Bryopsis in Fuge For Nutrient Export?

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a red (with a few blues) grow light over my fuge for about 16 hours per day. When I first set my tank back up, I noticed a couple of small patches of bryopsis in my rock. Well, that went away on its own, but now it is flourishing in my fuge and is nowhere to be found in my DT.

Should I continue letting it grow down there and use it as a nutrient exporter as I trim it?...or is the risk of it getting in my DT too high and I should just treat it with fluconazole?

Side note: my chaeto barely grows and my dragons breath grows only a little.

Thoughts?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump_zps33fd2ad3-1.gif

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, Nice!! Looks like its doing a good job, as long as it stays put

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not, it spreads way to easily for my comfort level. And IME it has a strange proclivity of coming back from nowhere when mag drops below 1300.

That said I wouldn’t jump to using meds on the tank either.

Just keep harvesting the bryopsis every day or two and get something else growing to out compete it.

I’m using a small ATS that churns out the hair algae~
27bcad5de37ac51aebbfd8bbd9f68efe.jpg

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bryopsis attack in my dispkay a few months ago. Could not even pull it out cause the roots are so firmly attached. Compared to hair algae etc. Finally I scrubbed the rocks. And one yellow tang removed area clean. And now my acropora overgrown it.

I would not use meds yet

I saw in your clump Hair algae. Bubble algae. And maybe bryopsis.
I would try to encourage growth of hair algae on a plate in sump. And also chaeto. I would try a different light bulb Chaeto also has to be turned once in a whole

Hope you have a tang in display. They will keep all algae down to minimum

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back