Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

solo9t9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H

Hello
will this kill Chlorodesmis (maidens hair algae).
Fluconazole or vibrant cheers

IMG_20190615_153148.jpg

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had fluconazole kill a fish? My Moorish idol that I've had for approx. 9 months suddenly appeared dead today. He has otherwise appeared healthy. He was definitely eating yesterday afternoon, his color looked great, he was active and swimming normally and briskly. Everything that goes into the tank goes through quarantine (TTM +prazi +metro or a 60+ day invert quarantine). I haven't changed anything other than dosing fluconazole (4000mg total guesstimated 20mg/gal Reef Flux though might be slightly higher than 20 depending on actual water volume which is a Red Sea 750 that has a total volume of 200g and a co-plumbed 25g lagoon) Friday afternoon and a 50g water change with my normal Red Sea blue bucket before the fluconazole. Yet here we are mid Sat and the idol was sucked up against the powerhead dead. Other fish look fine, corals look fine. It just came as a huge shock as he has looked super healthy and eats great then bam.... Any other thoughts then? I wondered if maybe this was unusual enough of a fish that people hadn't tested one.

Other parameters:
SG: 1.026 (calibrated refractometer)
pH: 8.26 (Apex probe)
Alk: 8.0 (Hannah)
Phos: 0.03 (Hannah)
Ammonia: 0 (API, yes, I know. I won't buy more when it's empty)
Nitrate: 0 or super close to it (API)
Ca: 350 (Red Sea, lower than I'd anticipated)
Mg: 1120 (Red Sea)

Last edited:

YeezyReef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I will start by saying sorry for your lost. But I highly doubt fluc had anything to do with the fish death. First error you are making is testing with API specially after 9 months. That’s only a test while you cycle test kit and should be put away after the cycle is complete. I will recommend testing with salifert and because you are not able to do any water change while treating with fluc and you saying the fish was eating fine. I will think amonia spiked and might be the issue. Test with a better test kit first to see the real issue here.

With all that said, no fluc does not affect fish.
Has anyone ever had fluconazole kill a fish? My Moorish idol that I've had for approx. 9 months suddenly appeared dead today. He has otherwise appeared healthy. He was definitely eating yesterday afternoon, his color looked great, he was active and swimming normally and briskly. Everything that goes into the tank goes through quarantine (TTM +prazi +metro or a 60+ day invert quarantine). I haven't changed anything other than dosing fluconazole (4000mg total guesstimated 20mg/gal Reef Flux though might be slightly higher than 20 depending on actual water volume which is a Red Sea 750 that has a total volume of 200g and a co-plumbed 25g lagoon) Friday afternoon and a 50g water change with my normal Red Sea blue bucket before the fluconazole. Yet here we are mid Sat and the idol was sucked up against the powerhead dead. Other fish look fine, corals look fine. It just came as a huge shock as he has looked super healthy and eats great then bam.... Any other thoughts then? I wondered if maybe this was unusual enough of a fish that people hadn't tested one.

Other parameters:
SG: 1.026 (calibrated refractometer)
pH: 8.26 (Apex probe)
Alk: 8.0 (Hannah)
Phos: 0.03 (Hannah)
Ammonia: 0 (API, yes, I know. I won't buy more when it's empty)
Nitrate: 0 or super close to it (API)
Ca: 350 (Red Sea, lower than I'd anticipated)
Mg: 1120 (Red Sea)

Paulsheehan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the 1st treatment it was in alot of areas but I would just RIP it out. Then I started contemplating the fluconazole treatment and one day decided to do it and within 9 days I could not find any it worked quick, that time i followed the exact directions the OP posted. Then a month after it started showing up again, so I changed to half the dose and only turned off the skimmer for a day and it was gone just as quick as the 1st time. Though this time I left it in for 28 days. The third treatment I did the same as the 2nd one but left it in for 38 days. It took roughly a month before it grew enough in a couple spots before I noticed it yesterday. Gonna start treatment #4 in a couple weeks probably the same way as the last 2 and leave it in for maybe 2 months this time cuz it does seem to not come back in all the same places when it is back. I have alot of corals and fish and haven't seen any negative effects on them the last 2 treatments. Hope that answered your question.
Thank you I'll keep at it

3dvice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm now 4 months post fluconazole treatment and still no bryopsis :) I kept my skimmer off for the first few days and the mexican turbos and algae blenny started going to town on it after about 2 weeks when it started to die off.

smc03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed fluconazole 3 days ago in my tank. I know its only been 3 days, but I havent seen much of an impact yet. My tank is 45 gallons, but i put 4 pills worth of Reef Flux not wanting to over do it trying to measure half a pill. Should I go ahead and put another full pill in or continue waiting it out longer?

Also, 3 days in - although I havent seen much happening yet - should I go ahead and turn my skimmer on or wait till I start to see some changes?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dosed fluconazole 3 days ago in my tank. I know its only been 3 days, but I havent seen much of an impact yet. My tank is 45 gallons, but i put 4 pills worth of Reef Flux not wanting to over do it trying to measure half a pill. Should I go ahead and put another full pill in or continue waiting it out longer?

Also, 3 days in - although I havent seen much happening yet - should I go ahead and turn my skimmer on or wait till I start to see some changes?
It may be too soon to see anything yet

AG Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i want to give a try to fluconzale since i m gutting lots of algae in frag tank and long hair algae in main tank.
here 1 tablet is 150mg. my tank volume is 350litre. so i will need around 11 tablets to treat my tank.
Should i go will all 11 tablets or go little lower like 7/8 tablets?

78e8b84f8e2d55c6d43222117e5a61a3.jpg c9dc82599fb33066b0c61749610d3f69.jpg

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would go with a lower dose than recommended and keep it in there for longer. I've had to do it a few times went with the full dose the 1st time and my sps acros didnt like it, so the next few times I went with half the recommended dose and it was just as effective. Since I dont see any corals react negatively at the lower dose i keep it in for a month. It's been 4 m ok months since i removed the meds from the last treatment and i just noticed the bryopsys starting up again in a couple spots pop up. Will probably start another treatment soon.

AG Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just dosed 7 tabs, instead of 12.
Gonna update with some before after pics
Today Day 1
IMG_20190815_102134.jpg
IMG_20190815_102108.jpg
IMG_20190815_102056.jpg
IMG_20190815_102040.jpg
IMG_20190815_190221.jpg

AG Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Day 3: Can really see the algae turning white. Seems like its working very well

IMG_20190818_215008.jpg
IMG_20190818_215004.jpg

Joao junior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, i put fluconazole only once ?? turn off skimmer for how long ?? can i do water change ??

Bertbreaksnecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m currently a week into a Fluconazole treatment and can see the Bryopsis dying, can I scrape the dying algae off my glass? I’m assuming with the treatment in the water it wouldn’t be able to reattach and regrow anywhere?? Just get sucked into to filter which I currently only have ceramic and phosgaurd in...

higorc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, has anyone used Red Sea NOPOX while treating with Fluconazole to keep the Nitrates down? Just wondering if there's any negative side effects.

Thanks

Ric365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Algae gone
Finally i am happy again .
IMG_20190823_104154.jpg
IMG_20190823_104205.jpg

well happy to see your tank has clean again.. But since you do a treatment are you give 7tabs in every single day or does it only one shoot medication?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well happy to see your tank has clean again.. But since you do a treatment are you give 7tabs in every single day or does it only one shoot medication?
It is one shot

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back