Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a screenshot of the section on skimming during treatment from a thread by @NCreefguy on r2r. Apparently from what I've researched, the skimmer removes the meds and possibly makes the treatment less effective. I was not willing to take that chance so I just kept my skimmer off for the first 2 weeks. Imho, I saw no negative effects. If anything, the corals looked better from the extra nutrients I would guess.
Screenshot_20190519-062440.jpeg

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a problem with Bryopsis, had it before Xmas and it was rampant in the tank. Used Reef Flux and it cleared most of it up.
However I was ill just after Xmas and spent a long time in hospital and recovering. When I got to clean the tank out I found a tiny clump on the side of a frag and stupidly just plucked it off. It's now grown back with a vengeance and covers the back walls and sides of the tank.
I was unable to get Reef Flux again so bought Flux RX, followed instructions but it's been over 8 weeks and it's not killing it.
My Nitrates and Phosphates are 0 and always have been so havnt a clue how this stuff is growing so fast.

Attached pre Xmas photo.

Anyone successfully used Flux RX? I have some more Reef Flux being delivered shortly.

20180909_131407.jpg

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read the full 274 pages of this thread, but I have a few questions

Has anyone run this for much longer than 3 weeks? I don't know if it would be needed, but would it hurt anything to run for say 6-8 weeks if needed?

The original post mentioned running 5-20% long term. Has anyone tried this? and if so, can you use your skimmer normally?

Whats the best way to remove the released nutrients from treatment if the skimmer can't be used?

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've left my skimmer cup off for a bit longer, started the Reef Flux on Saturday and put cup back on today. Fish and corals and anemones are all looking fine, a couple of the snails looking a bit like they can't be bothered though.
I did a 35% water change Saturday and started the Reef Flux, supposed to have still had Flux RX in the system prior to this but it did nothing for 8 weeks

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've left my dosage in for 3 months, no carbon, no skimmer, no water change and corals/fish were fine.

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohh boy, i have read all pages:)) Still cant get a final conclusion in regards of the bad effect on SPS. Mixed reviews here.. My tank is 99% SPS with few LPS ,just cant make up my mind.. Maybe some one with full SPS tank can help me decide :))

Thank you ,

Mike

BradNTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I’ve been fighting algae for a good while now, and decided to try the fluconazole method. Not sure what exact type of algae I have, but it grows 2 - 3” long and green, so maybe it’s GHA? Whether it’s bryopsis or GHA, I’m leaving the meds in for 4 weeks. I have an 80 gallon display, so put 2,000 mg of fluconazole from Thomas labs. They were in pill form, so I crushed them and added them to a cup full of tank water. I put a small pump in the cup and let it run 5 minutes to mix it well. I’m very curious to see how this stuff works.

Bayinaung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1.5x the recommended dose first time. it didn't start working till 3rd week. did 20% water change but added 20% of my original dosage and ran it for 2 more weeks, so 5 weeks in total. it seemingly died down. but from the darkened blemish spots where bryopsis died, they came back. So I'm doing the dosing again. in the third week of treatment, bryopsis is growing in new spots. This is getting to be insane.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used 1.5x the recommended dose first time. it didn't start working till 3rd week. did 20% water change but added 20% of my original dosage and ran it for 2 more weeks, so 5 weeks in total. it seemingly died down. but from the darkened blemish spots where bryopsis died, they came back. So I'm doing the dosing again. in the third week of treatment, bryopsis is growing in new spots. This is getting to be insane.
Are you positive it's bryopsis? Are you skimming during treatment?

nadzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone used fluconazole with red hair algae. i have been battling this for a couple of months now and this would be my last resort. could anyone please key in and advise if it would help. i have attached 2 photos for reference.

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am in need of entitlement. Why do we turn off the ATS when treating? Won't the water going through ATS carry Flucanazole and kill bryo cells?

Question for reefers that took ATS offline for the treatment. ATS takes 6 weeks to fully seed after, combined with 2-3 weeks of Flucanazole treatment, that's 9 weeks without ATS. What did you do in systems that heavily depend on ATS for nutrient export.

YeezyReef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladies and gentlemen, I’m a firm believer in this product ! Reef Flux has completely evaporated any high amount of Bryopsis in my tank. In 2 weeks this completely eradicated any form for bryopsis.

As all may know, this does not work on slime or hair algae. As in the process green slime did grow and film algea on glass.

I’m happy to say I will be doing 1 more run of reef flux just to make sure all bryopsis babies ! Are dead and will no longer grow with vengeance.

Bayinaung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you positive it's bryopsis? Are you skimming during treatment?

Yes. Bought frags from a local fragger who was battling it. I never had it. I couldn't see it in his tank, so I shrugged it off. Mistake. For months and months it was just a small patch on a rock. It just looked like moss and kinda cute so I left it as is. After about two months of dosing nitrogen it suddenly took off. It was everywhere. I dosed fluco, above recommended strength. I started seeing impact only into 2nd week. I did stop skimming as it causes skimmer to be over-excited. stopped carbon too.

Now when it comes back, its usually on the same rocks and same places it used to grow on. And right on top of coraline algae.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back