Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bad case of bryopsis and on day 6 of initial ReefFlux use. It took 4 days till I could see the bryopsis start turning white.
My plan is to do a total of 3 back to back doses with a 10% water change between each (no carbon during process).

If this does not work, a restart it is...

Also, those who Voted for "I love bryopsis," can you please reveal yourself and explain who, what, when and why??

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Round 3 -

Completed two full dose rounds, but the bryopsis continues to come back. Guess, 14 day treatment just hasn't been enought to really get the 'roots' of bryopsis.

This time went with half dosage, byopsis has disintegrated. If you know where to look, you can see 1/8" stalks in a few of the denses patches.

Since I have not been collecting my skimmate (Skimmer running, but overflowing back into sump) for almost 14 day, I plan to collect skimmate for 36 hours (nutrient export), and re-dose half dosage for another 14 days without collecting skimmate. That will be a 28 day treatment and see what the 1/8" stalks look like at that point in time.

Hopefully, 28 days will erradicate it from the system. If not, I'm prepared to do another 14 day for a 42 day treatment.
My last 2 treatments have been at half dosage and for 28 to 30 days, a month after I put carbon in it returned, I noticed it on February 28th, haven’t treated again yet not really growing to fast this time and kinda waiting to see if it pops up in other places. Please update in the future if you succeed.

Mark_4880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 hours in, I don't see anything yet.

Can anyone confirm if what I have is bryopsis?
20190320_204457.jpg

20190320_204444.jpg

20190320_204437.jpg

Mark_4880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4th day in, it's starting to get lighter and fish are eating it now!!! Makes me happy to see that, but I have some dinos starting to appear in my sump now and cyano on the sandbed.

ImGoingCoastal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 days after 1.5 dose of fluxanole. I am going to declare it a miracle cure. I didn't have thick algae but it was everywhere. No skimmer, no water changes, nothing. Matter of factly, I actually spotted my first patch or Coraline growing on the glass AFTER dosing. No media, not filtration.... Just Fluxanole.
3d7f3c4fc7b4720b4ec951ad6bbd9124.jpg
bdcb967e00807b5cc6952805dbbeb2f0.jpg

fondoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys think its a good idea to add ARC Reef Pink Fusion Coralline Algae in a bottle during the Fluconazole treatment??

fondoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys think its a good idea to add ARC Reef Pink Fusion Coralline Algae in a bottle during the Fluconazole treatment??

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 days after 1.5 dose of fluxanole. I am going to declare it a miracle cure. I didn't have thick algae but it was everywhere. No skimmer, no water changes, nothing. Matter of factly, I actually spotted my first patch or Coraline growing on the glass AFTER dosing. No media, not filtration.... Just Fluxanole.
3d7f3c4fc7b4720b4ec951ad6bbd9124.jpg
bdcb967e00807b5cc6952805dbbeb2f0.jpg
It works but it’s not a miracle cure, mines come back 3 times. After removal of meds. But atleast it eliminates it quickly and for a while and no corals suffer in my experience.

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it kept gha out of my tank for a year and a half. in december i put carbon and gfo in my system for first time since dosing (18 months) and i got a gha algae bloom at the end of february. i just dosed fluconazole for the 2nd time. gonna wipe it out.

Last edited:

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works but it’s not a miracle cure, mines come back 3 times. After removal of meds. But atleast it eliminates it quickly and for a while and no corals suffer in my experience.

Agree.

I dosed two times. Came back a few months later in the same spots on rock. I didn’t have a bad case of bryopsis. This round I’ve done a half dose for 13 days. 10% water change and re-dosed half dose amount for another planned 14 day treatment.

Paying close attention to the persistent spots on rock. I still see a trace of bryopsis stalks. I.e. 1/8”. Hoping these patches disappear completely

I plan on doing another half dose for a total treatment of 43 days. While I am running my skimmer (aeration purposes). It’s dumping back into the sump. Day 17 nitrates running .02-.05 per salifert. Removed GFO and phosphate finally ticked up .01. See where I sit at the end of 43 days.

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 days in and Bryopsis is gone. Some cyano but corals are doing well.

13 x 200mg ReefFlux in my 130g.

0FCB772C-DABA-4F38-BCFB-A367963BD8DB.jpeg

B090E72A-3FE5-409E-B20F-36CDC0845AD1.jpeg

Not gone, but starting to melt away. If you removed the fluconazole from the sytem, those visiable threads will most likely grow back.

