Bryopsis help

HTXReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I have bryopsis and not GHA. The kicker is I have a Refugium full of caulerpa and a thriving pod population for my mandarin. Don’t really want to kill my fuge. I read that flucanazole( probably wrong spelling) kills off bryopsis and caulerpa. Is there anything else I can use that wouldn’t be detrimental to my macro algae?
image.jpg
image.jpg

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis is the cockroach of pest algae!
I don't like dumping cures into my tank for stuff, but I've done the flucanozole thing. Manually remove everything you can, and move your macros to a bucket with a bit of flow and a desk lamp or your fuge light for a couple of weeks to keep it alive.

They say two weeks, but many (me included) find the last hangers-on are still there. I did two doses of fluconazole, with the second after a water change at the 14 day mark for 7 more days, then a big water change and ran lots of activated carbon for 48 hours.

Don't get discouraged if even after 10-12 days, it seems to not be working. All of a sudden one day to the next, it will start to go white and melt away.

Last edited:

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately fluconazole was the only thing that worked for my bryopsis after trying a multitude of different things. Like mentioned, remove your fuge for the dose period, and you can supplement with pods if you feel you need to for the mandarin

OP
OP
HTXReefer

HTXReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea I never thought about. I don’t have too heavy of a bio load but is there anything I’ll need to do during the two week dosage period for nutrient export. Or do I just depend on water change?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently dosing Fluc. I caught it early, so I’m hoping that one round will kill it off. I dosed Wednesday night, removed some dead algae already! my corals and fish seem completely unaffected.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pull your macro and put it in a bucket with a heater and a small powerhead and store it for the 2 weeks your dosing the fluconazole. I would also inspect the macro to make sure your not harboring any nusance algae within bc once you put it back your reintroducing it back into your system.

OP
OP
HTXReefer

HTXReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently dosing Fluc. I caught it early, so I’m hoping that one round will kill it off. I dosed Wednesday night, removed some dead algae already! my corals and fish seem completely unaffected.
That is good news. Luckily it’s isolated to a couple of spots and frag plugs right now. I picked up the Flucanazole today and will start it this evening

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back