Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

KayKaytn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started Floconazole treatment yesterday, and I was an idiot today and decided it was time to sort out the green star polyp that was taking over my rock work. This resulted in the GSP terpenoid compounds (I think that's what they are called) and that really upset a bunch of my corals and my BTA. So I added Chemi-Pure back to help clean up the water again. So now I assume this has removed the medication from my tank too. Is my assumption correct and if so, can I add the full dosage back again after I remove the Chemi-Pure? Thanks!

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pleased to say that i completed my 3 weeks treatment with great success . have not lost any fish or corals, Bryopsis are gone- hopefully for good.
Did 20% water change and added some carbon...

Thank you guys for all recommendations !!!!

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pleased to say that i completed my 3 weeks treatment with great success . have not lost any fish or corals, Bryopsis are gone- hopefully for good.
Did 20% water change and added some carbon...

Thank you guys for all recommendations !!!!
Gonna add to this aswell, i completed the 3 weeks and the tank is completely clean of bryopsis and GHA which to my surprise died off fast ( not as fast as bryopsis though). Only slight issue i have now is that the dinos are creeping up on the sandbed again even though my phosphates have stayed over 0.05. My guess is that me doing a 20% water changed added something that they like to the tank. So no more water changes for me.... for now.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 16hrs after dosing and I can say that nobody in my tank has noticed yet. SPS, LPS, softies, anemone are all out like normal doing their thing. My CUC is unaffected, not a single snail got upset. I have probably 50 baby dwarf ceriths (some only a few mm long) and another 25-50 other snails all are fine. Cheato and calupera are so far unaffected as well.

I took the appropriate number of pills, emptied them into some warm RODI water with 1/2 teaspoon of vodka to hopefully make the flucon more soluble in the water and dumped the mixture into a sock in my sump. Folks who are experiencing livestock losses after this must either have inadvertently mixed too high of a dosage, received a contaminated batch of flucon, applied it too close to their livestock or introduced other contaminants into their system some how.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, check this out. I added the fluconazole Monday night, its now wednesday night.

IMG_7915.jpg

IMG_7916.jpg

Sorry for the windex

Its just disappearing, not turning white and floating away, its just slowly disintegrating. There are some tall stalks that seem to be doing just fine, but I suspect they'll soon meet the same fate.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is magic.

I cant get over how amazingly this has worked, my tank is 98% free of bryopsis after 5 days. I still have a few persistent stalks here and there, but they are on their way out. Its taking longer to neutralize the stuff in the sump, but I'm sure thats coming as well. Granted I didnt have a huge infestation, I jumped on it early so your millage may very but oh man.

With that all said, we dont know alot about how this affects the wider world, and as with any medication, pesticide, fertilizer, etc we should always use it sparingly, after all, we dont want it all coming out of our tap after we put our water change water down the drain.

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I can’t believe how effective fluconazole is.

On the 3rd day, you can already see half of the bryopsis is gone. Then the 5th day, you have to look hard to find some. I wish I took a before and after pics. I had a bad infestation.

I’m so glad I found this thread. I’m a happy camper!

BTW, there are no single livestock lost, other than the bryopsis. (And bubble algae is gone too)

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been 3 weeks since i fi iahed tbe fluconazole treatment and after a couple of water chages my skimmer is still overflowing is this normal? Cant continue to do water changes as thats just making my dinos worse. ROX 0.8 carbon doesnt seem to be helping much either.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread hoping to get guidance for Sunday.

Been a long two month dino battle. Finally don't see any. I added a uv in my display on Monday and it cleaned out the ostreopsis visually.the next morning. But I want to run it all the way for a full week. That being said, I have bryopsis I'd I wanna tackle the bushes of bryopsis next. The question. Turning off my carbon. And skimmer for a week or so is fine do I have to turn my uv off?? Or does it work just fine with UV running to keep it zapping any dinos left?

I dosed flucon last Saturday. And 2 days ostreopsis came back hard so I aborted the flucon. Dropped carbon back in and ran skimmer and added the uv

So UV during treatment or off? It's going to be risky business lolol

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it recommended to take your ATS offline while dosing Flucanozole?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been 3 weeks since i fi iahed tbe fluconazole treatment and after a couple of water chages my skimmer is still overflowing is this normal? Cant continue to do water changes as thats just making my dinos worse. ROX 0.8 carbon doesnt seem to be helping much either.

That has not been my experience, has it finally calmed down now? I would probably first pull it out and and give it a cleaning to make sure there isnt any restriction on the pump or airline. Are you doing any sort of organic carbon (vinegar, vodka?)

Old thread hoping to get guidance for Sunday.

