BTA ate my bonded male clownfish...what are my options for another fish?

machtuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work to find the male clown gone and the nem looking like it had just been fed. When I left, the male was in the process of becoming a hostee. I'm guessing the slime coat was still in the works or the fish was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Either way, nothing I can do now. The clownfish did not jump out and is not lost in the rocks. The clown pair I bought was bonded. What are my options for adding another clown to the tank, if that's even possible, or should I get rid of the nem altogether? I had plans for a Dottyback and a Royal Gramma, but this is making me seriously reconsider having a nem in the tank. The nem is well cared for with ample lighting, the right water conditions, correct flow and is broadcast fed for the most part. It has never looked unhealthy, bleached or moved around the tank. I guess my good luck streak ran out!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had that happen (where a BTA ate a clown or any fish, and I don't feed my BTA's!) but you can add a new small male. They may bicker a bit but unless the female is exceptionally aggressive, they can re-pair.

You sure it wasn't sick?

Radu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work to find the male clown gone and the nem looking like it had just been fed. When I left, the male was in the process of becoming a hostee. I'm guessing the slime coat was still in the works or the fish was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Either way, nothing I can do now. The clownfish did not jump out and is not lost in the rocks. The clown pair I bought was bonded. What are my options for adding another clown to the tank, if that's even possible, or should I get rid of the nem altogether? I had plans for a Dottyback and a Royal Gramma, but this is making me seriously reconsider having a nem in the tank. The nem is well cared for with ample lighting, the right water conditions, correct flow and is broadcast fed for the most part. It has never looked unhealthy, bleached or moved around the tank. I guess my good luck streak ran out!
Sorry to hear about your loss.
You can buy another small male and your female can pair up again, I have done it succesfully and they lay clutches.
Size is the most important factor, you can also look at the eyes of your clown to tell if percula or occelaris and try to keep same as before for better luck.

OP
OP
machtuck

machtuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had that happen (where a BTA ate a clown or any fish, and I don't feed my BTA's!) but you can add a new small male. They may bicker a bit but unless the female is exceptionally aggressive, they can re-pair.

You sure it wasn't sick?
Yea wasn't sick. The fish was spending a lot of time in the nem, laying inside of it etc. I'm guessing it was wrong place, wrong time and without the slime coat, the nem thought it was food, or the fish got stung and couldn't recover in time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back