Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a treatment for gha, dosing once a week for three weeks at full strength each dose

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a treatment for gha, dosing once a week for three weeks at full strength each dose
Aren't you an acro keeper? There is some risk in this. While the odds are in your favor, there is a significant risk for acropora getting wiped. In the case of bryopsis, you don't have many options. But GHA can be managed in other, safer, ways. Keep us posted.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't you an acro keeper? There is some risk in this. While the odds are in your favor, there is a significant risk for acropora getting wiped. In the case of bryopsis, you don't have many options. But GHA can be managed in other, safer, ways. Keep us posted.

This is in a fish only 180 aquarium ;)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree this is too much dosing. Dose 200mg x 10g only and only once. Be sure that you have PLENTY of trochus and Mexican turbos to eat it including the roots. This is key. The fluconazole only removes the outer nasty coating on HA and makes it edible (the reason nothing likes to eat it). You can run carbon and should run Gfo while treating. No skimmer. This is the most effective and safest way to treat with fluconazole. I have found that the HA only returns if you haven't found the root cause and rectified it and/or don't have enough snail population. My 180 was packed with acros and many other types of coral and livestock and it effected none. They looked happier actually.

*fluconazole doesn't treat every type of HA (there are many) and rarely treats bryopsis.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree this is too much dosing. Dose 200mg x 10g only and only once. Be sure that you have PLENTY of trochus and Mexican turbos to eat it including the roots. This is key. The fluconazole only removes the outer nasty coating on HA and makes it edible (the reason nothing likes to eat it). You can run carbon and should run Gfo while treating. No skimmer. This is the most effective and safest way to treat with fluconazole. I have found that the HA only returns if you haven't found the root cause and rectified it and/or don't have enough snail population. My 180 was packed with acros and many other types of coral and livestock and it effected none. They looked happier actually.

*fluconazole doesn't treat every type of HA (there are many) and rarely treats bryopsis.

Ya lots of misinformation here.

Many reports of heavy dosing for gha, 4x single dose for bubble algae ect.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya lots of misinformation here.

Many reports of heavy dosing for gha, 4x single dose for bubble algae ect.
I had written gha in ververse of bryopsis you are correct... sorry. I should've previewed what I wrote and stayed away from the turkey yesterday .. I did the first video documentation with my tank for this thread so I do know better.

I lost my tank about 3 months after Due to a long power outage causing coral warfare overnight. Since then I gave up on my tank but am now trying to bring it back. It has EVERY undesirable in it unfortunately including bryopsis, dinos, bubble and feilds of aiptasia. I treated the tank with fluconazole and it is doing very little. But from what I can tell it is because I don't have enough snails. They are difficult to find enough of at one time right now for a tank of my size. The aiptasia is nearly gone thanks to the berghia. Below is then and now.
20170116_153859.jpg

20200918_155102.jpg

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had written gha in ververse of bryopsis you are correct... sorry. I should've previewed what I wrote and stayed away from the turkey yesterday .. I did the first video documentation with my tank for this thread so I do know better.

I lost my tank about 3 months after Due to a long power outage causing coral warfare overnight. Since then I gave up on my tank but am now trying to bring it back. It has EVERY undesirable in it unfortunately including bryopsis, dinos, bubble and feilds of aiptasia. I treated the tank with fluconazole and it is doing very little. But from what I can tell it is because I don't have enough snails. They are difficult to find enough of at one time right now for a tank of my size. The aiptasia is nearly gone thanks to the berghia. Below is then and now.
20170116_153859.jpg

20200918_155102.jpg

WOW I'm really sorry about your tank, was beautiful. It will be again just a (big) bump in the road!

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having used fluconazole twice at different strengths ( 6 mg/L and 8 mg/L), I have come to the conclusion that the medication is effective is killing the algae, but its efficacy is questionable when it comes to killing its roots embedded in live rock or other surfaces. On both occasions, algae came back ( 1 year after the first treatment and 3 mo the after the second treatment) in exactly the same spots. I am not alone. Two other reefer have had the same experience.

For this reason, I will only use this medication only as a temporary measure in the future.
Frustrating. It seems others have it gone permanently though (?). Maybe it's the difference in the type of rocks in the tank (and the bry is therefore on?.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW I'm really sorry about your tank, was beautiful. It will be again just a (big) bump in the road!
Thank you Lol yes a really big bump. I was depressed for so long and only fed the fish... couldn't decide whether to tear it down or try to save it. I have just recently decided I'd try to save it after 3 years of neglect. I am truly amazed anything at all is alive! The kenya and leather are actually thriving so I am trying to remove them as they will be a nuisance (already are). Red monticap is growing back from what looked like complete death. Maybe some others will too.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frustrating. It seems others have it gone permanently though (?). Maybe it's the difference in the type of rocks in the tank (and the bry is therefore on?.
Mine was gone permanently and it killed a small patch of turf algae too. In the past 6 months (keep in mind I've ignored the tank for 3 years) I started seeing bubble algae and it was clogging the overflows. I began vibrant as it's known to work on bubble. Not only did it not work and the situation worsened, there is now turf growing like crazy and dinoflagellates after doing vibrant. I then chose to stop vibrant and dosed fluconazole. Yes it began to whiten and what snails I could get my hands on are eating it but it didn't touch the ba. I added several emerald crabs and they are helping the ba except by the overflows. I'm thinking the turf algae isn't showing better improvement because there isn't enough snails to eat it before it grows back. I could be wrong but that's how it looks to be.

Everyone's tanks are different. Unless you made your own LR and the rock came from another tank in the past that once had these issues that could be the cause but you'll likely never know. I made all of my LR for that reason. It can also be introduced via frag plugs or even on some coral.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20170116_153859.jpg

20200918_155102.jpg
Really sorry to hear this you had a beautiful tank and no doubt you'll make it that way again.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20170116_153859.jpg

20200918_155102.jpg
hugs for your loss! You can bring it back. I'm in the same boat, but I didn't lose a lot like you! Keep us posted!

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I poured in my reef flux last night and I forgot to remove a bag of carbon.
Do I need to redo my dose?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed mine early early early sat am. It's now Tues. I scrubbed 80% of the Bry off (outside the tank -- its poisonous! lol :-D ). rinsed well all scrubbed rocks. I didnt scrub off some patches. There were some sprigs left on the scrubbed rocks. None turned white or pale. Today most of those sprigs are just gone. I think they must have turned white overnight and my smooth shell mex turbos ate the sprigs before I saw them turn white. Others mentioned they see the bry turn white and die over time.

***The patches of rock that I didnt scrub look exactly the same as before. Same bryopsis patches same dark green. But they are also in shaded light. I guess I'll scrub them clean tonight. But my concern is that any bryopsis cells in dim light will survive, thus reinfecting the tank later. And I'm sure really all tanks that have bry will have at least some in dim light. So, will even the very dim areas get irradicated after a few weeks as long as I leave the carbon out?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found a neon goby with ich- is it a bad idea it be dosing ich medication with reed flux?

There is no such thing as ich medication, if the bottle has Ich in the name through it away.

Copper and CP are the only “ich meds” and they are usually not a good idea for dt but can be done. No issues with flux

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back