Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i got scared. If they didn't move for a day or 2. I tossed them in garden. I didn't want a bunch to rot. I out the ones that flipped or frozen in one area. And watched. If they didn't move. Bye bye. Especially as my no3 went up to 16+

Bryopsis worked. But I need another dose. But vibrant gave me Dino's so before I do another dose of flucon. I gotta beat Dino's first.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started fluconazole for the early treatment of increasing bryopsis. The weird thing is I have lots of fluconazole in the medicine cabinet as my wife was taking this every day for 1 year for a rare lung disease.

SaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had excellent results with fluconazole after i had a tank crash a couple years ago that caused a whole bunch of algae problems. Would definitely recommend to fight hair algae or bryopsis

Magman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again,

I am on day 8 and bryopsis vanished!! Can I start WC or it is too soon?

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Payless pet product fish fluc check it out I think op was using this

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added less than 200 mg/per 10 gallons.
Day 1- Things that are looking bad: looks like one my my Acro colonies is toast.rest of the colonies have retracted polyps almost immediately after I dosed flucanizole inthe tank. So far the treament is working great at killing off those pesky Acros.

Things that are still alive, Tuxedo and Halloween urchins, maxi mini, rock flower and an inferno anemone, Derasa, Squamosa and fish.

Things I did wrong: 1) I did not fully mix the powder in the capsules, so when I dumped the mix into the tank, clumps might have fell onto the sps. I did use the turkey baster to make sure nothing settled on any of my acros. I should have dumped it into the sump. Nitrates might be too low due to pre-existing bryopsis forest. Alkalinity dropped to 6.5. Prior to dosing however, the PE was good. I should have dosed flucanizole into the sump.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added less than 200 mg/per 10 gallons.
Day 1- Things that are looking bad: looks like one my my Acro colonies is toast.rest of the colonies have retracted polyps almost immediately after I dosed flucanizole inthe tank. So far the treament is working great at killing off those pesky Acros.

Things that are still alive, Tuxedo and Halloween urchins, maxi mini, rock flower and an inferno anemone, Derasa, Squamosa and fish.

Things I did wrong: 1) I did not fully mix the powder in the capsules, so when I dumped the mix into the tank, clumps might have fell onto the sps. I did use the turkey baster to make sure nothing settled on any of my acros. I should have dumped it into the sump. Nitrates might be too low due to pre-existing bryopsis forest. Alkalinity dropped to 6.5. Prior to dosing however, the PE was good. I should have dosed flucanizole into the sump.
Hopefully the other acros pull through! I would keep a strong eye on Alk and nutrients throughout for them.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on this?

I was dosing Vibrant fr Bryopsis, only knocked it back, didnt deal with it. Indirectly caused a Cyano issue.

Cyano i had dosed Chemclean. Got ride of 85 percent of it, but still showing on sand bed.

If I dose Reefflux for my Bryopsis issue, will it help maybe with the Cyano? Will it have any effect in making it worse?

I really want to get this Bryopsis under control now, before it gets any worse.

I'm either going to run another dose of Chemclean or I'm going to dose Reefflux for Bryopsis.

Thoughts on anyone's experiences would be appreciated.

#reefsquad thoughts?

Last edited:

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has been answered... but it's kinda hard to find reef flux or fish fluconazole in this area. Can I use diflucan for humans in the tank instead?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you can use this while fighting dinos, im currently dealing with both.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon approx Gallons. added supposely 1400 mg of fluc from payless pet fish meds , give or take , at today of 4/16/2020 at 1 Pm

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bumping this here.

Can any of you chime in, in your experience, if using human grade fluconazole is ok?
I really want to be as sure as possible before doing something like this.

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 and casualties so far are a total of 7 sps frags. I certainly would not call Flucanozole reef safe, though some of us don't have another option.

Also, all my snails are flipped over. Not dead yet but it doesn't look good. Haven't seen my cucumbers since I started dosing. Almost starting to get concerned about rising toxin levels but am hesitant to run carbon and start over.

One more update. More casualties to add to the list. In total I've lost the following
2 WD Frags
1 Pickachu
1 Red Planet
2 Rainbow Yumas
1 2GC mini colony
Almost all my snails

More and more sps corals started looking bad so I decided to pull the plug and added the activated carbon. Within 24 hours, I'm seeing some polyp extension back on a few and the snails that were still alive are no longer on their backs.

Whether it is the actual drug or toxins that may have been released, I think it's the responsible thing to do for the OP to post that some have reported losses. I should have read the thread in more details more but I did spend some time and missed this fact.

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently on day 11 of treatment for bryopsis and haven’t seen any change at all. Dosed 800mg for a 40 gallon tank. Algae hasn’t faded in color or lessened in amount of my tank. Mixed as directed and follow directions regarding skimmer and such. Not sure what’s going on. Going to do WC at the two week point and dose again hopefully with better results. Everything in the tank has pulled through fine. Initially all corals closed and were irritated but by day three were fine.

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on day 11 of a reef flux treatment for bryopsis and have had no change at all. If anything, it has gotten thicker in areas. There has been no fading of color or die off from what I can tell. I have noticed that the rock has speckled as is consistent with videos that I’ve seen when researching its use. I dosed 800mg for a 40 gallon volume. I don’t run any media so there was nothing to remove. I also turned my skimmer off for the first 4 days. I’m going to do the water change in a few days and redoes to see if a second round will help. Not sure if it’s connected by I’m not seeing dark brown granules and spots through my sand bed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.0%
Back