'll have more details about that later.

These same dosage amounts are being tried by others as we speak and we're waiting to see if their results matched ours.We are fairly confident though as we haven't seen any GHA or Bryopsis in almost a year.

So in all we ran 20mg/gal to kill the algae then 1-4mg/gal to to keep any GHA from returning.Once again as a reminder, GHA/turf/bubble algae can/will return in a saltwater system when the conditions are right for its growth. Using the treatment doesn't change the conditions in your tank that allowed it's growth in the first place.Bryopsis won't return unless you reintroduce it into your system or some of the Bryopsis cells remained in your tank allowing it's regeneration.

Last edited:

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great relpy and thanks for making it more clear ,

I have a UNLS system and iv started using fluconazole 300mg for 360 litres! I will increase the dose by 300mg every 7 days till the chrysophtes are gone in the system !

Max dose will top out at 1900 mg and I hope its gone way before I hit that dose

I thought the UNLS dose would be different so I will let you know how I get on with the killing of chrysophtes !

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great relpy and thanks for making it more clear ,

I have a UNLS system and iv started using fluconazole 300mg for 360 litres! I will increase the dose by 300mg every 7 days till the chrysophtes are gone in the system !

Max dose will top out at 1900 mg and I hope its gone way before I hit that dose

I thought the UNLS dose would be different so I will let you know how I get on with the killing of chrysophtes !

Excellent! Keep us informed on your progress.

reefn247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used flucanozal treatment while running a sulfur denitrator? Does the sulfur effect the flucanozal?
Ive dosed my 120 gal with 30 x 200mg pills over 16 days and bryopsis and gha still exist. There has been about 30% die off...but majority is stickn around.
Skimmer is off and carbon is out.
All parameters are on point...nitrate being <5ppm.
Any input about this combo is appreciated.

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used flucanozal treatment while running a sulfur denitrator? Does the sulfur effect the flucanozal?
Ive dosed my 120 gal with 30 x 200mg pills over 16 days and bryopsis and gha still exist. There has been about 30% die off...but majority is stickn around.
Skimmer is off and carbon is out.
All parameters are on point...nitrate being <5ppm.
Any input about this combo is appreciated.

How come you used the pills and not the powder out the capsules? It could be that it might not dissolve the same or work the same ?

Some one on here will know the answer

reefn247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come you used the pills and not the powder out the capsules? It could be that it might not dissolve the same or work the same ?

Some one on here will know the answer

18 pills came from payless pet and 12 capsules came from lfs

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NCreefguy u have experience with running a sulfur denitrator while using fluc?

Let me go through my notes to see if anyone is using one. If not though I don't see any reason why it would have an effect on the actions of the meds.
@Jose Mayo Do you know if a sulfur denitrator would inhibit the treatment in any way?

slowngreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update after 4 weeks of the end of my treatment. At the end of my treatment I had zero Bryopsis left but a good amount of GHA, although it looked to be withering pretty good. I went ahead and did my water change, 50% in all. The GHA continued to die over the next week or so and is completely gone now.
I might be wrong but I sure think that everything in my tank looks and acts happier and healthier now, colors are better, fish seem more vibrant and active. I had zero negative effects on anything that I can see. No bleaching in any sps although I have a limited amount but still no ill effects.
I consider this a miracle drug and want to thank the OP and everywhere else who put out useful info on this, it might just be a hobby saver to those who get discouraged easily with nuisance algae.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update after 4 weeks of the end of my treatment. At the end of my treatment I had zero Bryopsis left but a good amount of GHA, although it looked to be withering pretty good. I went ahead and did my water change, 50% in all. The GHA continued to die over the next week or so and is completely gone now.
I might be wrong but I sure think that everything in my tank looks and acts happier and healthier now, colors are better, fish seem more vibrant and active. I had zero negative effects on anything that I can see. No bleaching in any sps although I have a limited amount but still no ill effects.
I consider this a miracle drug and want to thank the OP and everywhere else who put out useful info on this, it might just be a hobby saver to those who get discouraged easily with nuisance algae.

That's great to hear! I'm glad the treament worked for you. I'm going to be updating the thread soon with what we've been working on over the past year. Several posts back I mentioned that we've been using a continuous dose of 10-20% of your original dosage monthly to keep any GHA from returning.So far we haven't seen any ill effects towards fish,corals,inverts on a low dose continuous usage for a year now.
It's nice to be able to enjoy the tanks, feed the fish and corals(Im a heavy feeder at times)and not worry about everything getting covered in GHA.

slowngreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! I had been hoping someone was experimenting. One thing I had wondered about is if doing a continuous dose could end up leading to it being less and less effective over time. I look forward to your update!

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I had wondered about is if doing a continuous dose could end up leading to it being less and less effective over time.
This is what we've been watching for closely. So far it hasn't been the case. We've got more people working on this long term now so we'll see if anyone has any different results.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if Fluco has any effect (positive/negative) on pods?

We culture our own Amphs and Copes(3 types) and it had no effect on the cultures that we tested,or not directly anyway. The test cultures that contained flucon and fed nanno kept a white covering at the top of the cultures but they never crashed.I really can't tell a difference between the systems that we feed the pods to verses the systems we don't.They are all fairly clean and everything healthy looking.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back