Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My meds arrived at my local post office this morning. Most likely they will be delivered tomorrow. I'm ready. Will do a water change today and dose Vibrant as I've been doing. Looking forward to the fungus meds dealing the final blow. Will post pictures later.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My meds arrived at my local post office this morning. Most likely they will be delivered tomorrow. I'm ready. Will do a water change today and dose Vibrant as I've been doing. Looking forward to the fungus meds dealing the final blow. Will post pictures later.

Sounds good. Get ready to be Bryopsis free!! :)

jelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try this but still nervous that it may have side effects that haven't been seen yet. How long has this method been around for. How did this method come about.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now at day 10 of the treatment the final two strands of Bryopsis are completely white. It's hard to see in the pic but they are all but gone. I consider this treatment a success. Hopefully the Bryopsis will never return. If the roots are dead they won't.If the roots are lingering until the level of Fluconazole in our system drops low enough,it may.Only time will tell.

Day 10 of treatment...
Day1020of20treatment_zps8edzv8zw.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try this but still nervous that it may have side effects that haven't been seen yet. How long has this method been around for. How did this method come about.

So far, around four months since the first treatment as best we can tell. We don't know how or who the first one to try this was. We can only assume it came about from someone treating their fish for some type of infection (since Fluconazole can be used to treat fish) and it killed the Bryopsis it had in their tank.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Added a little to the title and made this a sticky.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at your first frag shot and your last. Look at the algae in the background and how it goes away! ;)

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at your first frag shot and your last. Look at the algae in the background and how it goes away! ;)

Yeah the other hair algae in my tank has started to turn white over the last couple of days and seems to be thinning out. It would not hurt my feelings if it were to melt away like the Bryopsis did. I'm keeping an eye on it.

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now at day 10 of the treatment the final two strands of Bryopsis are completely white. It's hard to see in the pic but they are all but gone. I consider this treatment a success. Hopefully the Bryopsis will never return. If the roots are dead they won't.If the roots are lingering until the level of Fluconazole in our system drops low enough,it may.Only time will tell.

Day 10 of treatment...

It's beautiful.
(wipes tear from eye)

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell in the photos but I've noticed several things over the last couple of days in both tanks. The bryopsis is not growing upright anymore. It has begun to lay flat and is losing the fern like structure. It has also started looking more stringy. It basically resembles a fern plant that hasn't received enough water and is declining by the day. That's probably the best description I can give for what I'm seeing. I've also noticed in my nano tank in one of the photos that you can see that it is loosing color as well. In person the change in both tanks is much more noticeable.
I've measured phosphates with 2 different kits from the start and haven't seen much of a rise. Same thing with nitrates. Other than feeding fish, checking and adjusting main water parameters and topping things off nothing has been changed. My violet leds were the only lights running at the time I took these photos today, so colors in the pics may look a little different the 2 previous days.
Chaeto is still holding up for now as well. So we'll wait another 24 hours. My confidence is beginning to grow.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Day 10 of treatment...
It's still hard to believe what things looked like in the photo from 10 days ago til now. I'm looking forward to seeing the same results. I hope everyone else gets there as well with long term results.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 52 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back