Been a long two month dino battle. Finally don't see any. I added a uv in my display on Monday and it cleaned out the ostreopsis visually.the next morning. But I want to run it all the way for a full week. That being said, I have bryopsis I'd I wanna tackle the bushes of bryopsis next. The question. Turning off my carbon. And skimmer for a week or so is fine do I have to turn my uv off?? Or does it work just fine with UV running to keep it zapping any dinos left?

I dosed flucon last Saturday. And 2 days ostreopsis came back hard so I aborted the flucon. Dropped carbon back in and ran skimmer and added the uv

So UV during treatment or off? It's going to be risky business lolol

Question: normally we see dinos in tanks that are so low in nutrients the dinos can out compete the algaes, do you have bryopsis AND dinos? I I'm not positive on the UV affecting the medication specifically but I personally would go the other direction. Treat the bryopsis first as you may see the dinos appear again after the algae is gone.

Unrelated, there seems to be a correlation between some UV setups and high antimony, seems to be leeching from the impeller shafts or other areas. There isnt a known issue with antimony in reef tanks but with the proliferation of ICP testing we're seeing it alot more.

You dont need a specific brand of anything, but I would be weary of that product only because they dont list any other active ingredients on the website, given that products intended usage I wouldnt be surprised if there were other components that might not be as desirable in your water. I'm guessing you are in Canada? Check with BRS, see if they'll ship this to you.

Why is it recommended to take your ATS offline while dosing Flucanozole?

Two reasons:
1. You'll see most of the algae die off, that could increase the nutrients in your tank to an undesirable level.
2. The efficacy of this treatment is light dependent, the is a possibility that without completely cleaning the ATS it will still contain bryopsis that can "reinfect" the tank.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has not been my experience, has it finally calmed down now? I would probably first pull it out and and give it a cleaning to make sure there isnt any restriction on the pump or airline. Are you doing any sort of organic carbon (vinegar, vodka?)

Question: normally we see dinos in tanks that are so low in nutrients the dinos can out compete the algaes, do you have bryopsis AND dinos? I I'm not positive on the UV affecting the medication specifically but I personally would go the other direction. Treat the bryopsis first as you may see the dinos appear again after the algae is gone.

Unrelated, there seems to be a correlation between some UV setups and high antimony, seems to be leeching from the impeller shafts or other areas. There isnt a known issue with antimony in reef tanks but with the proliferation of ICP testing we're seeing it alot more.

You dont need a specific brand of anything, but I would be weary of that product only because they dont list any other active ingredients on the website, given that products intended usage I wouldnt be surprised if there were other components that might not be as desirable in your water. I'm guessing you are in Canada? Check with BRS, see if they'll ship this to you.

Two reasons:
1. You'll see most of the algae die off, that could increase the nutrients in your tank to an undesirable level.
2. The efficacy of this treatment is light dependent, the is a possibility that without completely cleaning the ATS it will still contain bryopsis that can "reinfect" the tank.
No the only thing i dose is b ionic 2 part. The skimmer did calm down after i raised it 6 inches for a week. Then slowly dropped it back down. Now its perfectly fine

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
working well here. day 10. only thing i lost was my nerite snails. the one time they didn't climb outa the tank.. had 6, and all 6 died on day 5.. all else has been fine. Wish this would attack the red turf algae...

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HMM.... 3 weeks later after tank being clean and i notice small patches with Bryopsys growing again..GRRRRR

Did you guys run a second treatment?

Guilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there have already been changes, you are likely to be able to eliminate them, and it is only a matter of time.

Regards
The way the pharmaceutical form is made ("modus faciendi", in technical jargon), is extremely important in its pharmacokinetics (how it dissolves, distributes and acts). A formulation of fluconazole can fulfill its purpose for human or veterinary medical use and, even then, does not obtain good results in the environment of an aquarium, for algae control.

Aspects such as micronization (particle size) and the excipients employed for the tablet composition can severely influence its solubility and availability for the desired goals.

The ideal, whenever possible, is to obtain the medicine of origins and brands already known and proven in their effects, so that the good results can be reproduced. Apart from this, it is a kind of "bet", in which it is not uncommon to lose.

Regards
Hello Jose.
I am from Brazil also and need to contact you, but do not know how
regards

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have read through this thread and if I'm understanding it right it's 20mg per gallon one of dose remove skimmer cup for 15 to 21 days then water change and back to normal tank maintenance .its just I have had bryopsis for a long time and would like it gone from my system .

Last edited:

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi don't no if anyone is still viewing this post i see it says take ato offline and sanatise it ,my ato is in a separate 5g tank in a different area from my main dt and sump so would I still have to take it offline for the duration of the treatment any feedback would be mutch appreciated thank you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back