BTA shrunk, turned white, been living this way for 6+ months?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... lifeline time. :)

I got my BTA 5 years ago. Started around 3in fully opened. My clown fish immediately took up residence. For 4 years it grew and thrived up to probably 8+ inches across. About a year ago it split which was so amazing! One died off - who knows why. The other remained for 6mos or so... Then about 6 months ago it started shrinking. It moved down from the top of the tank where it had been to down under a rock. Now it's back to around 4in opened. It has lost all it's color, it's now white, but still opens and closes out to the light. The clownfish still live with it.

But for the past 6 months it's been living this way - white, 4in, doesn't seem to be growing, still opening and closing.

Water parameters check out.
My lights are nice strong Mitras LX7 (and hasn't changed in years).

I really don't know where to go...

Is there some non-normal water parameter that maybe I'm not checking that it doesn't love?

Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks for any thoughts.

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine split about six months ago and the pieces walked around a bit, and have stayed small and mostly closed until two weeks ago they started opening, but are still small...

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never done one yet either. Still pretty new. But it seems like it could tell you something freaky in your water if nothing seems off.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done an icp?
Its not a bad idea to do one, if you cant find anything else wrong.

First i would check all pumps, powerheads, skimmer, to make sure the impellers havent rusted or anything. All magnets as well including those on frag racks
Is there some non-normal water parameter that maybe I'm not checking that it doesn't love?
Have you double checked all parameters and checked expiration dates of test kits?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back