Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had fluconazole delivered and it’s tablet form instead of the capsules, will this dissolve in RODI ok?

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sabellafella, I read through 50 pages of this thread and just can’t make it through the additional 200 pages. What was the outcome long term of your buddies macro algae? I’ve got a fuge full of macros that I don’t want to kill off. @Ncreefer we’re there any results on bubble algae and GHA? Thanks to all for the solid work! I have a small patch of briopsis I want gone before it becomes an issue.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had fluconazole delivered and it’s tablet form instead of the capsules, will this dissolve in RODI ok?
Yes, it may be, but it will be more laborious than to dissolve the powder of the capsules ... try first to crush them with little water, forming a paste, and then dissolve the paste as best as possible in RO / DI water.

Regards

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Sabellafella, I read through 50 pages of this thread and just can’t make it through the additional 200 pages. What was the outcome long term of your buddies macro algae? I’ve got a fuge full of macros that I don’t want to kill off. @Ncreefer we’re there any results on bubble algae and GHA? Thanks to all for the solid work! I have a small patch of briopsis I want gone before it becomes an issue.
Actually it did not affect any of his macros. Think he has some dragons breath, 2-3 species of caulerpa-grape and fern looking varietys. Others were insane looking macros that I have no idea what they are, but hes done a couple treatments and they were all fine.

Keith_Cookson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys (and girls)

Having read this post - Thanks to the OP by the way, Im scared to death but ive just treated my beloved tank with Fluconanzole eeeek!

Have faith he sighs! Deep breaths...

I plan to keep skimmer off for the next 3 days. UV is staying on.

Taking note to expect a nutrient spike - I was toying with using Nyos Zero (use it to reduce phosphates and Nitrates)

Will it help or hinder? Would you advise different?

Also - to help give you all the required information, Im running a sump with cheato too if it has any baering.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me im deeply grateful.

Keith

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to start by thanking @NCreefguy and @Jose Mayo for finding this solution to bryopsis infestations. Also thanks to everyone who has shared their experience.

I am 7 days in to my treatment using Reef Flux and bryopsis and green hair algae are starting to turn white. I have a frag tank and display tank plumbed together into one system. Bryopsis and green hair algae had started to take hold in my frag tank and starting to smother corals so I determined it was time to take action.

My tanks are mixed reefs with heavy load of sps. 7 days in and no corals have shown any signs of stress or discoloration. I felt it would be useful to share my experience and show the wide range of corals that I have that have not seen any negative impact from fluconazole.

Below are some pictures of the corals I keep (I wish I had taken some "algae pictures"). If you want to dive in deeper here is my tank thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rentons-custom-200.101447/page-26

Again, thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences, I will stop in with an update next week!

OChsevsh.jpg

ibhcQrPh.jpg

dJqwJ27h.jpg

gYiI2rah.jpg

kcscuqvh.jpg

d6P5Fakh.jpg

vF2Yhh9h.jpg

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys (and girls)

Having read this post - Thanks to the OP by the way, Im scared to death but ive just treated my beloved tank with Fluconanzole eeeek!

Have faith he sighs! Deep breaths...

I plan to keep skimmer off for the next 3 days. UV is staying on.

Taking note to expect a nutrient spike - I was toying with using Nyos Zero (use it to reduce phosphates and Nitrates)

Will it help or hinder? Would you advise different?

Also - to help give you all the required information, Im running a sump with cheato too if it has any baering.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me im deeply grateful.

Keith

Reducing the nutrient spikes can help lessen any impact the treatment may have on your system. I didn't notice that much of an increase but others have reported a higher nutrient build up than they liked. Just keep an eye on it. You can perform a water change if you have to and replace the Flucon.Let us know how the treatment goes for you.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to start by thanking @NCreefguy and @Jose Mayo for finding this solution to bryopsis infestations. Also thanks to everyone who has shared their experience.

I am 7 days in to my treatment using Reef Flux and bryopsis and green hair algae are starting to turn white. I have a frag tank and display tank plumbed together into one system. Bryopsis and green hair algae had started to take hold in my frag tank and starting to smother corals so I determined it was time to take action.

My tanks are mixed reefs with heavy load of sps. 7 days in and no corals have shown any signs of stress or discoloration. I felt it would be useful to share my experience and show the wide range of corals that I have that have not seen any negative impact from fluconazole.

Below are some pictures of the corals I keep (I wish I had taken some "algae pictures"). If you want to dive in deeper here is my tank thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rentons-custom-200.101447/page-26

Again, thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences, I will stop in with an update next week!

OChsevsh.jpg

ibhcQrPh.jpg

dJqwJ27h.jpg

gYiI2rah.jpg

kcscuqvh.jpg

d6P5Fakh.jpg

vF2Yhh9h.jpg

Great looking tank!!! Your corals look amazing @Renton777 ! I'm glad the treatment is beginning to work for you. Keep us udpdated on your progress.

Keith_Cookson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NCreefguy - Thanks for the advice. 2 days...i can see white tips ....finally i can see light at the end of the tunnel.

My LFS told me id have to pull my reef apart and replace all the rock....

