bryopsis how should I get rid of it?

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 110% sure it’s bryopsis. How do I get rid of it? I’ve heard it’s one of the harder algae to deal with :(

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, fluconazole. Only way I got rid of mine in the end.

Except my large system 5-7 years ago. Really not sure how I did it, but over the course of 4-5months, I went from a 210g tank full of briopsis, to none. And never came back. I did not use fluconazole!

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 110% sure it’s bryopsis. How do I get rid of it? I’ve heard it’s one of the harder algae to deal with :(

In the past it was one of the harder ones to get rid of, now you can just use fluconazole and it'll clear it right up. Just make sure you follow the instructions and do the water change after.

Also, try to get as much out by hand before dosing, as the dead stuff will add to nutrients.

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to pile on here to see if people have advice for me and avoid starting a new thread.

My tank is 7 months old and I had bryopsis show up pretty early on and start to grow out everywhere in little tufts. I have done 2 full rounds of fluconazole (reef flux brand) per the instructions. 3 weeks, no carbon, let my skimmer overflow constantly back into the sump. In both cases, it appeared to completely eradicate the problem for about a month and then started coming back.

Thoughts? Should I try a bigger dose or keep it in there longer than 3 weeks? My tank does not have a nutrient problem, in fact I have to dose phosphates regularly, so it's not a problem to have the skimmer out of commission.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to pile on here to see if people have advice for me and avoid starting a new thread.

My tank is 7 months old and I had bryopsis show up pretty early on and start to grow out everywhere in little tufts. I have done 2 full rounds of fluconazole (reef flux brand) per the instructions. 3 weeks, no carbon, let my skimmer overflow constantly back into the sump. In both cases, it appeared to completely eradicate the problem for about a month and then started coming back.

Thoughts? Should I try a bigger dose or keep it in there longer than 3 weeks? My tank does not have a nutrient problem, in fact I have to dose phosphates regularly, so it's not a problem to have the skimmer out of commission.

mine always came back like 6 months or so later regardless how long I ran flux.

I took the rocks out that were infected and did a 10 min tank water and peroxide dip and scrub and that put and end to it.

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it’s actually bryopsis?
Well, I guess not, but it seems to behave like it. Nothing eats it, Flucanazole kills it. It's so hard to get a decent photo but I'll try. It seems to defy the iPhone's ability to focus :)

Here are a few pics. It's still in its early scraggly looking stage but it thickens up. It also tends to pop out of the base of some of my frags, not sure if that's where it came from or just likes it there or just coincidence. It also seems to grow in a lot of the crevices of my rockwork.

These aren't great but the best I could get today.

IMG-1396.jpg
IMG-1397.jpg
IMG-1399.jpg
IMG-1400.jpg

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine always came back like 6 months or so later regardless how long I ran flux.

I took the rocks out that were infected and did a 10 min tank water and peroxide dip and scrub and that put and end to it.
Unfortunately, taking rocks out is not possible for me. They are all interconnected with coral glued / encrusting all over the place.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess not, but it seems to behave like it. Nothing eats it, Flucanazole kills it. It's so hard to get a decent photo but I'll try. It seems to defy the iPhone's ability to focus :)

Here are a few pics. It's still in its early scraggly looking stage but it thickens up. It also tends to pop out of the base of some of my frags, not sure if that's where it came from or just likes it there or just coincidence. It also seems to grow in a lot of the crevices of my rockwork.

These aren't great but the best I could get today.

IMG-1396.jpg
IMG-1397.jpg
IMG-1399.jpg
IMG-1400.jpg

My understanding is that the bryopsis roots in the rock.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, taking rocks out is not possible for me. They are all interconnected with coral glued / encrusting all over the place.

ya mine were not glued...I never glue rocks because if you need to get a pest out... holy hell it becomes. I pulled most of the coral off... and sacrificed the encrusted parts left to the peroxide gods. I only had to dip 2 large rocks because when I saw it come back I was all over that **** before it could spread.

It was feasible for me... I cared more about getting rid of the bryopsis once and for all then the corals. They can regrow from frags was my thought. They can't regrow if choked out by algae. Stuff like zoas and even acans and such can handle diluted peroxide just fine, they just get ticked off. SPS can not though but easy to frag.

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I’ll get it today or tomorrow , just fed bryopsis yesterday so might have to wait depending
Are you sure it's bryopsis? And you're feeding it? I think the reason for the original reply is that it's generally understood that CUC don't touch bryopsis. My snails, tang, emerald crab, etc have not touched this stuff.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back