Bryopsis??

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, would this possibly be Bryopsis Algae? When I manually remove it, it grows back within a few days. If it is Bryopsis what would be the best way to get rid / control it? I've read that it is the some of the hardest types of algae to eradicate.

IMG_2382.jpeg

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure mine is byropsis..
Byropsis.jpg
Been battling this for some months now. I'm able to pick some of them out but they grow back in a week. I have a lawnmower blenny but he doesn't seem to touch this stuff. Also had an emerald crab that worked more what little GHA i had but she didn't really touch this stuff either. Are there any natural predators to this stuff? I'm afraid to use Reef Flux because of the possibility of losing some corals.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, would this possibly be Bryopsis Algae? When I manually remove it, it grows back within a few days. If it is Bryopsis what would be the best way to get rid / control it? I've read that it is the some of the hardest types of algae to eradicate.

IMG_2382.jpeg

I do not think that is bryopsis. As others have mentioned, it typically looks fern like. What makes it so hard to kill and get rid of is that it roots into the rocks

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see that fen look in that last picture so I say it is bryopsis. I had awesome success with reef flux and no side affects at all

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Byropsis.jpg
Been battling this for some months now. I'm able to pick some of them out but they grow back in a week. I have a lawnmower blenny but he doesn't seem to touch this stuff. Also had an emerald crab that worked more what little GHA i had but she didn't really touch this stuff either. Are there any natural predators to this stuff? I'm afraid to use Reef Flux because of the possibility of losing some corals.
Byropsis.jpg

I had used Reef flux with hundreds of corals and no issue

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently battled bryopsis used Reef Flux it cleared up in 14 days, if you follow the directions correctly and don't over dose it works great all my Corals look perfect had no side effects what so ever.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be tough to find available but abalones are known to eat bryopsis(and most algaes). Have seen some say their abalone did not eat bryopsis but i always had good luck with them.

Make sure it is Haliotis asinina or another warmer water species if you go that route though.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Byropsis.jpg

That is bryopsis. Reef Flux works and didn't have any effects on my coral. Just follow the instructions. I don't keep acro's, so if you do then maybe ask someone else, but no bad effects for me on my LSP, softies and a few easier SPS.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back