I have a sales pitch for him...

Reducing the nutrient spikes can help lessen any impact the treatment may have on your system. I didn't notice that much of an increase but others have reported a higher nutrient build up than they liked. Just keep an eye on it. You can perform a water change if you have to and replace the Flucon.Let us know how the treatment goes for you.

medtoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but there are many factors to consider, including the "modus faciendi" of the pharmaceutical form we are using and the origin and quality of the drug. When I used Zitromax (fluconazole lab Pfizer there Diflucan), the results were better than with other brands, but this was much more expensive.

Only time and experimentation will point the way; better brand, better dose, better protocol ... we're just in the beginning.

Best Regards
HOLYCOW! IT WORKED!! Treate my 320 tank and 60 gallon sump with 20 mg/gallon Diflucan (dose was probably higher as I didn't subtract any for live rock and sand etc). Bryopsis is toast. I had some turf algae. It's all gone. one month later, no algae on the glass. All my corals, fish, shrimp etc are totally fine! Resisted using this for a couple years and was trying to manage my Byopsis with nutrient control (my nitrate is less than 1), nuking spot out breaks with NaOH (a new spot would always occur) and taking out affected rocks. Now it's all gone. Can't believe all the time I wasted when I should have just used diflucan. At the dose I used, it is hard on the Cheato. I use a Kessil H380 in my sump...another amazing piece of equipment to reduce nitrates. The Cheato in the cento croaked. In the corners farthest from the lights it survived and is now thriving better than ever free from any hair/turf algae. If you have Bryopsis...kill it with Diflucan and stop wasting your time with anythings else. BTW , after a couple days, I turned on my skimmer and just reduced with a small amount of Diflucan

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a treatment with reef Flux on the 28th of March and a week later all of my bryopsis was gone. I took off my skimmer cup and removed all chemical filtration, and haven't done any water changes. I used 15 capsules for a 120g+~15g sump. I put my skimmer cup back on yesterday. I'm hoping the bryopsis is gone for good this time. Last time it came back after about a month. I haven't noticed any adverse reactions from my corals, fish, or inverts. I haven't tested my nutrient levels either. I also started growing chaeto at the same time I started treatment and it is doing great.
Here's some progress pics
Before pictures taken 1-2 days before I started treating. The back glass was covered. I used the ricordias as an indicator because there was a lot of bryopsis there and it was easy to see and photo the progress
20180226_210956.jpg 20180226_211421.jpg 20180227_204626.jpg 20180227_204632.jpg 20180227_204636.jpg 20180227_204645.jpg
20180227_204754.jpg 20180227_205055.jpg 20180228_130713.jpg

And here is after I started treating

20180302_204639.jpg 20180304_015333.jpg 20180304_021835.jpg 20180304_191449.jpg 20180304_193901.jpg 20180305_210743.jpg 20180305_210755.jpg 20180305_210836.jpg 20180307_171835.jpg

20180307_171838.jpg

20180307_172128.jpg

slowngreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thinking aloud...Wonder how this might help or hinder a new tank? I recently upgraded my 40b to a 90g, transfer went great but I'm wondering if I will get an algae bloom like most new tanks do. If I started dosing to prevent this, could it end up just putting off the algae bloom until a further date or would it be a good thing?

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a calculator on this site to show what dosage to use for your tank based off its measurements

http://bryopsisfluconazole.com/#dosing
These are the same dosages that I developed, in a rudimentary way, 5 years ago (2013). There was not much science behind it, I simply adapted the usual human dose for candidiasis treatment (300 mg single dose for people 50-70 kg).

Today, I myself adopt and propagate the dose that has been established here, of 20 mg / gallon or, more easily, 200 mg / 10 gallons, for being 200 mg the most usual concentration in the tablets, allowing to calculate one tablet for every 10 gallons .

That said, "minimum effective concentration" is not yet established, so that it can not only reduce the cost of treatment, but also interfere with the minimum necessary in our aquariums to bring them back to the equilibrium, but I know there are very good people working on it.

Best regards

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F9734505-A241-4BF9-881C-DF8A6E732568.jpeg
92211625-AE97-424E-A66F-CAD7417A72FC.jpeg
Gonna start my treatment tonight. Roughly 150 gallons total is 15 capsules. My one little patch of Briopsis is toasted and hopefully the GHA too. Hopefully it does not harm my Berghai Nudis that are working hard on my Aptaisa problem.

Last edited:

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this for my turf algae. It took 21 days, but it worked, at least for a few weeks. Now the turf algae has come back just like before. I'm debating whether to do this treatment again. Last time it led to STN of one of my acros - a cali tort (all others were fine). I'm thinking it was due to the rise in phosphates. What is the current thinking regarding how long to leave the skimmer off? If I try this again, how should I deal with nutrient export? Why does the ATS need to be sterilized? If I left the flow to it on, wouldn't that do the same thing? The fluco would kill whatever algae was on there, right (in essence sterilizing it)? I'm wavering on this because although the turf algae is ugly, it isn't killing my corals. The loss of the cali tort last go around was a real bummer.

Back