BTA need help.

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had my salt water tank for almost a year now, Live sand, dead rock healthy pod population came in on its own, fish doing great, never lost 1 thing yet "Knock on wood" after 6 months as advised i got my first bubble tip anemone, ive been feeding it a little piece of raw macheral fish about twice a month, frozen mysis and such are added to the tank multiple times a week. Also my BTA has chosen on its second day where it wanted to live and was doing amazing. but over the last few weeks its been coiled up and shrunk... ive recently seperated it in a plastic seperation box in the aquarium i need advice on whats possibly wrong.
20190719_183508.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s go through the easy stuff:
New lights?
More/less flow recently?
Parameter check?
New coral or fish addition?

He doesn’t look terribly bad so I wouldn’t be super worried (bleached or crazy deflated).

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at first i thought the issue was lighting because i use a Aquaknight, "not a very strong light but beautiful" it did ok for a long time then deflated one day, i upgraded to a blackbox thinking it needed higher par still no change. Flow is the same, parameters i wouldnt know as far as alk,mg and that stuff people test, ive always just done my 1-2 week water changes with the same mix. Coral wise i did add a GSP frag, zoa colony and red cap mushroom i think its called?

its just such a huge deflate from the regular, before he was wide open nearly the size of my palm with tenticles reaching everywhere "without the bubble tip" but now hes usually coiled, but i do see slightly more bubble in tips?

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check your parameters and leave it alone. Also stop feeding it. They tend to sulk with any changes to the tank and will move to a happy place again.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have just let him be and get yourself at least a cheap test kit. You can buy the $22 Saltwater Master API kit so you know at least the basic parameters.

Are you using tap or RODI?

Nems are weird. If it isnt melting, bleaching, or losing tentacles I wouldn't worry too terribly much.

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i have the basic test kit :) using RODI water for sure, well, thanks alot guys you did help put my mind at ease some, just disapointing it was so beautiful for a while then deflation.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put him back in the tank, he'll probably go back to normal, dont mess with him unless he literally starts falling apart, and dont feed him for a few weeks. He looked okay to me in the pic. They puff up, get stringy, hide etc. But I would bet that theres a water parameter out of whack. Def get test kits.

Back