I've been posting my progress of my 3rd attempt to truely eradicate bryopsis patches. I'm going 42 days at half dose. While it's a little stressful to have no carbon or true skimming going on that long, everything seems to be just fine on DAY 18.

I was running zero nitrates and zero phosphates. I removed GFO, I'm just starting to detect nitrates .02/.05 and phosphates might be .01.

Plan is to allow this full 42 day half dose fluconazole treatment to procede with 10% water changes every 14 days.

In one persistent bryopsis spot, i can still see about a half dozen 1/8" in stalks of bryopsis. Hoping they melt away too. I'll keep reporting back.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gone, but starting to melt away. If you removed the fluconazole from the sytem, those visiable threads will most likely grow back.

I've been posting my progress of my 3rd attempt to truely eradicate bryopsis patches. I'm going 42 days at half dose. While it's a little stressful to have no carbon or true skimming going on that long, everything seems to be just fine on DAY 18.

I was running zero nitrates and zero phosphates. I removed GFO, I'm just starting to detect nitrates .02/.05 and phosphates might be .01.

Plan is to allow this full 42 day half dose fluconazole treatment to procede with 10% water changes every 14 days.

In one persistent bryopsis spot, i can still see about a half dozen 1/8" in stalks of bryopsis. Hoping they melt away too. I'll keep reporting back.
You can skim, last 2 times I’ve treated I put the skimmer back online the next day after dosing, after a month I add in gac and that does remove the med, then a month later I start to see the bryopsys popping back up.

mnml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the feedback. It will be 14 days this coming Sunday. I do noticed less left over stalks each day. Do you think I should do the 30% recommeded water change at the end of the 14 day treatment?

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can skim, last 2 times I’ve treated I put the skimmer back online the next day after dosing, after a month I add in gac and that does remove the med, then a month later I start to see the bryopsys popping back up.

"I start to see the bryopsis popping back up"

That's what I'm trying to not happen, thus, I'm not skimming the meds out out of my system prematurely. Trying to keep as much active fluconazole in the system for a longer duration, to hopefully kill
Thanks for the feedback. It will be 14 days this coming Sunday. I do noticed less left over stalks each day. Do you think I should do the 30% recommeded water change at the end of the 14 day treatment?

I'm not sure I can recommend, but I'm just sharing my experience. I followed the protocol at the beginning of this thread twice. While it appeared that the bryopsis was eliminated, it's grown back twice in the same exact spot I was trying to eliminate. Therefore, I have to conclude that I didn't go long enough to kill it all. I'm at 19 days today, I can still see a few stalks of green in the nuisance spot. I'm not re-introducing carbon or skimming until I see that spot is gone. I've done two half doses with one 10% water change in the middle. I'm not sure of the half life of fluconazole in the marine water but I can't believe I'm running anymore than 'full strength' with a second half dose and 10% water change.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its gotta have deep roots in the rock that dont die off I figure, even after 2, 30 day treatments I've done the last 2 times. It comes back in exactly the same spots minus a few. I've been watching it come back since late February, and I'm probably gonna start another treatment in a couple weeks, and for longer this time.

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its gotta have deep roots in the rock that dont die off I figure, even after 2, 30 day treatments I've done the last 2 times. It comes back in exactly the same spots minus a few. I've been watching it come back since late February, and I'm probably gonna start another treatment in a couple weeks, and for longer this time.

Thanks for this information. I have a sneaky suspicion I'll be in the same exact boat after what I'm doing this time around. I at least know that half dosage does remove 99% of the bryopsis stalk. Maybe it's worth saving some cash by going half, even 1/4 dosage rates to see what keeps it at bay.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only tried the half dosage on my 2nd treatment because the 1st time I did it with the full dosage and for 2 weeks as suggested I noticed changes (not good changes) in some of my acroporas some stn, no polyp extension in ones that had 24/7 polyps out and a few I had to frag to save. So I experimented with the half dosage and it worked just as quickly and kept it in for a month, closely monitoring my acros and they had no ill effects. Then I removed the med with carbon and a month later it started coming back, then did it again and it worked great on the bryopsys and no ill effects on corals but a month after adding carbon it was back. I think this time I’m gonna keep it in there for atleast a couple months as long as the corals don’t show any issues.

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to show that after 2 full days of treatment,my tanks inhabitants are still happy and doing their thing..

IMG_3226_zpsp3crdv0w.jpg

Corals still have good PE....

IMG_3238_zpspvugjfx0.jpg

As best that I can tell I see no signs of stress on anything in the tank.
What is the snail posted in the second photo on page 1?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back