Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been watching your thread from the start. The bryopsis is definitely subsiding. Every day you post a new photo I can see the decline from each previous one. Bryopsis has been a pain for me for over a year now and until this thread I've just come to the conclusion that eradication is hopeless. I've been in the hobby for 14 years and never understood the decline of others tanks from bryopsis until last year.
I'm hoping that fluconazole will be the breakthrough we've been looking for. I'm rooting for your success and looking forward to trying it in my tanks as well.

Sorry you're having to deal with this stuff as well.What I've never understood is how some things have worked for some but not others. Some say they have different fish or inverts that take theirs out but others no luck at all. I did finally clear my tank of it years ago but like I said it took soooo long and sooo many gallons of tech m and cleaning and scrubbing.

Since starting this treatment now each morning I can't wait until the lights come on just to see the progress. I only wish that I would have had some macro algae in my system to able to tell everyone how it would react. I would say though that even if you had to toss out your macro,that would be a small price to pay and well worth the trade off in my opinion.I'll post another pic tomorrow after the lights come back on and hopefully the progress continues.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where are you guys buying the medication at ?? also any info on the exact product being used in this thread also...
I can only find the tablets but want the capsules like that are used in this thread,,,help

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is where I ordered mine. I have a 400g sps and a 75g mixed that are linked through a common sump. I dosed 9800 mg tonight in hopes to eliminate this bryopsis once and for all.

I hope it works for you. It hasn't killed it completely for me yet but things are really looking good.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen that it can take up to 2 weeks, so this is just another exercise in patience. :) I appreciate your sharing of your experience.

Yeah I'm not a very patient guy in general myself so it's been a lesson for me lol. I'm glad that I could share this and hopefully Bryopsis will end up being something that we don't have to worry about any longer. I swear this still seams too good to be true though so I'm not uncrossing my fingers just yet.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed my order. I ordered the 20 200mg capsules from payless pet products. I'll be treating 2 tanks, 70g with 40g sump/fuge and a 29 biocube. I'll show before photos once meds come in and daily updates as well.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I know he will probably be worried since you said he has a ton invested in his tank but I swear that I see no change in anything in my tank except the Bryopsis.
Oh hes not worryed one bit, second he gets home its going right in. Im the one worryed for him haha! But great stuff man, im excited for you. Cant wait to see how it turns out in a few days from now.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What effect does Fluconazole have on cheato and caulerpa? If it breaks the cell wall of algae, I guessing it will wipe out a ATS or sump full of cheato.
Also just to answer any future questions, my friend used a couple macros i can list when he pushes through the treatment. Has cheato, a few types of calerpa and some reds =)

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just to answer any future questions, my friend used a couple macros i can list when he pushes through the treatment. Has cheato, a few types of calerpa and some reds =)

Yeah that would be great. A lot of people want to know how it's going to affect their macros.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the lights came on today, there were small pieces of white dead Bryopsis blowing around in the tank. It has begun to break apart and thin out now 5 days in to the treatment. :)

Day 5 of treatment....
Day520of20treatment_zpsbmaa0wjk.jpg

On a side note (you'll notice to the far left) no hydroids were harmed during this treatment. :rolleyes: :D

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back