Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drizzt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180601_181043.jpg
20180601_180807.jpg

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can some one help ID type of algea
In the distance, and by the shape of the bushes, it reminds a lot of how Bryopsis presents itself, but it would be interesting to pick up some filaments and take a photo under natural light on a white plate with a little water, to facilitate identification.

Regards

Phil Joyner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After dang near 6 months fighting a complete tank takeover.....a week and a half in at 2x dose.....90% gone! Thank god.... this mess is the devil!

Lemec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished with my first cycle of this...Got some bryopsis from a frag and it went crazy in my tank. Long story short, no more bryopsis. No SPS were injured, nor zoas/palys, nor LPS. Fish were fine as well. Now we just need a simple solution to vermetid snails and I'll be a happy reefer!

holdyourlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know a source that does not have silicon dioxide as an inactive ingredient? I've seen some other posts where people have claimed that this has caused a massive diatom bloom in their tank and the same issue has happened to me each time i have dosed.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know a source that does not have silicon dioxide as an inactive ingredient? I've seen some other posts where people have claimed that this has caused a massive diatom bloom in their tank and the same issue has happened to me each time i have dosed.

I used this one but not sure if it has Silicon Dioxide or not

https://www.fishlifeantibiotics.com/collections/frontpage/products/fluconazole-200mg

I should add the bottle only lists fluconozole as sole ingredient

Last edited:

holdyourlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from bryopsisfluconazole.com . I talked to them and theirs is pure 100% fluconazole powder with no inactive ingredients/fillers like most capsules have.

Last edited:

bluewill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to try in my 40 gallon system packed with LPS, SPS ,fish, and bryopsis , and small amount of GHA . Did a 20% water change , turned off Skimmer, removed carbon, and dosed 1000 mg (5 pills on the day I left) , returned 36 hours later all Bryopsis GONE ! small clumps of GHA remaining but mostly gone.
let run its course for 2 more days, before turning back on skimmer and , Carbon reactor ( this Morning ) .Unbelievable . Im an old Reefer started in the late 80's , have battled these Algae's on and off for many years . I almost can't believe it worked . No loss or degradation of any tank Inhabitents . Definitely suggested .
Sorry no pics

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI for anyone looking, BRS is now selling Fluconazole

GlassyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m one day in and came to check the tank this morning and found one of my entire acropora colonies destroyed and my space invader pectinia to be dying quickly as well. what the heck did I do wrong?
7520AAAF-F64C-4DB1-BE04-BBD18FA36F98.jpeg
I have had this colony for many years and never had any issues and in one day the flesh completely broke away, see the pic(I know it’s bad color). They are not mesenterial Filoments it appears to be a mucus of some sort. space invader is doing the same thing. All other corals in the tank seem unaffected.
NOTE: This is the only full mariculture colony I have in the tank. It has always had small barnaclesthat lived seemingly peacefully near the base. Perhaps that had something to do with this? Just trying to mention everything.

Bio cube 32, I normally run phosguard and purigen with weekly water changes. I took these out as per Mayos recommendations prior to dosing the 600mg of Fluco (reef flux). All parameters are within their normal limits when I tested about 12 hours in yesterday :
PH 8-8.1
Po4: 0
Nh3/nh4:0
No2:0
No3:0

Any help would be appreciated, don’t want to lost anything else :(

Last edited:

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m one day in and came to check the tank this morning and found one of my entire acropora colonies destroyed and my space invader pectinia to be dying quickly as well. what the heck did I do wrong?
7520AAAF-F64C-4DB1-BE04-BBD18FA36F98.jpeg
I have had this colony for many years and never had any issues and in one day the flesh completely broke away, see the pic(I know it’s bad color). They are not mesenterial Filoments it appears to be a mucus of some sort. space invader is doing the same thing. All other corals in the tank seem unaffected.
NOTE: This is the only full mariculture colony I have in the tank. It has always had small barnaclesthat lived seemingly peacefully near the base. Perhaps that had something to do with this? Just trying to mention everything.

Bio cube 32, I normally run phosguard and purigen with weekly water changes. I took these out as per Mayos recommendations prior to dosing the 600mg of Fluco (reef flux). All parameters are within their normal limits when I tested about 12 hours in yesterday :
PH 8-8.1
Po4: 0
Nh3/nh4:0
No2:0
No3:0

Any help would be appreciated, don’t want to lost anything else :(

In general, correlation is not causality. I would not be able to pinpoint the cause of this disease that is destroying the acropora, but I also do not know other reports of acropores, of the same species, which have been affected by similar problems during the use of fluconazole.

I can not help you about this problem, nor point out possible causes, I'm just sorry that it happened to you and I hope you identify the cause and get it resolved.

Regards

GlassyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, correlation is not causality. I would not be able to pinpoint the cause of this disease that is destroying the acropora, but I also do not know other reports of acropores, of the same species, which have been affected by similar problems during the use of fluconazole.

I can not help you about this problem, nor point out possible causes, I'm just sorry that it happened to you and I hope you identify the cause and get it resolved.

Regards
Do you think I should just yank the entire colony from the tank? I mean it appears as though it’s a total loss and I don’t want its death to cause some other problems?

What about reintroducing the phosguard? I read earlier in the thread that you said to leave it in the keep parameters in line etc ; but then you later linked to an article that says it can leech the meds from the water? Thank you so much for the response and sharing of knowledge.

Best regards

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back