Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Msteven1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

Hey, having an issue as well and someone led me on to believe it might indeed be Bryopsis instead of gha. Wondering if anyone can help confirm this?

5068BEA0-F74E-4FE4-9867-08AAF29AAA5C.jpeg

75F8CA3C-4B3D-4092-B058-AB4760986022.jpeg

43504666-2023-481B-BC0F-2280E056D73D.jpeg

E8B2FDB1-2B96-4229-A756-952DEC4F948A.jpeg

C7CFDFD4-6377-4A5C-99ED-E95AC0F2DC3A.jpeg

Looks like what I "HAD" before first treatment of Flux Rx (Fluco) from Blue Life. Thought I had GHA and was treating with peroxide, then Vibrant for about 10 treatments. Realized this couldn't be GHA so another member suggested a Fluco treatment. Just took out the Chemipure elite and Purigen, turned the skimmer off for 3 days, and stopped water changes. Here are some comparison pictures. Note: Cyano is a common occurrence it seems when using Vibrant if you don't keep a close watch on nutrient levels from die off. I'm holding off on the chemiclean until I can determine if getting my PO4 down takes care of it. I'm going to do a water change this weekend and do a maintenance dose of Fluco.

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

ReefManKen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update;

Ok guys I’m going to retract a lot of the praises I had for this line of treatment. For months following the wonderful job that fluconazole did killing the bruopsis, the aftermath that continues is horrible and near enough to make one want to restart.

Few months after the treatment I’ve had a horrible bout of cyno growing all over the glass and it’s nice thick slime red nastiness on the glass daily.

Also the treatment not only destroys the bruopsis but it esectially killed a major portion of the live rock macro and micro algae. I’ve had nothing but issues with necrotic Black Death all over my my beautiful live rock since this treatment.

Granted none of my livestock died after it but it has created mayhem beyond any benefit I had killing off the bryopsis.

Has anyone else had any issue post treatment like me or am I just a rare case? It’s drivonf me nuts and it’s nearly driven me to restart and give up trying to maintain a constant and terrible battle keeping a clean and well kept tank along with trying to levelize everything steadily. Just wasn’t worth it to me and I’m pretty disappointed.

Thanks for anyone’s input I would greatly appreciate it.

ReefManKen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like what I "HAD" before first treatment of Flux Rx (Fluco) from Blue Life. Thought I had GHA and was treating with peroxide, then Vibrant for about 10 treatments. Realized this couldn't be GHA so another member suggested a Fluco treatment. Just took out the Chemipure elite and Purigen, turned the skimmer off for 3 days, and stopped water changes. Here are some comparison pictures. Note: Cyano is a common occurrence it seems when using Vibrant if you don't keep a close watch on nutrient levels from die off. I'm holding off on the chemiclean until I can determine if getting my PO4 down takes care of it. I'm going to do a water change this weekend and do a maintenance dose of Fluco.

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

That’s bryopsis algae alright.

Also check to see if you have a culurpa colony stashed in a rock or in your overflow. I’ve found tons of Vines of that on the inside vent of my overflow and on the downspout where it’s hidden.

Seems to hitch hike from Zoa colonies.

Juan Andrés Botero R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did not affect any coral, but NPS Gorgonian, is closed! I have only dose 2.7 mg/L of the 20mg intended!

Last edited:

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this was posted, I was not about to read 259 pages lol.

Can someone post some sources on where to buy Fluconazole ? It seems to be super expensive from the couple sources I found.

If anyone knows a place in Canada - even better. But USA is fine also.

ReefManKen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can someone post some sources on where to buy Fluconazole ? It seems to be super expensive from the couple sources I found.

There’s a lot of places to get it, quality and reality are questionable with some sites, be sure you’re familiar to deal with the aftermath of the treatment and the entire process before doing it. Read the tips on this thread.

I’ve had huge issues after being totally convinced it did the job to only have it come back with a vengence. That and cyno is a problem too.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update of my experience using fluconazole for bryopsis:
My tank was pretty thoroughly covered in byropsis. I dosed according the recommendation on the first page of this thread. After 2 weeks all bryopsis was gone! I turned on my skimmer but waited one more week before doing a large water change and turning on a GAC reactor. By the end of that third week I did notice my Chaetomorpha culture was beginning to die off a little (has since rebounded fine) - not a problem.

One thing I want to point out is that a few pages back I read a couple people writing that their corals died if fragged around/during the time of flucon treatment. I fragged a lot corals a couple days before dosing flucon and some of them RTN'd during the period, so I agree that fragging around/during flucon treatment should probably be avoided.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try BRS. :)

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first page the capsules look like a human pack and not the fluconazole on BRS, maybe packaging has just changed over time, but does everyone pretty much recommend the one on BRS or are there any other recommended sources?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first page the capsules look like a human pack and not the fluconazole on BRS, maybe packaging has just changed over time, but does everyone pretty much recommend the one on BRS or are there any other recommended sources?

I found my pharmacy had it.

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from BRS and it has worked WONDERS!!!!! NO Bryopsis in sight anymore

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the originally posted places and type of fluconazole 200 mg capsules. I have used other for fish versions on other tanks and I found that the ones from Payless pet products was the best in my experience. http://payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html I am in no way affiliated with them in case anyone is wondering.

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the originally posted places and type of fluconazole 200 mg capsules. I have used other for fish versions on other tanks and I found that the ones from Payless pet products was the best in my experience. http://payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html I am in no way affiliated with them in case anyone is wondering.

My phosphates are high, like 5ppm. I only have zoas, GSP, and a hammer coral in there right now with some inverts. I planned to start running a remover as soon as I figure out which one to order, there's 3 different Seachem products and I don't know which to use. Will I be able to run that while this medicine is in my system?

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My before and after. Sorry I did get my camera lenses until after I started
bd02d0998ba4679f0883b38e1d7a2f74.jpg
b5112d8ca4821ae022c5da5761a215e4.jpg

Back