Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to order some more. I'm at day 14 and have roots still. Ill give it a few more days before anything else. I ran my skimmer after the first dose and then turned it off sense then. I may have pulled some out not dissolved yet so I have added the rest in sense then. not sure about the strength in there now but it has worked. may skim for a few days then add a full dose in again to knock out the roots. Ill wait until day 20 before dosing again. going to turn on the skimmer in a few minutes.

on a sad note now I see a bunch of bubble algae. Time to get a new crew up in there. MY crew has dwindled over time to hardly nothing. I could use that vibrant stuff but wouldn't natural be better.
Yeah, I'm going to wait and see what happens with the cleanup crew first before doing a second treatment. It'll be here on Thursday so that gives it the weekend to decide if I needed or not.

I have what looks like spirulina showing up or it maybe green cyanobacteria but I don't think so because the fish eat it if I scrape it off. Also underneath the bryopsis I found traces a red Turf algae. Hopefully my new Mexican turbos will take care of that [emoji12]

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome that is what I wanted to hear. I was wondering if you some some post on another forum that I may of missed. I am going to experiment with GFO online. I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the info NCRG!

Yeah evidently this treatment was discovered by someone in Brazil or somewhere overseas around 3-4 years ago. Through translations it was determined that everything was removed at the time of treatment. Some people have continued their daily/weekly routines as normal during treatment and still had success while others has had slightly different results. Taking everything offline while running the treatment is just more or less a baseline of what we have done. I'm just glad that there is finally something we can do to get rid of this invasive mess. Let us know how your treatment goes.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to know why GFO must be take offline? I understand taking carbon/skimming offline because of the method to export meds; However, I thought that the whole point of GFO is to bind phosphates, which is probably released back into water when the algae is dying. Can someone chime in on how Fluconazole and GFO interact? I would like to bind and export the residual phosphates during treatment if possible if the two do not interact/bind. Thanks in advance.

-Mutt
For the first week I had my gfo offline. My phosphates did rise by day 8 quite a bit and I turned it back on which lowered and brought them under control. I agree that gfo doesn't need to be turned off after experiencing how this stuff works. Carbon doesn't soak up this medication from studies in Switzerland where they tried to remove it from lakes with carbon. So I also don't feel that needs to be offline either. I do agree that the protein skimmers need to be either shut down or lowered and the cup removed because he will remove the medication. The dieing process in my tank slowed when I turned the skimmer back on or it could just be coincidental timing that the algae had already soaked up all there was in the water column by that point.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 14 days in my 9 gallon nano the bryopsis is gone.

In my 45 gallon after 14 days the bryopsis is also gone and most of the GHA is gone. I waited a couple additional days and decided to do a 2nd dose for the GHA just to eliminate the couple of areas that were still holding on.

Overall I'm thrilled with how well this worked in both of my tanks. I also let my local SW club in on the Fluconazole, with a link to this thread and a link to the place to buy it. So more people besides everyone here impacting the purchase.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to report I have gotten rid of all of my bryopsis with diflucan. It wasn't bad to begin with...I had a few patches but nothing smothering the coral or anything. I had previously used vibrant as directed and spot cleaned with H2O2. My system is a mixed reef but one that struggles with ULN and I feed heavy--daily to get NO3 to exist.

I kept everything the same, gfo, cheato reactor, ats and skimmer all running normally and did a 10% water change on day 8 (I usually do 10% a week anyway.)

ATS was fine
skimmer skimmed normally
I'm still at a ULNS.
The only thing that's kind of growing more is some red gracillia on the rocks from maricultured pieces that I plan to get a grazing fish to pick at.

That's good to hear that you ran your system as usual and still had success.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so payless pets is limiting orders to only 20 capsules because we are ordering it all from them. lol this is great. they don't know what's up yet. maybe we can get a group buy from them when they order a new shipment and save some money.

Hey at least they want everyone to get some so they are limiting the orders.
its what is when you have a larger tank....
You could get somebody else to order the difference that you need that lives near you ;)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 14 days in my 9 gallon nano the bryopsis is gone.

In my 45 gallon after 14 days the bryopsis is also gone and most of the GHA is gone. I waited a couple additional days and decided to do a 2nd dose for the GHA just to eliminate the couple of areas that were still holding on.

Overall I'm thrilled with how well this worked in both of my tanks. I also let my local SW club in on the Fluconazole, with a link to this thread and a link to the place to buy it. So more people besides everyone here impacting the purchase.
That's true and it's showing up in fb group pages...

tonymacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Fluconazole intended for humans be used?
Not 100% sure but I think some over here in the UK purchased online through a chemist, I am just wandering though if they are beginning to think that there is a massive outbreak of thrush because sales must be going through the roof fpmsl:D

tonymacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to check I have my dosage correct, I have 220ltrs so if I dose 1200mg then thats equivelent to about 5.5mg per ltr?

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7. I just got home from work... I broke into my happy dance. Could it really be true?
20170214_185950.jpg
20170214_190001.jpg
20170214_190011.jpg

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 ....

Nitrates 0 (I started NOPOX last night in anticipation)
Phosphates 0.075 up from 0.015 (normal) so I will dose lanthanum chloride for a couple day.

P2140002.JPG
P2140003.JPG

Sump pic, looks lighter to me :)

P2140004.JPG

pH up from normal 8.35 to 8.39 ( dkH still steady at 9.3)

After the first 24 hours, I noticed a lot more "stuff" in my usually clear water, so started up the skimmer. Today it's gone crazy and is pulling out actual bryopsis ferns :D

P2140007.JPG

No bad effects on any livestock, including bubble tip anemone. I have notice a slight brown dusting/stringyness to some substrate, white is normally all clean, maybe a few diatoms or some cyno/dino with the lower NO3 and higher PO4.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 ....

Nitrates 0 (I started NOPOX last night in anticipation)
Phosphates 0.075 up from 0.015 (normal) so I will dose lanthanum chloride for a couple day.

P2140002.JPG
P2140003.JPG

Sump pic, looks lighter to me :)

P2140004.JPG

pH up from normal 8.35 to 8.39 ( dkH still steady at 9.3)

After the first 24 hours, I noticed a lot more "stuff" in my usually clear water, so started up the skimmer. Today it's gone crazy and is pulling out actual bryopsis ferns :D

P2140007.JPG

No bad effects on any livestock, including bubble tip anemone. I have notice a slight brown dusting/stringyness to some substrate, white is normally all clean, maybe a few diatoms or some cyno/dino with the lower NO3 and higher PO4.

It is beginning to break down now! :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back