Bryopsis. Flux rx and chaeto?

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I've got bryopsis growing in my tank and today I have some flux rx (fluconazole?) arriving in the mail box.

I'm not really sure what to do with the chaeto in my refugium. Some people say leave it in the system, since if I pull it out before the treatment and then put it back afterwards I might just re-introduce the bryopsis (hiding in the chaeto) in the system again. This seems logical to me.
But when reading about flux rx it says to pull the macro algae out before starting the treatment. What I've read about others treating with fluconazole they've left chaeto in without problems, but is Flux rx something else, which will affect chaeto as well??

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto stayed alive when I dosed blue life flux rex for the purpose of getting rid of hair algae in my refugium.

You either need to keep it in or throw it all out.

steven m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed reef flux with my cheato still in the system and it didn’t look affected after the treatment. I’m curious to know what results you had with the flux rx

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time my chaeto survived, the second time it died, IIRC. Either way I suggest you remove the chaeto and just get bryopsis free chaeto from somewhere else to be sure. Otherwise you can just chance it, what's the worst that could happen? I guess a nutrient spike leading to more algae but you can always do water changes if the chaeto dies off.

OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed reef flux with my cheato still in the system and it didn’t look affected after the treatment. I’m curious to know what results you had with the flux rx

Thanks for everyones input!

I started the treatment on February 17th and by now no visible bryopsis.

I took the middle road and removed about 90% of my chaeto. The remaining little ball was unaffected by the flux rx and is now growing day by day. Will probably take a few more weeks for it to retain its previous glory and size

Luckily no apparent downside (yet) due to the treatment, apart from a 20% decline in kh consumption. Almost back to normal business, 10% less from pre treatment.
Also an 100% increase in no3/Po4, now 10/0.08 ppm.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back