Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did everything survive?
Thx for asking: hellfire torch and orange hammer are all but dead. 99% retracted for the past several weeks.

Happily though the flame hawk is back to his jovial self. The clowns never lost a beat.

Still have some bryopsis it appears as I removed the overdose pretty quickly with water changes and carbon. Won’t be redosing fluconazole anytime soon .

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go all in or try something else. Lettuce nudi's maybe.
Giving it a try. Don’t have a lot of bryopsis but enough to keep this guy busy for a while. If he happens to eat it all (fingers crossed) will take back to LFS so he doesn’t starve. A little spendy at $35 compared to online prices but nice to not have one that I can take back if need be.
9E78B177-2985-4981-8A12-BE7F24BDEDB5.jpeg

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving it a try. Don’t have a lot of bryopsis but enough to keep this guy busy for a while. If he happens to eat it all (fingers crossed) will take back to LFS so he doesn’t starve. A little spendy at $35 compared to online prices but nice to not have one that I can take back if need

Giving it a try. Don’t have a lot of bryopsis but enough to keep this guy busy for a while. If he happens to eat it all (fingers crossed) will take back to LFS so he doesn’t starve. A little spendy at $35 compared to online prices but nice to not have one that I can take back if need be.
9E78B177-2985-4981-8A12-BE7F24BDEDB5.jpeg

Good choice!!!

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sir I am an American.
I don't have patience.
Any other questions?

Just kidding, they are not eating them fast enough, some of my corals are being smothered.

I would just get some more. Add some other cleaners such as turbos and emeralds. Manually remove some. Will take some work but you can avoid causing permanent damage to your tank with flucanazole.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get some more. Add some other cleaners such as turbos and emeralds. Manually remove some. Will take some work but you can avoid causing permanent damage to your tank with flucanazole.

not a bad idea. what do you mean perm damage? crabs = no no in my DT.
Ive used it twice in the past with no ill effects.

Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SPS tank, roughly about 25 different pieces. Bryopsis came in on my live rock and slowly started spreading over the tank. Tried tons of CUC including nudis with no luck, it was just too wide spread.

Pulled the trigger on Thursday last week and dosed FLUX RX. So far all my SPS look completely normal, the bryopsis is slowly just fading away. Crossing my fingers.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SPS tank, roughly about 25 different pieces. Bryopsis came in on my live rock and slowly started spreading over the tank. Tried tons of CUC including nudis with no luck, it was just too wide spread.

Pulled the trigger on Thursday last week and dosed FLUX RX. So far all my SPS look completely normal, the bryopsis is slowly just fading away. Crossing my fingers.
With bryopsis, you really have no other choice short of starting over. I would never risk SPS with fluconazole for any other algae type. Glad it worked out for you. Go buy a few lottery tickets :)

Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With bryopsis, you really have no other choice short of starting over. I would never risk SPS with fluconazole for any other algae type. Glad it worked out for you. Go buy a few lottery tickets :)

Yep, I tried the mag dosing for a couple weeks as well with no luck. Basically tried everything I could and finally just said welp here we go. So far so good, I would say 75% of the bryopsis is already gone. A few thick patches still hanging on but I plan to try and pull those out today.

All SPS look unaffected, full polyp extension etc.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I tried the mag dosing for a couple weeks as well with no luck. Basically tried everything I could and finally just said welp here we go. So far so good, I would say 75% of the bryopsis is already gone. A few thick patches still hanging on but I plan to try and pull those out today.

All SPS look unaffected, full polyp extension etc.
Make sure those remaining patches are getting full light. The fluc only works during heavy photosynthetic activity. Full PE is an awesome sign. Some folks report a drop in alkalinity consumption.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual remover. Stiff brush. Bryopsis is easy to get rid of. Remove its nutrient source. Brush off the algae than turkey baste all the debris in the cracks of the rocks which becomes the soil. Do this every three days and it will go

View Badges
Finished the treatment a week ago, I used reef flux rx, it worked really well, and I didn’t notice any side effects apart from cyano . I have some Macroalgae in my DT and they both survived, in fact they actually helped my keep my nutrients down during the 2 weeks without a water change...

I’ve noticed a few people mention cyano as a side effect, defo the case for me, nothing crazy though

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well gave the Lettuce slug a go and while it did eat some it is a losing battle. Put an order in for Blue Life Reef Flux. Fingers crossed SPS will make it. Have several patches of Bryopsis that are only getting bigger.

Ive read various things... can someone point me in the right direction?

UV - Can this continue to run or should it be shut down?

Skimmer - left on but low to produce no skim mate but to help keep PH up. This is ok to do?

Water changes - I normally do AWC - 3 gal /day on a 240 gal system. I stop this for two weeks then do a 30% correct?

Everything else continue the same while watching Alkalinity and other parameters.

Thanks in advance

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well gave the Lettuce slug a go and while it did eat some it is a losing battle. Put an order in for Blue Life Reef Flux. Fingers crossed SPS will make it. Have several patches of Bryopsis that are only getting bigger.

Ive read various things... can someone point me in the right direction?

UV - Can this continue to run or should it be shut down?

Skimmer - left on but low to produce no skim mate but to help keep PH up. This is ok to do?

Water changes - I normally do AWC - 3 gal /day on a 240 gal system. I stop this for two weeks then do a 30% correct?

Everything else continue the same while watching Alkalinity and other parameters.

Thanks in advance
That is a pretty good list. If you have valuable acropora and want to be safe, I would have that water and some carbon ready to go on day 1 just in case you get a severe adverse reaction. It is not common, I have not figured out when/why it sometimes happens, but the risk is real and severe for acropora.

I don't know the answer on UV, sorry.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty good list. If you have valuable acropora and want to be safe, I would have that water and some carbon ready to go on day 1 just in case you get a severe adverse reaction. It is not common, I have not figured out when/why it sometimes happens, but the risk is real and severe for acropora.

I don't know the answer on UV, sorry.

Ugh. Would rather inject myself with a hypodermic needle that washed up on the jersey shore than put flucanazole anywhere near an Acro ever again.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh. Would rather inject myself with a hypodermic needle that washed up on the jersey shore than put flucanazole anywhere near an Acro ever again.
Well I feel the same way towards the bryopsis slowly spreading in my tank. I have a lot of Acros (most are still smaller frags) but not sure what else to do.

anyone with advice on water changes during reef flux dosing?

advice on using UV durning?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back