BTA moved after weeks of being in the same spot

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA was just looking awesome. Great color, eating well, never closed up, and the tips were finally bulbing out so I thought it was happy in this spot. Yesterday morning it was where it always was. then a few hours later I found it behind a rock between it and the glass where no light can possibly get to it. What is going on do you think? Will it move back into the light or has it decided to die?

IMG_1978.JPG

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Nems do this and are unpredictable. Did you make any changes recently? IE: flow, lighting, dosing, water change, temp fluctuation... The majority of mine stay on their rock(s) but I've had a couple wander the tank. They may sit for months then one day they're behind a rock or the overflow. Recently one of my smaller ones actually turned my return nozzle. Word of caution cover your powerheads and overflow(s)

IMG_7028.JPG IMG_7029.JPG

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Nems do this and are unpredictable. Did you make any changes recently? IE: flow, lighting, dosing, water change, temp fluctuation... The majority of mine stay on their rock(s) but I've had a couple wander the tank. They may sit for months then one day they're behind a rock or the overflow. Recently one of my smaller ones actually turned my return nozzle. Word of caution cover your powerheads and overflow(s)

IMG_7028.JPG IMG_7029.JPG
I did just move the two power heads to the top of the tank to get some more indirect flow over everything but that was a week ago and I thought the anemone really liked the change. I just don't want to stay where it is now cause its not getting any light there

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe something is bothering it fish, etc. It should move out from the rock for a light source. What are your params? Mine get irritated when there's a param swing - usually SG.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did all my tests on Sunday and these are the results

Temp 78F
Salinity 35 ppt
pH 8.2 API
Alkalinity 8.4 dKH Red Sea
Calcium 440 ppm Red Sea
Magnesium 1520 ppm Red Sea
Phosphate is between .03 and .1 ppm Salifert
Nitrate 2 ppm Salifert

I did a salinity and alkalinity test today because I do those every day and salinity is 35 ppt and alk is 8.4 dKH. My tests are pretty consistent week to week. Calcium is slowly coming down so I am probably going to start dosing soon.

Hopefully it will move soon. I was really happy with how it was doing and I have never seen anything bother it except the black long spine urchin when it goes over it like it goes over everything.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has stayed in the same spot now for two weeks and seems happy but it's a bummer cause I can't see it when looking in the front of the tank. I also worry cause it's impossible to target feed it where it is. I hope it gets some now and then when I broadcast feed the frozen stuff.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a turkey baster and blow mysis or what ever your feeding it in it's direction. Maybe coax it to come out of hiding. That or turn power heads off for a short time and lay food near it. They are unpredictable

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have virtually no control over where It wants to live, but, It will move to the spot which it feels most comfortable.

I had mine right smack in the Centre of my DT for a year, then one day he moved to the upper right back corner on top of a wave maker and has been their for more than a year now.
11A6BFB0-5E28-411F-8DF4-4002FBA4C1CB.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back