Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying not to get overly excited just yet but after 3 days I am starting to see a change in the Bryopsis. Everyone who has tried this saw their Bryopsis start to turn white after a few days or so and then thin out and die. My Bryopsis is definitely starting to turn white. Also there are still no signs of stress on my fish,corals or inverts. This is looking very promising so far.

Day 3 of treatment.
Day20320of20treatment_zpsyl1a99o5.jpg
What a beautiful sight.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also following this. I've been battling a bryopsis invasion for more than a year that has completely sucked the joy out of my tank and made me not want to show it to anyone. Been treating with Vibrant since September or October... at first, it looked like it was going to be promising, but then it just kind of plateued. Then, I moved. Finally, it looks like the bryopsis might be dying back... but if it comes back, you better believe I'll be ordering up some Fluco if this works.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also following this. I've been battling a bryopsis invasion for more than a year that has completely sucked the joy out of my tank and made me not want to show it to anyone. Been treating with Vibrant since September or October... at first, it looked like it was going to be promising, but then it just kind of plateued. Then, I moved. Finally, it looks like the bryopsis might be dying back... but if it comes back, you better believe I'll be ordering up some Fluco if this works.

Bryopsis has taken the joy out of reefing from many people through the years. I can remember way back when raised mag levels helped some but not others and they just quit all together and sold off everything. People were trying any and everything they could think of and still couldn't beat it. I know some people broke everything down and started over only to have it return on them because they missed cleaning something good enough. If this works there will a lot of people ordering it.

We'll see how mine looks when the lights come back on for day 4. Hopefully more bleached out and thinning out.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What effect does Fluconazole have on cheato and caulerpa? If it breaks the cell wall of algae, I guessing it will wipe out a ATS or sump full of cheato.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What effect does Fluconazole have on cheato and caulerpa? If it breaks the cell wall of algae, I guessing it will wipe out a ATS or sump full of cheato.

I had my refugium off-line before dosing due to changing some things around in my system so I can't speak as to how your macro algae will react. I can tell you though that Fluconazole has not had any impact on a couple of other nuisance algae in my tank like hair/turf green algae. If I were running an ATS,I would probably take it off line though just in case.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very little hair algae in my tanks. I run cheato and caulerpa in my sumps. That is why I am so concerned. Please tell me this stuff kills bubble algae. MY 50G reef has always had a problem with that crap.

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very little hair algae in my tanks. I run cheato and caulerpa in my sumps. That is why I am so concerned. Please tell me this stuff kills bubble algae. MY 50G reef has always had a problem with that crap.
I don't know about bubble algae, but Vibrant eliminated all of my bubble algae in about 6 weeks dosing 2x week at 1ml/10gal and I had quite a bit

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So far as of 4 days in to the treatment,Bryopsis seams to be the only algae that is dying off. Trust me though,Bryopsis was our target on this one. Most other algaes can be dealt with by clean up crews,better nutrient exporting or manual removal. Bryopsis usually survives no matter what you do.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. How about the rest of the tank? Does it look like this everywhere?

I only had a few areas of Bryopsis but this one was the easiest of them to get a photo of. The other areas I would need a top down box to get a good shot.(not that any of my photos are actually good lol). But the other spots are dying off as well. This is looking more and more promising each day. Out of all the other people that has used Fluconazole,I haven't heard not one time that it didn't work for them.I just figured with my luck that I would be the first one that it didn't work for.

Last edited:

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been watching your thread from the start. The bryopsis is definitely subsiding. Every day you post a new photo I can see the decline from each previous one. Bryopsis has been a pain for me for over a year now and until this thread I've just come to the conclusion that eradication is hopeless. I've been in the hobby for 14 years and never understood the decline of others tanks from bryopsis until last year.
I'm hoping that fluconazole will be the breakthrough we've been looking for. I'm rooting for your success and looking forward to trying it in my tanks as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back