Bryopsis & Green Hair Algae Flux RX results!!

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been pulling some out but man it takes forever.
I hear you... I went out and bought some 30 dollar curved spring shears (to make it easier on me) because it's so difficult, it's like giving someone a hair cut that's got a wall of glass around their head and you have to stand over them. It was too hard on my fingers and arms to use straight scissors in the tank, but honestly I am so thankful that the fluconazole worked so far because this algae is a nightmare.

yOdaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for high jacking this thread but will reef rx kill cheato as well? Getting ready to dump some in my biocube. TIA

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried Vibrant but I don’t see great reviews on it for GHA,, smaller tanks seem to be better suited for these treatments they seem to get better results
We tried vibrant dosing for 7 weeks with little results. Dropped some reef flux into the last weekend some of the GHA on one rocks is graying and dying. The GHA that's living with our clove is not dying... feel like we have some type of super strain of GHA on that rocks.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ii dosed flux rx. Wiped bryopsis in 4 days. GHA still there. I dosed another round. In process of removing my sand to help. But Wednesday will day 14. I guess I'll have to redose another dose of flux rx on Wednesday. I'm also using vibrant at the same time. GHA still strong. Its killing me.

Everytime my po4 spikes to like .03 or more. I use phos rx to keep it .01. So I make sure to pull out any po4 that goes into the water column to prevent gha from retaking it. But it's still going strong.

Well see if next full dose at day 14 (this Wednesday). Works. If not. I have no idea what to do. This been a 4 month battle. Maybe longer

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. I'm gonna redose Wednesday for another 14 days. And hope for the best. And continue vibrant at same time. Removing the sand tank looks better because GHA was on sand. But we'll see.

Hair algae will take up to a month before it dies, I’d be careful with overdosing it. The only people I knew who had issues in the original thread had overdosed it. I just stuck it out 6 weeks without changing water to make sure it was gone and stayed gone. I believe if my memory serves me correctly it took well over two weeks for my bryopsis to completely disappear and I had some hair algae that looked unaffected for 4 weeks before it started to die. If you’ve done any water changes during the treatment it seems to allow the algae to get a hold back on the system.

It worked fantastically for me, my tank has been bryopsis free for several years now, good luck.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GHA died and was gone. It came back about a month later, despite "good" numbers (nitrate around 7, po4 around .04). I give up LOL. Every week with a WC I scrub part ofmy rock with a stiff toothbrush, while dosing vibrant (vibrant makes it weaker, so I can remove with toothbrush; without vibrant, it's strong enough I can't remove it that way). This keeps it under control, but certainly not gone. My GHA problem started when my nitrate was consistently at 2 and my po4 at .03. I never had nutrient issues when it developed, and clearly, controlling the nutrients hasn't fixed it either.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae will take up to a month before it dies, I’d be careful with overdosing it. The only people I knew who had issues in the original thread had overdosed it. I just stuck it out 6 weeks without changing water to make sure it was gone and stayed gone. I believe if my memory serves me correctly it took well over two weeks for my bryopsis to completely disappear and I had some hair algae that looked unaffected for 4 weeks before it started to die. If you’ve done any water changes during the treatment it seems to allow the algae to get a hold back on the system.

It worked fantastically for me, my tank has been bryopsis free for several years now, good luck.

Interesting. Well I did a wc when siphoned house sand out and redosed the 25g wc with flucon. I'm doing other half of sand this weekend. Most likely Sunday. Another 25g. So even though I added flucon to new fresh SW. Maybe I screwed it up. Therefore. Illl redose after I do this second sand siphon. And then I'll go a full 14-21 days with no waterchange and leave skimmer off for 3 or 4 days before turning it on

sdiaziii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious when dosing do you take into account the size of your sump to measure out dosage? My display is 120 Gallon and sump is the same so would I dose for 240 gallons or just 120 gallons?

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 7 days in to 12 pills on a 115 gal system...and the patches of briopsis is mostly gone but other hair and hybrid mossy algae still there and look pretty healthy... BUT water is tinted green.. and.. I think I need to stop & do water changes..and try again another time... because 1 sps has died and other 2 on their way..browning and shedding to white.. not sure if it's the flux or something else from taking carbon & skimmer offline & not doing water change.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 7 days in to 12 pills on a 115 gal system...and the patches of briopsis is mostly gone but other hair and hybrid mossy algae still there and look pretty healthy... BUT water is tinted green.. and.. I think I need to stop & do water changes..and try again another time... because 1 sps has died and other 2 on their way..browning and shedding to white.. not sure if it's the flux or something else from taking carbon & skimmer offline & not doing water change.
Some report lots of arcos bleach and die after treatment, seems like no specific pattern.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back