Bryopsis in new FOWLR tank

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a 220 gallon FOWLR going for about a month. It currently houses a black dogface puffer, zebra eel, and red breasted wrasse. I'm looking into my options of getting rid of this ugly looking algae. Any and all opinions are appreciated.
IMG_0074.JPG

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis is no fun. Fluconozole seems to be a nuclear option, but rasping and peroxide are another solid option. You might consider controlling your nutrients to help minimize potential algae issues, but that certainly isn't a fix-all.

One option you have with a FOWLR is doing a blackout. No light means the algae will die off and your filtration system will have the opportunity to remove the nutrients from the system.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis is no fun. Fluconozole seems to be a nuclear option, but rasping and peroxide are another solid option. You might consider controlling your nutrients to help minimize potential algae issues, but that certainly isn't a fix-all.

One option you have with a FOWLR is doing a blackout. No light means the algae will die off and your filtration system will have the opportunity to remove the nutrients from the system.
I started a blackout today...how long should that be 3 days? I also went ahead and bought the fluconozole just in case. I didn't know if there was a something that may eat it but I'm sure my puffer would go for it first.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days is commonly recommended. Being FOWLR, you may be able to go longer or more often without negative repercussions.

I don't think any of your fish will go for the bryopsis.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days is commonly recommended. Being FOWLR, you may be able to go longer or more often without negative repercussions.

I don't think any of your fish will go for the bryopsis.
I was thinking something more along the lines of nudibranch but I havent been able to see if a puffer would go for it or not.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back