Bryopsis or gha?

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4 months in to saltwater Aquariums and I have strands of long algae all over. Not dense groups but spread out. I've been manually removing rocks and scrubbing assuming gha but have just learned about bryopsis which seems to have a different path. What is this?
20230106_082845.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good pictures here

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Bryopsis started growing at the 3 month mark and disappeared about 2 months later, I presumed that other types of algae started to grow and outcompeted it. I pulled a few clumps of it out occasionally but took no other action.

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the confirmation. I suppose I'll try to manage by removing rocks and scrubbing it off but plan b seems fluconazole is the most popular option

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the confirmation. I suppose I'll try to manage by removing rocks and scrubbing it off but plan b seems fluconazole is the most popular option
Flux will work, but be cautious using it. A very common invader tends to appear right after a fluconazole treatment....Dinos. Its how I got them using flux to battle bad GHA. If you do, do it better than me and watch your nutrient levels.

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flux will work, but be cautious using it. A very common invader tends to appear right after a fluconazole treatment....Dinos. Its how I got them using flux to battle bad GHA. If you do, do it better than me and watch your nutrient levels.
What would your approach be if you did it over again?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I wish. Mine just cruise around, steal food from rock flowers and look cool. Literally the only time I see them eat algae is off of the bottom of my torches....
Yeah I get they can be hit or miss. Just threw it out there because I put one in my sump and it did work but I wasn't directly feeding it either :rolleyes:

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would your approach be if you did it over again?
I would test nitrates and phosphates every single day, and have nitrates and reef roids on hand to keep both detectable.
My nutrients plummeted to zeros during treatment.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get they can be hit or miss. Just threw it out there because I put one in my sump and it did work but I wasn't directly feeding it either :rolleyes:
Dont get me wrong, I love em, never had any issues with them. They just rather eat whatever they find, or murder the occasional snail than go on an algae binge.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont get me wrong, I love em, never had any issues with them. They just rather eat whatever they find, or murder the occasional snail than go on an algae binge.
Mine wasn't a killer but it did "murder" a $60 chaeto order from algae barn in one night lol. Gave it to a friend after that. That said, they're high on my list if I ever have to deal with some algae again..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back