Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 8000mg into 400 gallons. It killed the bryopsis and GHA. Now to get it out.
It also killed the Ulva and a few others and stunted the chaeto growth. It did not seem to bother the red macros.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for all the reef flux hd users.

I dosed 12 pills in my water box 130. Cut pills open dumped in tank water in a cup and mixed. I poured in sump where my overflow goes in so chunks can be dissolved over time in a sock if they didn't dissolve when poured. I left skimmer on but turned it down. Didn't see any change. I opened the drain tube so skimmer drains back into the tank. Day 2 I noticed skimmer is getting a dry foam in cup. Still have the drain open so it drains back into the tank. I dosed I believe Sunday night. I haven't noticed any improvement yet. Not to my eyes. Also dosing vibrant. I'm just wondering when I should start to see any change. Bryopsis as of now isn't even white yet.

Am I still on track? Nutrients haven't changed yet. Still good with no3 at 12 and po4 changing but around .03

joaocdestro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for all the reef flux hd users.

I dosed 12 pills in my water box 130. Cut pills open dumped in tank water in a cup and mixed. I poured in sump where my overflow goes in so chunks can be dissolved over time in a sock if they didn't dissolve when poured. I left skimmer on but turned it down. Didn't see any change. I opened the drain tube so skimmer drains back into the tank. Day 2 I noticed skimmer is getting a dry foam in cup. Still have the drain open so it drains back into the tank. I dosed I believe Sunday night. I haven't noticed any improvement yet. Not to my eyes. Also dosing vibrant. I'm just wondering when I should start to see any change. Bryopsis as of now isn't even white yet.

Am I still on track? Nutrients haven't changed yet. Still good with no3 at 12 and po4 changing but around .03
I turned my skimmer off for the first days... and all Bryopsis disapeared in 6-10 days. if you have green hair i recommend a 2nd dose on around day 14. It is very important a lot of light... more light = more algae kill with fluconazole.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer has been running but not collecting since Sunday. When can I plug the drain up and skim normally?? Im starting to see bryopsis turn white in areas. Nan's red cyano on sand. Probably from vibrant. New snails are slowly kicking the bucket I'm assuming cause it's not hair it's bryopsis,. If all bryopsis gone I think rock would be spotless

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is on day 8 of reef flux hd. It's working. But not sure if 21 days will be enough. If it continues this pace it will but if it fades effectiveness through 21 days it won't be gone.

I have snails dying. Left and right. But it could be simply starving. Only bryopsis in tank. And now little red cyano from this and vibrant. I'm assuming since they don't eat bryopsis, my tank is clean other than that. So a guess they are just dying

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow is day 14 on reef flux. My skimmer is getting gunk out. And changing sock every day. It has greatly improved but I still see bryopsis that is white and GHA or byropsis that is green. No way it will be vanished by end. Question is do I do a large wc on day 21 and redose for another 21 days. Or skip the wc and just redose and do another 21 days without a wc????

Magman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanx from Greece for your extended research!!!

I am starting treatment today for Bryopsis. My tank runs 60 days now

reef2.jpg

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a Bryopsis problem as described in the following thread. I took the leap and dosed Flux RX. 24 hour later, I'm getting tissue loss on the base of a small WD frag. I have another WD frag from another source that seems to be doing fine. Some other sps have retracted their polyps while others still have good polyp extension. I have lps and mushrooms that seem to be doing fine.

I'm bummed about the WD as it was starting to get really good coloration and was looking really healthy.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow is day 14 on reef flux. My skimmer is getting gunk out. And changing sock every day. It has greatly improved but I still see bryopsis that is white and GHA or byropsis that is green. No way it will be vanished by end. Question is do I do a large wc on day 21 and redose for another 21 days. Or skip the wc and just redose and do another 21 days without a wc????

You can do a WC, and then just replace the amount (proportion) that was displaced by the WC. This fungicide does not really "go away" without WCs.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a WC, and then just replace the amount (proportion) that was displaced by the WC. This fungicide does not really "go away" without WCs.
thanks for the update.. i actually thought i had cyano going with this treamtent and vibrant.. found out its coolia dinos so the second dose of fluconazole is now on hold while i figure out how to beat these things..

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a Bryopsis problem as described in the following thread. I took the leap and dosed Flux RX. 24 hour later, I'm getting tissue loss on the base of a small WD frag. I have another WD frag from another source that seems to be doing fine. Some other sps have retracted their polyps while others still have good polyp extension. I have lps and mushrooms that seem to be doing fine.

I'm bummed about the WD as it was starting to get really good coloration and was looking really healthy.

Day 4 and casualties so far are a total of 7 sps frags. I certainly would not call Flucanozole reef safe, though some of us don't have another option.

Also, all my snails are flipped over. Not dead yet but it doesn't look good. Haven't seen my cucumbers since I started dosing. Almost starting to get concerned about rising toxin levels but am hesitant to run carbon and start over.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back