bryopsis how should I get rid of it?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's bryopsis? And you're feeding it? I think the reason for the original reply is that it's generally understood that CUC don't touch bryopsis. My snails, tang, emerald crab, etc have not touched this stuff.
Yea it 100% is , the stalks look like mini ferns my tangs also love to eat caulerpa brachypus which I didn’t expect , used to be infested with that stuff

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis also contains unique chemical properties, most notably, Kahalalide F (KF), a depsipeptide that is being studied for its antitumor properties in human cancer cells and also has important ecological significance in protecting the algae against herbivory.

That is just from wiki (ya I am lazy)... but again...Bryopsis is a genus so it contains a lot of related algaes.

I guess I hate it less if it can help with cancer research.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While flux can slow it doen, its Not the answer. You must get rid of the roots.
First pull what you can by hand - More the better.
Then using a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull off the roots. YOU MUST remove roots or it will keep coming back.
You can then reduce white light intensity . Add cleaners to finish cleanup such as Emerald crabs (which I do not trust, LG astrea snails. chiton snails, Pitho crabs, and pin cushion urchins.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
pitho crab, dolabella sea hare, lettuce nudibranch all eat the stuff. dealt with it myself but my pitho crab does the job.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’d love to see a video of your tangs and lawnmower eating bryopsis!
100% worst video ever , I didn’t really have enough bryopsis due to feeding the other day but I got a little bit. The bryopsis growns in refugium return pump and I eject it by turning pump on full

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I’ll get it today or tomorrow , just fed bryopsis yesterday so might have to wait depending

Most fish and inverts won’t eat Bryopsis because it’s a very bitter algae unlike GHA or Turf. If you have tangs and inverts eating this stuff then we will need to clone them. :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back