Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04B0A6E0-19FF-4596-920C-E934FE737462.jpeg
Guys please help identifying this algae. I started 20mg Fluconazole 2 days ago. Thanks for help. Great post!

That may be Bryopsis you have under that green slime but it's hard to tellI,it could just be GHA. It looks like you have several different forms of algae going on in there.
If its GHA it may end up taking 3-6 weeks to kill it but don't worry,just keep an eye on your no3 and po4 and if the levels rise more than you're comfortable with,perform a water change and replace the meds. Maybe @Jose Mayo can help ID what you have going on in there.

Also note that if it's GHA once it's gone you'll have to address the nutrient situation in your tank as GHA can return after you stop the treatment unless you run a continuous low dose treatment that I outlined in the first post of this thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7A6E9F90-DA2A-42A3-8BA2-B63FEEAB797C.jpeg
Bryopsis guys? It’s not stringy at all, it’s like a little bush when pulled off the rocks.

I just ordered 30 200ml pills a few minutes ago. Either way I’m tired of dealing with this stuff! Hopefully it will knock out whatever this stuff is.

We're helping you out in your other thread but you can update us here as well.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7A6E9F90-DA2A-42A3-8BA2-B63FEEAB797C.jpeg
Bryopsis guys? It’s not stringy at all, it’s like a little bush when pulled off the rocks.

I just ordered 30 200ml pills a few minutes ago. Either way I’m tired of dealing with this stuff! Hopefully it will knock out whatever this stuff is.
Images for identification should be sharper and some object of known measurement placed next to them, such as a coin or ruler, so that a better dimensioning of the specimen to be identified is possible.

The image of the first photo is very reminiscent of the species Ulva clathrata, but I can not say for sure.

ulva+clathratapedreru_6763.jpg

The Ulvaceae Family belongs to the Bryopsidales Order, has ergosterol in its cell walls and is sensitive to fluconazole, but is much more resistant than Bryopsis to treatment.

Regards

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be Bryopsis you have under that green slime but it's hard to tellI,it could just be GHA. It looks like you have several different forms of algae going on in there.
If its GHA it may end up taking 3-6 weeks to kill it but don't worry,just keep an eye on your no3 and po4 and if the levels rise more than you're comfortable with,perform a water change and replace the meds. Maybe @Jose Mayo can help ID what you have going on in there.

Also note that if it's GHA once it's gone you'll have to address the nutrient situation in your tank as GHA can return after you stop the treatment unless you run a continuous low dose treatment that I outlined in the first post of this thread.
Yeah, it also looks like Bryopsis sp, to me. There are dozens of species of Bryopsis and some are easily confused with filamentous because they do not have as many branches to form their characteristic feathers. Here are some examples:
post-20522-1306659434_thumb.jpg
post-20522-1306658896_thumb.jpg

Regards

James Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

James Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. I reduced my photo period to 4 hours + 2 hours ramp time to help with green slime portions.
I’m on day 5 with treatment and I really can’t say that I’m seeing much change. I have been imaging same spot under 20 % cool White daily. Thank you NC and the JoseMayo

morgan175

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok after 20 pages I didn’t see anything of it working on bubble algae. Can someone just give me the answer. Adding it to hopefully kill cotton candy algae. I know small chance but there is a chance.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok after 20 pages I didn’t see anything of it working on bubble algae. Can someone just give me the answer. Adding it to hopefully kill cotton candy algae. I know small chance but there is a chance.

Vibrant works on bubble algae. Took five weeks or so on my tank and I think most people said that was how long it took for them.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how long this medicine takes too start working, I dosed my tank yesterday not sure if it takes a few days??

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how long this medicine takes too start working, I dosed my tank yesterday not sure if it takes a few days??

If you're using it for Bryopsis it usually takes around 2 or 3 days to see it start turning white.GHA will take longer to start seeing results. Either way Bryopsis is a 2-3 week treatment and some forms of GHA can take as long as 4-6 weeks.

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using it for Bryopsis it usually takes around 2 or 3 days to see it start turning white.GHA will take longer to start seeing results. Either way Bryopsis is a 2-3 week treatment and some forms of GHA can take as long as 4-6 weeks.
aww ok yeah I just dosed it yesterday, no GHA in the tank

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WombatJuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I think I've got bryopsis (see below). Can someone help me confirm the ID? Also, this is a new tank, not quite 4 months post- cycle now. I'm wondering if what I'm seeing could be part of the uglies that would go away, or if this demands treatment. If I need to treat, I've heard of both the fluconazole treatment discussed here and elevated magnesium discussed elsewhere. Thoughts on advantages/disadvantages? I've got a clownfish, a cleaner shrimp, snails (nassarius, cerith, dwarf cerith, nerite) and a few coral frags (zoas and a duncan). I've also got quite a bit of cyano that I keep sucking out.

IMG_0342.JPG

I've got BRS Pukani that I only did a soak on, so I know I could have PO4 problems from that (haven't gotten a phosphate test kit yet - are the API ones fine?), and my nitrates have generally been in the 10-15 range. It's a 29 gallon with no sump, and I haven't been running a skimmer... still trying to find something in-tank that's small but effective. To combat nutrient build up, I've been doing (at least) weekly 5 gallon water changes, but maybe that's not enough. It's only on the past few that I've been digging into the sandbed and sucking up more of the junk there, so I wonder if that's part of my problem.

Ok, I just rambled on and asked a million questions, so I'll end it here - any advice?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the common practice after treatment? Would a 30 percent water change, heavy GFO And carbon running a polyfilter and UV be a food plan it should one do more? Do u notice skimmer going crazy after treatment?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question about mechanism of uptake does bryopsis absorb fluconazol via roots or the leaves? if the later would it make sense not to manually remove bryopsis befire treatment?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back